SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - games go fast

Reply to topic
GregC - eatSugarGoHyper
games go fast
Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:13 pm
is it just me or do the games I play on my old (australian) ms have slower musics than that of the emul'ed games I play on computer and the VGM's as well?
Cos it just sounds nuts listening to music hit notes higher to that of what I'm used to... is there a way to slow down the game musics (or the game altogether) for NTSC music/games to play at PAL speeds? (e.g alex kidd/sonic sounds a little bit faster)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:19 pm
> is it just me or do the games I play on my old (australian) ms have slower musics than that of the emul'ed games I play on computer and the VGM's as well?

Yeah. You're used to PAL speeds (50Hz) but the majority of games were designed for 60Hz and, to be honest, play better at that speed. You can choose to play VGMs at 50Hz (look in the plugin configuration), and to play a game at 50Hz choose PAL in Dega and press F2 and F3 in Meka to choose whatever spped you like (ie. 50Hz). There are some exceptions, eg. Micro Machines was designed for 50Hz and is almost unplayable at 60Hz.

> Cos it just sounds nuts listening to music hit notes higher to that of what I'm used to...

What? The notes are (almost) the same, there is a 0.01% or so pitch change between PAL and NTSC - PAL plays the same notes, just at a slower tempo.

Maxim
greg
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 5:49 am
in the plugin... 50Hz sounds right in some but slow in others by anywhere up to about 5Hz, and I know that isn't really possible in the games, but it sounds right! oh well... I'll just keep fiddling around with it.
e.g. alexkidd-castle,soundsnormal@54Hz/sonic1-jungle,normal@51Hz
oh and I realised the notes just sounded abnormal when they were meshed together, sorry. ie same pitch etc

• Site Admin
Possible reason for that
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:27 am
> in the plugin... 50Hz sounds right in some but slow in others by anywhere up to about 5Hz, and I know that isn't really possible in the games, but it sounds right! oh well... I'll just keep fiddling around with it.

Some games were modified for PAL regions so their music plays at a different speed - possibly not the same speed as the 60Hz original, though, if the game couldn't fit it in the available processing time. This might be what's causing the differences; I know Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in PAL (Hamburger edition) is quite different from the NTSC rice-cake version in terms of speed.

On a side note... I actually saw some real rice-cakes in a Chinese shop last week... they really are big round white things, but I saw no sign of a black square...

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!