Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Kkum Ui Dai Ryuk / Penguin Adventure (SMS/KR), Cheese Cat-astrophe (GG)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Kkum Ui Dai Ryuk / Penguin Adventure (SMS/KR), Cheese Cat-astrophe (GG)
Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 pm
Last edited by Bock on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
We're on a roll for good releases this month!

And first we have a brand new game, Kkum Ui Dai Ryuk (꿈의대륙) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Master System as released in Korea by Zemina. Its none other than Konami's 1986 Penguin Adventure for the MSX ported to the Master System by Zemina. Sequel to epic jumping game Antarctic Adventure, Penguin Adventure adds plentiful levels, secrets, items and even boss fights. Video games featuring penguins are generally as cool as penguins themselves, and Penguin Adventure isn't an exception.

(Bonus trivia: The game is also notorious for being the first game Hideo Kojima worked on at Konami, before he went on with designing the Metal Gear saga and taking pictures of himself in pretentious poses.)

Another thing for today, we have Cheese Cat-astrophe (Starring Speedy Gonzales) for the Game Gear, with previously no dump available. This is a multi-language dump from the European version - there is probably a different dump for the US version but it's not yet dumped (but I have acquired the cartridge now). Video games featuring mice are generally as cool as mice themselves, but Cheese Cat-astrophe is an exception.
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:48 am
FWIW, the Speedy Gonzales game matches bit per bit the prototype version released by drx at hidden-palace time ago (which simply means that the proto contained the final version)

interestingly, though, I was convinced that the proto contained an US version... I guess we will find it out when you manage to dump the US cart :)

Thanks for the releases
Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:59 pm
Penguin Adventure is great! Cool music! Tricky Boss-fight! And doesn't those statues at the end of each level remind you of a certain bird from Wonder Boy 3?
I love how the screen goes black when you get by the octopi's ink!
Godzuki
Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 am
Penguin Adventure. If that game and other MSX ports had been released back in the day worldwide the SMS would have pulverized the NES. What the fuck happened? Oh, yea, Ni****do was basically run by the Yakuza...

But the SMS was the better system. Penguin Adventure is awesome.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 am
Please note that the site is always looking for things like screenshots, sprites rips or game maps. Don't hesitate to capture screenshots when making a new game, as they can easily be added to the site. Savestates for references are also welcome.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:17 pm
I don't know if you like it.If not you can delete my hack.

i've just hacked the title screen of Penguin Adventure because "PUSH SPACE KEY" is horrible for an SMS game.

I've changed it with an appropriate "PRESS A BUTTON" message.
Penguin Adventure (kr) (hacked).zip (83.91 KB)
Penguin Adventure hacked

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm
I think it's part of the history of those games and thus is interesting in its own way. If you start going the way of trying to "correct" games you'll never end with it :)

Trivial hacks are a little problematic since they add to the confusion as to what ROM is the correct one. When you release an hack like this, you can be sure I'll be included in the GoodSMS-ish databases and spread forever.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm
Maybe better to include some details (e.g. ASCII in a unused area) to help distinguish it, and/or to distribute as an IPS, and/or give it a better filename ("press a button hack"?).
Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:50 pm
Ok , the mine is only an idea. If someone would modify my hack to better distinguish it from the original, can do it and eliminate my hack.
I'm also of the idea to preserve the original as is it, but with my hack the original will be however preserved alongside it.

In future there will be two roms: one original and one modified, but the original will be always the original.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:06 am
Shion wrote
In future there will be two roms: one original and one modified, but the original will be always the original.

The problem is that in reality "there will be two roms" can easily becomes "there will be 36 roms". And if the filename is just "(Hacked)" it becomes difficult to figure out what is what.

Most of the emulation communities have been spending the past ten years sorting out all the misinformation due to earlier less caring days, and this kind of thing happened countless times before.

We don't want to stop people from taking action or being creative, but focused quality would be more important that random quick hacks left in the nature.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:41 pm
I loved the Penguin Adventure! Just now, I have ripped an sprite from Pentarou thinking in Konami's second logo.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:02 pm
I added it to the site :)

http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/PenguinAdventure-SMS
Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm
Hello! I'm new to the site, but I love video games since I remember haha

I was wandering what emulator do you use for this korean unlicensed games? I use Kega Fusion but dooesn't run those...

Thanks and greetings!
Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 pm
Welcome, MEKA is your best option:

meka-2012-05-05-win32-proto.zip

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71180#71180
Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am
gallos_11 wrote
Welcome, MEKA is your best option:

Thanks! Is it possible to use some fullscreen filter like interpolation for the graphics? I can't find of that kind option anyware. Thanks again!
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 am
Hi and welcome. :)

Unfortunately, the builds of Meka that can run these games are early prototypes or alphas of the next planned official release. Because these builds are only really for testing purposes screen filtering has been switched off.

The last official build (0.73) has screen filtering but sadly can't play these 'newer' dumps.

Hope that helps. :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!