Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Pack] Psychic World (SMS)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
[VGM Pack] Psychic World (SMS)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 pm
http://www.smspower.org/Music/PsychicWorld-SMS

Pack by Johnnyz.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 am
The musics are actually ported / arranged from the 3 years before released game Psycho World, on MSX 2 ... aren't they? I think it should be added to the pack..

(Or maybe I should add to the pack...) XD

The composers are Kenji Yamazaki and Yuko Yamazaki ... at least that's what say in Psycho World's credits screen... +D
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am
Do they sound the same?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:30 am
Hey guys. I looked at the pack for psychic world. The SMS version is logged at 60hz despite only listing one pal release. It is not tagged PAL Only. It does mention that it was originally an msx release.

Do you know if it was logged 60hz to coincide with how the msx version sounded or some other reason?

There's always little facts that aren't always mentioned on the appropriate page. Is it a pal game with music that is meant to play back at 60hz?

The GG version doesn't have the volcano theme in game and also the id doesn't trigger a song. There seems to be an entire level eliminated in the GG version. The music seems to be disabled as well. Even if it exists, it seems to have been disabled (deliberately removed from several locations where the id would be listed).

I was going to wait on this and ignore the issue, but then decided it would be faster to make SGCs of each game. There is an existing one for GG. I made one from scratch and added sfx ids. ID values are obtained from the rom.

For some reason, the GG effects don't all work in the sgc. They all work in the SMS version. In that sense the sms version is complete, and the GG...might be. There seem to be some disabled sfx in the GG, however some work in game but not the sgc. There are a lot of differences in the sound bank between the two versions. This isn't too surprising since there are a good amount of changes between the two games.

This sms SGC is set to 50hz under the assumption this game should be like the other Pal SIMS games (run at different speed than GG versions).

SMS SGC at 1.10
GG SGC at 1.05 (unsolved issue with some sfx)

If they are supposed to be the same, this would be another case where the SMS/GG packs could have been combined and the pages linked.
Psychic World (E) [!]-SMS.zip (9.67 KB)
50hz 14/57 tracks
Psychic World (U) [!]-GG.zip (9.81 KB)
60hz 13/56 tracks

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:07 pm
Psychic World SMS is not a PAL exclusive.
It was released in Brazil by Tectoy.

And considering that this a port of a MSX game, i would assume that the music was written to be played at 60hz.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:09 pm
It was certainly made in Japan. It's hard to judge what's right for the VGM pack...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:53 pm
OK. Good answers. Only saw one release version on the page- I guess that's for confirmed dumps. So I guess, I'd lean in saying the vgm pack is "correct".

I did someting similar with the recent "Battlemaniacs". It was planned as a 50hz but released in brazil, so it was logged at 50hz despite not being "correct"

I think that's one of the good things about vgms. You can address other historically relevant concerns. You can do it with sgcs as well, or by changing the playback rate in the player.

I'm leaving it for last, but one day, I'm going to have to go through the sms/gg games to see how well they match. SMS has these extra curve balls which is why I tend to be more hesitant to dive in to log some titles.

Would it be appropriate to link the GG version's page to the SMS pack? The only difference is the extra track the SMS has (due to the extra level).

Thanks guys
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!