SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation, 2007 style

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Phantasy Star retranslation, 2007 style
Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:27 pm
Going over things now (there's 2 whole days before the release date...) so I'll need some help with a few things. First up:

ソレイジョウ モテナイヨウデスネ.マタキテクダサイ.
All right. Have a good day.

From how it's used, I think this should say something like "you have too much stuff, you can't hold anything else". (You get it when all your item slots are full and you're trying to buy something). Can a Japanese-reader help?

Edit: Number two.

トクニ カワッタトコロハナイヨウダ.
There doesn’t seem to be anything particularly unusual here.

You get this after searching, but also when you use the Alsuline when not next to Tylon. I've confirmed it in the original Japanese ROM. Could there be a dual reading to the text, or is it just plain wrong?

Are there other items in the game which you have to use in a particular place, and can people test what happens when you use them in the wrong place? I've tried:

- Dungeon Key while not in a dungeon (gets the same weird text as above; gets "but there was no effect" while in a dungeon but not at a door)
- Aeroprism (special case, works fine)
- Compass (OK)

There are 7 references to the above text in the ROM, so I'd like to figure out what some of them are for. For now, I've redirected the two cases above to

ベツニ コワレテナイヨウダ.
There’s no real need for it right now.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:19 pm

Going over things now (there's 2 whole days before the release date...) so I'll need some help with a few things. First up:

ソレイジョウ モテナイヨウデスネ.マタキテクダサイ.
All right. Have a good day.

From how it's used, I think this should say something like "you have too much stuff, you can't hold anything else". (You get it when all your item slots are full and you're trying to buy something). Can a Japanese-reader help?

You're right. I think the first sentence was deleted fopr some reason. It should read, "It's looks like you can't carry anything more. Please come back later."

Edit: Number two.

トクニ カワッタトコロハナイヨウダ.
There doesn’t seem to be anything particularly unusual here.

You get this after searching, but also when you use the Alsuline when not next to Tylon. I've confirmed it in the original Japanese ROM. Could there be a dual reading to the text, or is it just plain wrong?

That doesn't sound like the appropriate phrase to use. The sentence above is a sort of fixed phrase that has appeared in a lot of games. Usually it means, "There's nothing particularly strange here", but it might also mean something like "There's nothing particularly strange about that spot". Either way, though, it doesn't seem to fit the situation. The only place it really makes sense is when searching an area that has no items.

Are there other items in the game which you have to use in a particular place, and can people test what happens when you use them in the wrong place? I've tried:

- Dungeon Key while not in a dungeon (gets the same weird text as above; gets "but there was no effect" while in a dungeon but not at a door)
- Aeroprism (special case, works fine)
- Compass (OK)

It's been a little while since I've played through the whole game, so I don't remember all the details of these. Sorry.

There are 7 references to the above text in the ROM, so I'd like to figure out what some of them are for. For now, I've redirected the two cases above to

ベツニ コワレテナイヨウダ.
There’s no real need for it right now.

That's probably a good idea. For the record, the above sentence literally means "It looks like nothing's wrong with it", or in other words, "It doesn't particularly look broken". I forgot to annotate this part of the script. If I recall, I changed it from its literal translation because the literal translation didn't make any sense in context. Maybe it's a bug in the original game?

By the way, it's December 20th here in Japan. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:55 pm
You're referring to

ベツニ コワレテナイヨウダ.<wait>
There’s no real need for it right now.<wait>
;Note: this was originally ‘It doesn’t look particularly broken.’
;This translation takes the verb KOWARERU to mean ‘to be begged’

which appears when using certain items in the wrong place. I've fixed the text above, redirected the two cases I've found for the second one, I'll look for more tomorrow... and release, I guess :) Hopefully before midnight GMT.
Manual.png (76.66 KB)
Here's something I've been working on today. Only 20 more pages to go...
Manual.png

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:27 pm
Wierd. I guess I was looking at a copy of the script that I hadn't annotated. I forgot about the verb "ko(w)u" that means 'to beg'. The form "kowaretenai" means 'isn't being begged'. In that light, the gloss makes sense if the literal translation is taken as "It appears this item really isn't being begged for right now".
Ral
Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 pm
Hey. Hate to complain, but you guys mistranslated the spell "Translate" as "Transrate." Just though I'd point that out :)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:29 am
Ral wrote
Hey. Hate to complain, but you guys mistranslated the spell "Translate" as "Transrate." Just though I'd point that out :)

As mentioned before, it's supposed to be Transrate... a bad, and inaccurate translate spell.
aewendil
bug
Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 am
There is a bug (game's crash) just before you meet master tajimu in is cave on motavia.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!