SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Asking for some OSTs

Reply to topic
Asking for some OSTs
Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Hi!

Sorry if this is not the place, but I really NEED to obtain some OSTs from Master System games (normal chip, not FM), and I don't know how to do it!!

In my opinion, the best game music in the Master System is the music from this games:

Shadow of the Beast
Golvellius
Sonic
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Arcade Smash Hits

Some songs from this titles, not all the songs... but I really want to have them! Could anyone, please, tell me how I could extract the music from this titles? In MP3, if possible...

And someone could tell me more amazing Master System soundtracks? I'm a Master System player since 1989, and I really think the games above have the best music!

Sorry if this is the wrong place! Thanks and bye!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:36 pm
This isn't the wrong place, at all! :)
In fact, this is the very place where Master System and Game Gear music preservation started for the most part. Thanks to the work of Maxim and some other great people alongside him, there has been a comprehensive effort during more than a decade, and you can find the results in the Music section of this website, also accessible from the navigation links in the top right corner.

However, you won't find MP3s there. Long story short, the MP3 compression doesn't really play nice with square waves (more on this if you at least know who Fourier is), not to mention that MP3 files are in the magnitude of megabytes, which wasn't negligible back then. A better format was developed: VGM. It allows for (almost) 1:1 preservation of the original songs, with filesizes in the magnitude of hundreds of bytes.

Of course VGM files can't be directly replayed by most portable music players (though plugins might exist for some of them, as well as certain mobile devices), though it's trivial enough to convert them from VGM to MP3 (maybe using WAV as an intermediate step if you're more comfortable with that) with Winamp or in many other ways. Take a stroll in the Software subsection from the Music section linked above, and see how much you can figure out by yourself. I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm more than willing and more than happy to guide you through the whole process step by step. But I always feel that personal exploration is the best way to truly learn and understand something. If you hit a brick wall, post here again, and I (or someone else depending on your timezone) will gladly help you in your quest :)

Good luck!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:33 am
I see you're new here. Welcome.

This forum is the proper place for such questions. Tom linked you to the most appropriate section. Most of the titles you are interested in have been logged. There are a few there that fall in the 50hz category. These tend not to get logged since it is hard to know what the proper speed is unless you played or owned the original.

The first thing to do would be to check out the VGMs section of the Music area Tom linked you to. That's everything that has been fully processed for your listening pleasure. In addition, this forum hosts a number of packs that have been processed, but not yet added to the site's vgm area.

Since your requests seem to all be Master System games, there is also another thread in this forum which hosts ~43 logged titles. They hae not been processed, but you can download and listen if you want to.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/15362-VGMPacksMasterSystemMegaCollection

In addition there are also other site a machine based format called SGC. An older format KSS also exists thought it does not support 50hz playback like some of your titles require. Those titles also do not feature existing SGCs. However, you might find many outside that list which are available. Besides the original source, I've only ever found it on Zophar's Domain Music area. They seem to be the same files. A few games were added since the original pack was created, but not many.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/12681-SGCFormat#63573

Neither SGC/KSS ever became very popular, as this site focuses on vgms which have distinct advantages. You should download either winamp and the plugins from the music area of this site or foobar2000 and its corresponding plugins. (There's a relevant link in th is forum area in_vgm announcment)

Vgm logging: Download meka from this site. I recommend this one:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/post86895#86895

It lets you start and stop loging by using Alt+V.
Though I think there's an updated version on Github.

If you want to log your titles, you will need to obtain a copy of the rom fo the game you are looking for. They are available in various places on the net. If you are logging Pal 50hz games, you will need to set the Machine>TV-Type to Pal/Secam. Otherwise the music will be 120% faster. Brazilian games are logged at 60hz. Changing the speed of the emulator by increasing the frame rate does not affect vgm logging. So you can log 6-9 minutes of music in one minutes time by maxing the speed..

There is a comprehensive Music Trigger thread linked to in this forum that lists how to access the music for each game. I recommend you start with easier ones if you want control. Otherwise just log as you play. It should be good enough if you are only looking for enjoyment.

Be prepared to read a bit at first. However, once you get your bearings, it's pretty easy. It may take a while to adjust if you've never dealt with the concepts mentioned on the site.

I think that should be more than enough to get you started.
Best way to learn is to try things out, make mistakes, and then ask questions.

Good luck!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:54 pm
Really nice and comprehensive answers! I will look, and I will try.

Thank you very much!!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!