SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Whodunit: Rit's

Reply to topic
Whodunit: Rit's
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:35 am
GDRI entry: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Rit%27s

*Moldorian was actually listed on the Rit's website, so there's no need to get into that.

*Pet Club: Neko Daisuki! - Rit's is the company listed on this list of Hitoshi Sakimoto credits.

*Panzer Dragoon Mini - This is more of an educated guess. All three games share a font, have the same Sega logo on startup, and have sound by Hitoshi Sakimoto.

*Rit's also worked on the Shining Force games.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:00 pm
Wish I'd looked a little more carefully. Most of these game have the same music trigger type and address. Gunstar Heroes also has this feature, although the trigger is in different area. The value of the current song id is held in one location and then triggered (1 is fade out, 2 is start, 3 is stop)

Almost all Beam Software games use a similar, though different implementation of the engine found here, but the two adresses are further apart and in reverse order. The trigger is also a bit more conspicious. I spent a lot of time browsing through code for some of these titles before I discovered they were connected and mostly had the same trigger.

So I think the odds are, this claim is quite correct.

I always wonder how companies collaborate and how the engine gets decided. Gunstar Heroes, made by NuFx uses the "Rit" engine, but Beavis and Butthead does not. (still haven't figured that one out). The only Beam software game that doesn't use the same engine is co-developed with Teeny Weeny Games and uses Shaun Hollingworth's engine.

It would be nice to make this connection official. It helps to see the different interconnections between the game companies and the games when you're studying them.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:09 pm
I thought Gunstar Heroes was made by M2.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:38 pm
You're right :) Thought I had an error in my records, but nope, just read it wrong. So I guess it's not surprising that Gunstar Heroes uses a different engine than Beavis and Butthead :)

So far I think Only Gunstar Heroes is listed by M2. I looked closer through my notes, and House of Tarot and Phantasy Star Gaiden by Japan System Supply also use practically the same engine. (1= fade out, 2= start, 3=stop) but the order of the id/trigger is reversed.

So I wonder if there is a direct connection here. There are also cases were game companies seem to use an engine from another company on other titles after having collaborated on a title together. But I see no evidence of that here.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:53 am
We could ask the M2 guys.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:19 pm
That would be neat if you could. Though I was actually belaboring the link between Hitoshi Sakimoto, Rit, and these engines, since they all work similarly. Sakimoto is credited with Gunstar Heroes, so I guess I imagined he was contracted for that one, or some other arrangement.

Though now that I look at other sources (wikipedia) he isn't credited there. So I am not sure the what to think. But it would be good to confirm if there is any relationship among these companies that might not otherwise be obvious if it were not for the similarity (among all other games) of these different game companies.
Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 am
The president of Rit's, the artist known professionally as Hiroshi Kajiyama (who passed away in 2018), acknowledged working on Panzer Dragoon Mini on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/KAJIYAMA_/status/445265139743211520

@st01_madox
 イラストじゃないけどパンツァードラグーンミニの3Dモデルとかもやりました。Macがまだ8500とかの時代。 http://bit.ly/1dbeBNo
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!