Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Packs] Game Gear Mega Collection

Reply to topic
[VGM Packs] Game Gear Mega Collection
Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:05 am
For listening. For trimming. All GG games that could be logged without resorting to ROM hacking were logged. Some didn't have any convenient locations to log and were exluded. Mostly games by Sega, SIMS, Minato Giken and a few others (Aspect).

Packs Include playlist and proper logs. These have not been looped. Originally I intended to fully tag them, but at this point it would not be useful. Some packs have been tagged with generic titles for the track names. Some (not many) also include txt files.

For now, I am merely posting them and inviting those who wish to to trim them. I originally intended to rank them based on difficulty, but doing the bare preparatory work already took a huge amount of time based solely on the number, although I worked through the sets quickly.

I intent to write a more modern tutorial soon.
Aladdin (GG).vgm7z (74.69 KB)
Columns(GG).vgm7z (44.15 KB)
Dunk Kid's (GG).vgm7z (82.25 KB)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:33 am
continued...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:43 am
continued...
Ninku (GG).vgm7z (173.2 KB)
OutRun(GG).vgm7z (51.97 KB)
Royal Stone (GG).vgm7z (141.04 KB)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:02 am
continued...
Tanto-R (GG).vgm7z (44.07 KB)
Wimbledon (GG).vgm7z (47.02 KB)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:00 pm
really thank you!!
Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:37 pm
You're very welcome :)

Some of these have very nice music. There are still 100s that don't have an easy way to log yet, and many companies aren't represented at all in this sample. But it's enough to enjoy for a while. The songs are a bit longer than I would have preferred, but ~3:40 is more than enough for most loops.

The GG set despite being larger than the other two combined, has very few issues. Only a few games have issues, none serious.

These should be easy to listen to. I loaded them up into a giant playlist and let it play in the background. I'm not familiar with most of these games, especially those that were japanese release only like Sylvan tale or Eternal Legend (among others).

I've since fixed most of the issues with the SG/SMS sets, so feel free to check out those threads as well if you're interested.

Enjoy
Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:07 pm
Some of the ones I missed first round, either because I could find no convenient place to log or because the triggers were more complicated. I'll be posting as I do the work. I've been a bit distracted lately, or this batch might have been done a few days ago.

This includes a few sets from SIMS and Sega which I was not able to do the first time, reasons forgotten. The gems in this set are likely lunar and aleste, among others. I had to delete most compile sets I logged due to an incorrect region setting. They may be part of the next set.

This set differs from the first. A few more have text files. None have been tagged with placeholder names. Only one has a playlist, mainly because I hoped it would ignore those in a subdirectory. Sound effects, unless well done are in a subdirectories as are the original unsplit files. I tried logging file by file and it added so much time and delay to my work I decided against it. Where optimization was required to split, it will be obvious. Track names are file names.

As the first case, these are intended for listening for the curious. They are not proper packs, though they may be used to create one. Anyone wishing to use these logs as a basis for their work may feel free to remove my name from the tags. It is there largely as placeholder. The text is appropriately blank. This is in keeping with the idiom that if work was brief "<hour" it is better not to credit yourself. Information was gleaned from this site. An unknown author is not necessarily unknown. There name may be hidden somewhere or in the credits (where none posted), or obtained via other means.

As usual looping tracks are ~3:30. A different logging process was used this time and effects may not be trimmed as accurately as desired. But this was also sometimes an issue with the old method, and is more likely based on the sound engine. I accidentally broke the old script and started new.

More will follow, not necessarily shortly. I will be loading them in batches or as I go, so they will likely not be alphabetical. More likely by developer or trigger type, which may not be obvious.

Enjoy.
Ariel - The Little Mermaid (GG).zip (232.93 KB)
rename to vgm7z (extension changed due to file limits)
Frogger (GG).vgm7z (20.03 KB)
GG Aleste (GG).vgm7z (111.88 KB)
Shikinjou (GG).vgm7z (43.84 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:14 am
New Batch, mostly games that use one address for the trigger and another for the music track ID. Compile, Rit (possibly), Beam Software, and a few other small companies. The biggest representation is Compile. These are all the GG games that haven't been logged, with the exception of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Factory. There was a limit on the number of posts that can be attached, and the sms version is already available. Not sure if there is a difference between the two.

Despite the fact that in every case, a method of silence matching the one used by the game itself was employed, not a single one of these games split properly without optimizing. House of Tarot and Mini Panzer Dragoon seem the most problematic, with unexpected lengths for some tracks. I have not double checked with a vgm log. House of tarot would not split properly, even optimized, without lowering the values I usually use in sptd (200k) to 80k.

It's also possible the issue is due to the fact these tracks are logged with an external timer and there was a bit of slow down on the host machine during some of these logs affecting the uniformity of the lengths more than usual. In panzer dragoon's case, there is a strange bug, either specific to the game or in the emulators themselves. Several tracks trigger a machine reset in MEKA and crash into static in Emulicious. The sound test includes some tracks with this issue, and omits some that do not.

I decided starting with this pack to make the separation more explicit. Originally the vgm7z format was chosen merely to give the option of playing back the track easily without fuss. Unfortunately the large unsplit vgms included as a check on QA, so that my work can be independently investigated, add noise to that intention that is difficult to manage without careful attention to each set and a good playlist manager. From now on, the unsplit BGMs will be split up and zipped, since they are not intended for playback anyway. Double checking one set will require that two files be downloaded. This was considered a small sacrifice in exchange for a more pleasant listening experience.

The split, untrimmed vgms from each set will be saved to vgm7z for ease of playback. This set includes no extras. The have not been tagged either. This will probably be the more going forward. My initial intention was to have something in resemblance of a pack in progress.

Tagging itself, is not necessarily taxing, but anyone can do it easily if they wish, and for the moment it adds more distraction than preferred, hence the decision to simplify the submission.
unsplit sets pack 5 (GG).zip (4.69 MB)
these are the unsplit vgms for games in this set
Devilish (GG).vgm7z (34.5 KB)
Moldorian (GG).vgm7z (23.27 KB)
Nazo Puyo (GG).vgm7z (15.95 KB)
True Lies (GG).vgm7z (26.02 KB)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:29 am
Thanks for the rips! Maybe I can help out with the composer information. Tama & Friends was Koji Mikusa.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:55 am
New Batch. 18 New sets. Logged. Untrimmed. Untagged. No extras.

I have included the single-file logs in a separate archive corresponding to games in this set. All files are 7z/vgm7z format. If a file has a different extension, ir is because it is larger than the site will allow to attach to a post. A lot of manual logging, so some sets do not have an original single file, and are not represented in the unsplit pack.

Sports Trivia seems to have alot of ids that work, what I suspect to be extra gets its own pack. I am not familiar with the game. More than is listed could have been logged. I stopped at 77 tracks beyond the original 16 suspected to be the main in game set.

Intended to have this done a little over a day ago, but got a bit distracted and sidetracked.
original uncut GG pack 7.zip (694.99 KB)
renamed 7z
GP Rider (GG).vgm7z (22.79 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 am
I had these in the main directory for a while. While I was working on the GG Stereo project, I realized there were a few files that didn't seem to be on the site I knew I logged. I think maybe I was waiting for another full queue of files.

I'm not planning on mass logging anytime soon, so it could be a bit before the next post. I'll add as I get them done.

The Krusty log includes the voices. R.C. Grand Prix is ready to post if I were to prepare the extras. I never verified whether there was more than one song, though that seems to be the case.

Some new logs.
Krusty's Fun House (GG).zip (1.13 MB)
too big to post as vgm7z
NFL '95 (GG).vgm7z (8.08 KB)
Sonic The Hedgehog (GG).vgm7z (84.67 KB)
same as sms (+segaa voice)
Andre Agassi Tennis (GG).vgm7z (17.13 KB)
track trimmed, needs tags, extras
Chuck Rock (GG).vgm7z (26.74 KB)
Arena - Maze of Death (GG).vgm7z (89.41 KB)
added possibly invalid track (10)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:07 am
New Set. Individually Logged files will be the norm since I logged almost all games with known triggers when I first started this thread. Most in the previous post are also single logs.
NBA Jam (GG).vgm7z (10.02 KB)
NHL Hockey (GG).vgm7z (74.82 KB)
Pac-Man (GG).vgm7z (5.17 KB)
Superman (GG).vgm7z (17.05 KB)
Zool (GG).vgm7z (18.47 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:21 am
Thanks for the rips!
I know the composers for a lot of these, but I will not be able to work on these until January, as I recently dealt with the death of a family member.
Hope all is well with you. Take care!
Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 pm
Some more to add. I'll add more as I complete.

Cosmic Spacehead. Logged from location-strange issues. One track logged in two different places gave different loop results (though same loop length). Might be like Dizzy-you can't just load the id because there are other values necessary.
Alien 3 (GG).vgm7z (53.17 KB)
Home Alone (GG).vgm7z (23.35 KB)
not same as SMS version
Lemmings (GG).vgm7z (57.6 KB)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (GG).vgm7z (36.07 KB)
added voice track
Galaga '91 (GG).vgm7z (18.28 KB)
Cosmic Spacehead (GG).vgm7z (319.42 KB)
strange issues.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:50 am
Last edited by sherpa on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Many of these and some of the ones in the previous post have already been trimmed. I am leaving them here for now, but help tagging would be appreciated. Even if they aren't fully processed, many packs include a bit more info about the tracks.

Most of those at the top of this post have perfect loops.

To round out this set, I added three titles from Software Creations Ltd.

In this case, it seems the publisher had more to do with the sound engine, as Acclaim's sound engine with this developer has the same trigger and general layout. It's also difficult to isolate valid ids without serious sleuthing. More than what I did. Their songs also tend to confound lpfinder a bit since there are minor differences in pitch an volume from loop to loop. Still not difficult to figure aurally.

This Spider-man uses an engine similar to other flying edge games-everything loops exactly.
Buster Ball (GG).vgm7z (101.46 KB)
Junction (GG).vgm7z (66.01 KB)
Mappy (GG).vgm7z (62.25 KB)
Power Drive (GG).vgm7z (151.17 KB)
Chakan (GG).vgm7z (240.57 KB)
Greendog (GG).vgm7z (44.82 KB)
Tale Spin (GG).vgm7z (55.89 KB)
Super Golf (GG).vgm7z (56.48 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:18 pm
Thanks for your work here. What would you recommend as a VGM player?

I only really use MPC for my media needs but it doesn't seem to support VGM (at least, I have no codec for it).

Any tips are appreciated. :)
Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:57 pm
Hot_Violet wrote
Thanks for your work here. What would you recommend as a VGM player?

I only really use MPC for my media needs but it doesn't seem to support VGM (at least, I have no codec for it).

Any tips are appreciated. :)

I believe the preferred player for a lot of people is winamp with the in_vgm plugin or VGMPlay, both available from the software page http://www.smspower.org/Music/InVgm.

I personally prefer foobar2000 withe the foo_gep plugin.

I think others also use xmplay or nezplug++ but I almost never use them.

Lastly, there is Droidsound-E for your android device, but you might need to grab a copy from github as I think you can't download it from the android store in many countries.

Check the http://www.smspower.org/Music/Software page for a more complete list.

To extract these, anything that can work with rar/7z should work. These are really archives with the extensions changed to make it work with your default players.

You could also help contribute your own logs if you like, or do it for your own enjoyment if what you are looking for isn't here.

This page is also useful despite being a bit outdated.
http://www.smspower.org/Music/HowToMakeVGMs
I've written a tutorial updated with a variety of more modern practices http://www.smspower.org/Development/MusicEngineControl-Tutorials

If you're just here to enjoy what's available, that's fine also :)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:12 pm
Another Set.

Some of these only need to be tagged. Includes original files.

Some of these, I didn't log due to the extra care needed even though they had a trigger. Others, like the tiertex titles, I forgot about since I don't look at them anymore and they tend not to have many tracks.

Anything that remains undone is likely not easy to find loops for or a non looping track i did not bother to trim/compress.

I experimented a bit with the naming convention on a few of these sets, but i quickly reverted to the original once I found out what was affecting the file order.

So here you go.

Another Batch. Crispy.
Chase H.Q. (GG).vgm7z (19.18 KB)
Paperboy (GG).vgm7z (12.85 KB)
Predator 2 (GG).vgm7z (106.9 KB)
Soukoban (GG).vgm7z (64.94 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:31 am
Another set.

I'll add more as I finish.

The gems here are probably smurfs, Momotaru Densetsu, and Strider. The olympic games also have good music.

update: Removed super Kick Off since I'm not sure I have all the tracks as I haven't hacked the engine. I think I will save those for last..

Added packs mostly by unknown developers. A few of these I studied a bit way back when, but didn't log.

Global Gladiators & Cool Spot may be incomplete as far as hidden tracks go. The Sound engine allows alot of values that play something coherent, but are not necessarily mapped to a song intentionally. I added some info to the txt.
Shaq Fu (GG).vgm7z (55.6 KB)
Star Wars (GG).vgm7z (194.09 KB)
Cool Spot (GG).vgm7z (68.61 KB)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 pm
This is the last stretch. What remains are titles I have not confirmed tracks for but have hacked and those with a sound test or that may have only one track (3-7).

Everything is logged good enough for a listen at the least.

Most of these have been trimmed where possible as in the few earlier posts.

Alot of these are Probe and Spidersoft, which I put off logging since they have sms counterparts.

Also included Terminator, which was one of the first games I fully decoded but overlooked to log. It is almost ready for a pack if i can decide whether/how to combine tracks from the SMS/GG versions into one set, or to just release separately since some tracks differ by more than a few seconds and I don't want to include almost duplicates in the same pack. VGM Packs are mainly for enjoyment anyway, and it would be useful to show how the tracks are used in each game. Could be why i didn't work on it. I no longer remember.

Finally we have Chicago Syndicate. The game uses at least two music functions and loads music in 3 ways. Fortunately the sound test seems to have all valid IDs. Will probably have to inestigate a bit more or play the game through to verify. Mickey is likely complete.
Hook (GG).vgm7z (23.79 KB)
Paperboy 2 (GG).vgm7z (13.32 KB)
Road Rash (GG).vgm7z (108.12 KB)
Stargate (GG).vgm7z (159.82 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:17 pm
All those with hacks have been done. I will be going through the remaining games and logging those that are easy to get through. I might be able to figure a few of these out, but more likely, it's not worth it in some cases. Many of these don't have alot of music anyway.

For the ones that do, like Griffin, I might persist if I think I can figure it out in a timely manner, otherwise partial logs, or whatever I can get.

Excellent Dizzy is the only one I hacked. I split it into three sections, one for each game, which is why it's here instead of the above post.

update: Added T2 The Arcade. Actually found the hack for it a while ago, but didn't port it to the gg version. Showcases the importance of hacking a bit and digging deeper. There are out of the way IDs at 0x21 and 0x3C that play back music but are far away from anything but silence. (last song at 0x07). One is in the code, but the other was found just by experimentation. IDs at 43+ start to give weird effects, so I stopped. But there could be another track.

Griffin was partially hacked. It loads music based on the level value at C00B. But you can't access the title screen theme or other medley. The title screen resets the music after some time. I think it's the only track with looping issues even if you stop the timer. I played through this some time ago, so I think it's complete. Still no idea where the sound function is even though I know one location that determines the effect.

Sports Illustrated had a hack but a cumbersome one. You need to load the bank and proper address than call 1C77. The values are hidden all over the rom. The code helps a little, but a hex editor worked better, although it missed a table. Possibly there is another one, but I played through both sports just a bit. Football seems to play random fanfares from a table. I found no such thing in baseball. I probably got all the tracks, though it's always possible I overlooked something.

Phantom 2040 works the same way (same developer), loading values from all over the place, but it loads from a table based on the level. These games both load the playSound function each loop so logging 3 exact loops was easy. The playSound is at 66F5.

The jeopardy games were hacked and updated with a cleaner log.

This will be the last full post. Besides what's here there are 7 games to log. (2 seem not to have music).
Klax (GG).vgm7z (15.03 KB)
F-1 (GG).vgm7z (9.68 KB)
Griffin (GG).vgm7z (26.12 KB)
Jeopardy! (GG).vgm7z (35.92 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 pm
That's everything. Every GG Game is logged. I went to revisit some of the titles in the previous thread, but didn't make much headway for most of them.

The only games that have no logs are Dr. Franken, which initializes the audio port at the beginning and never seems to write to it again (music or sfx). And Crazy Faces, which does have sfx, but i played it through some time ago and didn't encounter any music.

The other game I haven't logged is Sonic 2 in 1. AFAIK there is no dump available, and its music may be contained in other packs anyway.

Marko's Magic football has one track (09) I wasn't able to find the tempo for. I used the mode value for its range, since none of the other combinations I found sounded quite right. Not used in game, afaik. An example where hacking might not be enough to obtain a proper log. It's the only unused song in the set.

Rise of the robots took less time to beat and log its 3 in game tracks than I spent trying to hack it. Have no idea how it loads its music.

These games use 16 bit loaders for the most part (not Poker Paul). They also sometimes use more than one playMusic function and have 2 or more ways they load the songs.

That's it. From here on out, there are only a few hacks and updates to old packs/logs left. GG is pretty much done (although I could probably spend a good amount of time making sgcs or some other project)

Most SG titles remain. Slightly less than half SMS titles do.

Unless something happens to this thread, any GG game should have its music available- either here or the VGM music page. Not sure how visible this thread will be in the future, though it's linked to from a few sources.
Gear Works (U).vgm7z (19.79 KB)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!