SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Games/Scans wiki API?

Reply to topic
Games/Scans wiki API?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 pm
Hi all,

I guess this question is mostly for Maxim and Bock.
I'm thinking of building an application for collectors, and i would like to use the data from the SMS Power Games/Scans wiki.

Is there an API or something i could use, or do i have to parse the webpages manually?

I noticed that the wiki automagically links to the scans section. Are they using the same database?

Offcourse, i will give proper credit.

Thanks in advance

-Steve
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:08 am
There's no API right now. I'm not sure to what extent we're happy to have our content scraped, there's currently no licence applied so it's full copyright by default...

The way it works right now is that the scans pages share the page name prefix with the game page so it's easy for the site framework to hook them up. We could in theory make something API-like, and we have some plans in that direction, but it's secondary to the actual site content :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:59 am
Eventually we'd like to work on better I/O from the site content, for example be able to export release lists, or move the equivalent of now-Meka.nam to the site and allow other soft/emulators to use it. But it would take a bit of time for all those things to be set up.

We haven't particularly thought about scans yet. As Maxim says its slightly dodgy because they were submitted my many people (if it was up to me I'd be happy to make them permissive). Perhaps we have to clarify sharing terms and try to contact people who scanned previously.

Out of curiosity what kind of application would you like to make?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Hmm. I can see your point(s) :)

Bock: I would like to build an application for collectors to manage their collection.
Basically a list of games that you own, with a few options, such as a comment field, and checkboxes for manual, cart and box.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!