Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM pack] Phantasy Star (FM)

Reply to topic
[VGM pack] Phantasy Star (FM)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:05 am
I really love the wonderful music of this game.
2 extra track are included: Airplane SFX and Vehicle with Airplane SFX (like you hear it in the game).

http://www.smspower.org/Music/PhantasyStar-SMS-FM

I tried to use the Japanese tags of the PSG VGM pack, but when I opened one of my vgms in Hex Workshop, all Japanese characters were replaced with question marks.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:50 pm
This should help you, ValleyBell.
shot-20100708T104904.png (77.89 KB)
Hex Workshop Unicode 1
shot-20100708T104904.png
shot-20100708T104834.png (14.18 KB)
Hex Workshop Unicode 2
shot-20100708T104834.png

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:58 pm
Thanks, but my problem was another one.

I looked into the old Phantasy Star FM-Pack and found Japanese text.
I opened one of them in VGMTool r6 and all Japanese letters were question marks (I don't have Japanese characters installed). Then I opened my new files (I removed the GD3 Tag from these) and wrote the imported GD3 Tag to my files.
Hex Workshop showed me that there were no Japanese letters anymore, but lots of question marks (with code 3F 00).
I'm sure that happens, because my Windows converts these unknown characters to '?'.

Maybe I should reinsert them by hex-editing, but it would be some work.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am
What OS are you using? It ought to work (in VGMTool) even if you don't have the fonts installed.

The trimming seems weird. These tracks have no intros but the data contains short non-repeated bits at the start (e.g. 0.02s on the title track). This is probably partly because they're not frame-accurate. Are you trimming using VGMTool or by manual hex editing? The VGMs are missing the Rate data, too.

Was there anything wrong with the old pack?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm
I'm using Windows 2000. Maybe that's the problem. I tried resaving correct tags without doing anything other than pressing the "Update GD3" button and they were corrupted again.

And yes, I know the small delays. They're there because of channel 6 which is always 1 frame later than channel 1. This echo-like effect is used on channels 5 and 6 in "Town". I used a mix between VGMTool and hex editiing. Also I noticed that VGMTool's loop init at the end killed the bass drum in one track. I removed all of the loop init-data and it sounded right.
I'll reinsert the Rate data (I killed it with the PSG header-data) after making them frame-accurate.

The old pack really has some bugs. For example: "Lassic" lacks the first durm hit and the loopback in "Town" sounds terrible.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 pm
I finally updated this pack, too.
Converted sample accurate -> frame accurate (like in both Out Run packs) and inserted Japanese composer name, game name and system name from the old FM pack and the "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" pack. I also copied the Japanese words for "Title Screen", "Ending" and "Game Over" from that pack.

Japanese characters don't work in Win2000 with VGMTool r5 and r6. For some reason I get boxes in notepad so it works there, but I can only paste question marks in VGMTool.
On WinXP they don't work in VGMTool r6, r5 works well.

Trimming was also updated (I removed the 0.02s intro from many songs) and I did a small note fix (see readme for details). Now the beginning of "Town" sounds clearer.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 am
Are you doing the conversions from sample to frame accuracy with one of your tools or ripping the files again?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:56 pm
I wrote a small tool to do so.
I'll upload a pack of some tools next week - when I wrote the readme file.
It will also include a trimming helper that may find loop points for you. I used it to trim the Phantasy Star pack.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:23 pm
Nice. That will help with the bunch of unpublished sample-accurate packs lying aroung.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!