SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - E-SWAT variations

Reply to topic
chas
E-SWAT variations
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 am
Are both the [A] and [B] versions of E-SWAT from european cartridges? Comparing then in an hex editor shows quiet a lot of changes, so I supose they're not bad dumps.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 am
The roms are almost identical, but the [B] version seems to be a later bugfixed build - I can see its function at $08a9 which is reading from VRAM is adding two extra opcodes for delay purposes. One of them is unnecessary, the other is - it increases the delay between VRAM access from 18 cycles (too little) to 25 (still quite fast, but presumably more reliable). The code in question is reading 4 words from VRAM into RAM from $C067 (16 bytes of alternating addresses and data located there). If I wasn't at work I'd debug it a bit and figure out what it's doing. SMS Examine gave up disassembling before it had passed over most of the code, though.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:09 am
I brought this up before. Bock said both came from European cartridges, I believe. Both versions have significant differences. Version A has additional "Arrest" text at the "Arrest Screen." Also, your health is replenished after each section (like when you meet a boss) as opposed to each stage (as it is in version B). You also have double the bullets. So really, it's the easier version.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 am
Here's the link to the old thread:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6837
chas
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:11 pm
Thank you for the answers. So, anyone knows which one was released in the USA? Maybe the A version was released both in Europe and the US, and later the B version (the one supposedly bugfixed) was released for Europe only?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:30 pm
I don't have the US version yet so I can't tell. I'll purchase it ASAP.
BFC
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:22 pm
I find it slightly irritating in the MEKA nam both entries list Br, Eur and US. I thought the countries will only be listed when the dumps are confirmed to be identical? Otherwise it is hard to follow what was really dumped + confirmed yet.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:06 pm
BFC wrote
I find it slightly irritating in the MEKA nam both entries list Br, Eur and US. I thought the countries will only be listed when the dumps are confirmed to be identical? Otherwise it is hard to follow what was really dumped + confirmed yet.

; - Each ROM is properly associated to countries where it has been released.
;   In some case, not all country version were dumped and some countries are
;   being associated to a ROM under the assumption that the version of this
;   country contains the same data as the other one.
;     eg: European game dumped, Brasilian version assumed to be the same.
;   Whenever possible, everything is being dumped, and country association
;   are confirmed or corrected as new cartridges are being dumped.

Rest assured that I have full log of my dumps so I can tell what was dumped from which country cartridge (I may want to publish them?).
I understand it may be "slighty irritating" but I can't find an ideal solution. Takes Brasilian cartridges, the vast majority of them have same contents as US/EU version, yet it's probable that some won't be dumped until a few years. I don't mind adding them under high assumption that they are the same, with chances to later edit the original entries when adding a new one.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:09 pm
I don't mind publishing my logs. I'm sure I'll receive negative inputs on "why you're not releasing XXX you've dumped in November 1912" but if it can clear things up for you I'm ok.
BFC
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:25 pm
Sorry I have never read the initial statement in the db. I'm so ashamed.

chas
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:09 pm
Bock wrote
I don't mind publishing my logs. I'm sure I'll receive negative inputs on "why you're not releasing XXX you've dumped in November 1912" but if it can clear things up for you I'm ok.

Maybe you can publish those logs excluding the unreleased dumps. Probably that information would be interesting for some people.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:09 pm
BFC: Also the thing with variations is that unless I can redump every cartridge on the planet, there will be always cases where I might "miss" associating one country to one dump (so that's the opposite problem).

Say, today I will release a minor variation of Star Jacker. I found this from an European cartridge. I also found another dump in European, Japanese, Australian, and New-Zealand cartridges. So I will label the alternate dump as "European only", but who knows, Japanese cartridges with this variation may exists as well.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:12 pm
Bock wrote
BFC: Also the thing with variations is that unless I can redump every cartridge on the planet, there will be always cases where I might "miss" associating one country to one dump (so that's the opposite problem).

Of course, documenting the rom numbers as you dump would avoid such problems. Sorry if I am starting to sound like a broken record LMAO
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:14 pm
MadMikeAU wrote
Of course, documenting the rom numbers as you dump would avoid such problems. Sorry if I am starting to sound like a broken record LMAO

How would it avoid such problem?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:32 pm
Bock wrote
MadMikeAU wrote

How would it avoid such problem?

Because by having the rom number associated with the dump, you would know...
1) What versions are dumped
2) What version are not dumped
3) Confirm what version is associated to what country with out dumping multiple times. If someone thinks they have something different, open the cart and look it up.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:49 pm
MadMikeAU: replied here: http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8052
Let's leave this topic on E-SWAT variations discussion.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:39 am
Was this question ever resolved? In other words, do we now know whether the harder, "B" version of E-SWAT was ever released in the US?
Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 pm
CRV wrote
I brought this up before. Bock said both came from European cartridges, I believe. Both versions have significant differences. Version A has additional "Arrest" text at the "Arrest Screen." Also, your health is replenished after each section (like when you meet a boss) as opposed to each stage (as it is in version B). You also have double the bullets. So really, it's the easier version.

Good summary. BTW, there's one other difference -- the enemies move a LOT faster in version B. The reduction in bullets has a real impact: you have to be pretty parsimonious with your shots to finish Normal.

That said, the B version is a much better game because of the difficulty adjustments, but it's still pretty easy. I played version A for the first time last night, and beat Easy on my first playthrough, and Normal on my third. Then I fired up version B, beat Easy fairly quickly last night, and didn't have too much trouble with Normal before finishing it this morning. (I only had to continue once, after I fell off a platform in the second half of Level 2...oops.)

I noticed that the music finishes well before the credits do, and so you have to wait through 10-15 seconds of silence before the final still image appears. Is that a PAL/NTSC issue (I'm playing on a NTSC Genesis Model 2 via flashcart), or just the way the game is?
Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:20 pm
goldenband wrote
I noticed that the music finishes well before the credits do, and so you have to wait through 10-15 seconds of silence before the final still image appears. Is that a PAL/NTSC issue (I'm playing on a NTSC Genesis Model 2 via flashcart), or just the way the game is?

Just the way it is.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm
CRV wrote
Is that a PAL/NTSC issue (I'm playing on a NTSC Genesis Model 2 via flashcart), or just the way the game is?

Just the way it is.

"Some things will never change..."
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:09 pm
I'll check in my dumping logs this week-end to let you know about my finding.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm
Thanks, much appreciated! :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:22 am
My logs said:

EU : E-Swat [A], E-Swat [B]
BR : E-Swat [A] (1 cart dumped only)
US : E-Swat [B] (1 cart dumped only)

Also, I do have 3 different prototypes of E-Swat I need to sort out and release, but upon inspection (Paul helper here) we can tell that [A] version came before [B] version so they will be renamed A->[v0] B->[v1].

It also makes sense with the general pattern than TecToy uses earlier releases most of the time. Not sure where they got their ROM data form.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:13 pm
Sega seems to have had a hard time making a good version of E-Swat. On the Mega Drive, check out the screen changes:

-> ->
Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:27 am
The first one looks awesome! Got a Roger Dean / Psygnosis vibe going on.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm
Bock, thanks so much. It looks like the jury's still out on whether the [A] version was ever released in the US, then, since there's only been one cart dumped.

Looking forward to those prototypes, and to learning about their differences (if any)!
Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 pm
ccovell wrote
Sega seems to have had a hard time making a good version of E-Swat. On the Mega Drive, check out the screen changes:

-> ->

Sweet! Loved the "secret" section of your site!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!