Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [homebrew release] Waimanu: Scary Monsters Saga

Reply to topic
[homebrew release] Waimanu: Scary Monsters Saga
Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:10 pm
Our planet is threatened by Wekas, red and evil alien jellies who invade Earth with the intention of colonizing it and subduing all forms of life. Despite being only a little blue penguin, our hero the daring Waimanu will face the invader to defend the freedom of our planet.

Here's the official announcement post on our blog (includes video footage)

How to play [short explanation]
Waimanu should squash the Wekas pushing blocks against them.
Walls will vibrate if hit and will stun leaning Wekas making them vulnerable.
Lots of points are awarded for lining up the three special blocks in every level.

- Direction pad to move our hero around
- 1/START to push/break blocks and to hit walls
- 2 to use a special feature (available if you picked up a bonus... read the full "How to play" for more details)
- PAUSE to pause/unpause the game. Let your fingers rest when needed :)

Complete how to play instructions.

4 different areas with their own tune and effects and 8 different levels per area are provided for your enjoyment.

Download at: http://disjointedstudio.blogspot.com

The game has been tested mainly on Emulicious and MEKA emulators and on my PAL SMS II (at both 50/60Hz) using a Master EverDrive. Should run correctly also on an original SMS and on a Genesis/MegaDrive.

We hope that you enjoy the game. If you spot bugs or hardware glitches, please let us know. Thank you! :)
menu.png (7.29 KB)
Menu screen
menu.png
area1.png (10.02 KB)
Area 1
area1.png

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:15 pm
Very nice !
reminds me a lot of Kickle Cubicle/Meikyū Shima ;)
Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:22 pm
Very nice take on Pengo! It looks and sounds lovely and, most importantly, it plays great as well. Congratulations!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:35 pm
Thanks! :) Also, let's post your highscore... I'm giving you few days to master it, of course ;)

Also, how many of you noticed we waited Friday 13th to release it? Unfortunately it doesn't happen very often... ;)
Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:48 pm
Fantastic job! It looks and feels good - a very polished production. The game really welcomed me and made me feel like I was a natural talent... then I realized I had been playing on easy mode. But I guess this means the controls/gameplay is intuitive :) Congratulations to sverx and friends!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 pm
Very nice game! Very polished presentation.
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:04 am
Wow, this is good stuff.

Are you planning to make physical copy?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:36 pm
Thank you for this excellent homebrew release!

Not that it matters, but according to the SMS Power Development Section, the rom header specifies an incorrect rom size (32KB instead of 128KB).
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Thanks guys :)
Also, feel free to post here if you have criticism or if you find bugs, instead of writing me PMs. We don't feel offended :)

hang-on wrote
The game really welcomed me and made me feel like I was a natural talent... then I realized I had been playing on easy mode.

The difficulty curve is sort of exponential, so that you're supposed to quite easily learn how to play and get up to the third area... and struggle from there on ;)
In hard mode you get the same curve just with more Wekas to fight with, and they're also slightly more aggressive, and you've also got less time for each level. I suggest you try to master the game at easy mode first :)

@Revo: we're discussing about it. What's your opinion? :)

@pcfreak324: true. WLA-DX makes this so that the boot is faster. Many commercial games do this too. I guess it shouln't cause any side effect on any system.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:37 pm
sverx wrote
The difficulty curve is sort of exponential, so that you're supposed to quite easily learn how to play and get up to the third area... and struggle from there on ;)
In hard mode you get the same curve just with more Wekas to fight with, and they're also slightly more aggressive, and you've also got less time for each level. I suggest you try to master the game at easy mode first :)

Very nice! I'll install this game on my main gaming setup, and include it in the everyday gaming sessions. I won't promise I'll ever get to master it, though. I'm still trying with Bruce Lee. And also with Hokuto No Ken. But I will post my highscore sometime during next week! :)
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:45 pm
It is awesome!
I wish there was a 2nd player co-op as in the megadrive's pengo
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:35 pm
sverx wrote

@Revo: we're discussing about it. What's your opinion? :)

I think every good homebrew game should have physical copies but only with brand new material, pretty easy for the electronic pcb, plastic boxes, cover, manual but like always the problem is cartridge case... You can use Megadrive one (it's not looking good on SMS1^^ but easy to found brand new) or you can maybe wait a little bit about a french project on the famous ultimate-consoles.fr forum ;)

sverx wrote

@pcfreak324: true. WLA-DX makes this so that the boot is faster. Many commercial games do this too. I guess it shouln't cause any side effect on any system.

Yep, he did good.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:43 pm
Sverx, PM or mail me.
I've got some new "blank" SMS pcb ;)
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:58 am
Nicely done Sverx! :)

You weren't tempted to wait until next years comp? ;-) I'm sure you would have cleaned up with this one.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:35 am
So professional. Presentation is very nice.

How long did it take you guys?
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:20 am
efry wrote
You weren't tempted to wait until next years comp?

No, actually I would have preferred to finish it in time for this year (2015) compo... :(

psidum wrote
How long did it take you guys?

Too much. It started as a learning project when I just finished reading Maxim's tutorial (we never thank you enough!) in Oct. 2013. Then I had to code PSGlib to support music and SFXs, and my friends had to learn how to use Deflemask for the audio assets (we really could't find a perfect tool for SFXs creation, unfortunately...). Various RL issues also got in the way, making the effort take approximately one year longer than expected.

Also, this is my first game ever which I completely wrote in ASM... and probably the last. We're not going to share the full souce code... but if you're interested in specific parts of the code (for example: how we handle tilemap updates queue, or 7(8)-digits BCD score/hiscore routines, etc...) I think I can share some snippets :)
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:01 pm
Nice nice game, congratulations !

sverx wrote
if you're interested in specific parts of the code (for example: how we handle tilemap updates queue, or 7(8)-digits BCD score/hiscore routines, etc...) I think I can share some snippets :)

Please develop the "tilemap updates queue" concept, it puzzles me ;)
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:32 pm
sverx wrote
we really could't find a perfect tool for SFXs creation, unfortunately...).

It took me a lot of experimenting until I got the sound effects for Bruce Lee just right. What helped me a lot was ripping sfx as vgm files from existing games with MEKA's help, then opening them in MOD2PSG2 to see how they were done. That gave me a good idea how certain effects were done.

However, there's a new way to create sfx now. You can use something like BFXR to create the effects, save them as .wav files then use furrtek's Talking PSG to convert them to vgm. You can then import them into MOD2PSG2 to further edit them and/or convert them to psg.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:58 pm
@vingazole: nothing fancy, I just meant to say that we had to create queues (and write code to handle them) because in the game logic code you want to update the screen background tilemap but it's not the right time to do that. Also, when you're finally at vblank stage, you want your updates to be as fast as possible, because there's a lot of things that you need done before next frame starts. The most important update queue in the game is the one that updates a block of 2x2 background tiles, you can easily see how many times we need to do that (a block is starting, a block is stopping, a block is breaking... and so on with some bonuses too...)

@Kagesan: that was a nice idea, indeed! About furrtek's tool, it just came too late, and we choose to stick to the SFXs we've done earlier.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:39 am
Great work!
You're efforts are really appreciated!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:57 am
Very nice game!! Congrats!

At first glance, i thought it was developed with smsdevKit, but it's ASM, wow!! Nice work!!

We at 1985Alternativo are working on making molds for Master System cartridges (we've already made molds for Nes and Megadrive). Maybe if you are interested on a physical release or something.

Nice to see movement on the scene!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 pm
Yes, it's ASM. In fact devkitSMS came when the game was already almost completely done...

We are very interested in SMS shell molds, of course, and I'm not the only one, so please keep us updated about that! :)
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:12 pm
We'll have news in some weeks :-)
Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 pm
OK - I'm getting into this game (and good thing it is so generous with extra lives). So far my highscore is 72542, and world 3, stage 5. And I discovered the cool pause-image!

Thumbs up Disjointed Studio!
Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 pm
hang-on wrote
good thing it is so generous with extra lives

Yes, but you have to earn them scoring lots of points, which in turn means that you actively must concentrate on lining up the diamond blocks on almost each and every level, so that you'll have a good amount of lives left to face the third and the fourth 'worlds'...

hang-on wrote
Thumbs up Disjointed Studio!

Thanks, I'll surely pass them to my mates :)
Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:55 pm
Sorry for update this topic after almost 3 years but i want to show the physical edition of my collection made by me of this great game.

Many Thanks to sverx for the Game, really awesome quality.

PS: i am working on Weka Invaders too, I will post soon.

https://youtu.be/e8CQib8-4gk
Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:41 pm
We're really happy you liked it! :) Great work with the box!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!