Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation beta testers

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Phantasy Star retranslation beta testers
Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:48 pm
I thought I'd make a new post for this.

I need beta testers to play through our new English retranslation of Phantasy Star. I need people who can:

1. Play through on a real system - US and/or Japanese
2. Play through on different emulators
3. Mainly, play through on Meka and find script errors. This will involve trying to find every bit of text in the game, maybe weird edge cases like going back to locations late in the game that you don't need to go to, or visiting useless places instead of speeding through the game following a guide.

Ideally, I would then need a description of the error, a screenshot, and for emulators, a savestate from before the error happened. Meka is my preferred emulator for fixing script errors.

I can provide a version of the game with hacks to avoid levelling and most stat limits, but I'd like to test a "real" version too.

Please reply below and I'll have a private IPS patch available this weekend. I'll try to look up people who've already "signed up".
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:04 pm
If you don't use MEKA but another emulator, you can also submit your report with regular game save data as supported by Phantasy Star itself. It should be a 8 KB file created by the emulator, maybe with the .SAV extension.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:05 pm
it's been a while Maxim but I'm still intrested. I can test on MEKA or xport on xbox. I prefer xbox but getting you a save state would be a bit tougher with xbox.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:52 am
I'd love to be able to play through it on my Genesis/Power Base Converter, but I have no way to load a ROM to play on the real thing. If you want to loan me a special cartridge to do so, I'll be more than happy to do it, as I've been through the real game many times and used to have a job as a beta tester (or PC games).

I'm not a big fan of emulation, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:36 am
That reminds me... I'd like to have someone hack a cartridge (perhaps Penguin Land instead of Phantasy Star, but that's more work) to put an EPROM in there - it should be a straight replacement since we made sure to keep the game at 4Mb. Any takers? Of course it should work on any other devcart anyone has.

I don't have any hardware to send out to people. I can't even test it on hardware myself.
ITEMS bug
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:28 am
Hey Maxim,

I just started playing on a Japanese SMS. Right off the bat, selecting ITEMS crashes the game. First the grasslands background (with mountains in the distance) displays, and the game freezes.

This could just be if you have nothing in your inventory... I'll try to grab something and see if that is the case.
  • Site Admin
Re: ITEMS bug
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 am
Mike Cukan wrote
Right off the bat, selecting ITEMS crashes the game.

This will happen if the hardware you're using doesn't support paging in frame 1. What hardware are you using? Anything that runs Sonic should work, and the 315-5235 in Phantasy Star is supposed to support it.
Re: ITEMS bug
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 pm
Ahh, I am using an expansion port adapter with (overseas pinout) Tototek rewritable cartridge.

I was going to work on an overseas to Japanese adapter using a Card Catcher and Master Gear at some point - maybe I should go ahead and make one of those ASAP?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:26 pm
I'd be surprised if Tototek cartridge did not support mapping page 1. Did you try the original Phantasy Star on it?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm
I need to look into it more. Now I think about it. the text decoder had to be being invoked during the intro cinema, before getting to the point at which the items screen is available.

Does it happen if you save or search at that point, or go into a house?
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:14 pm
Maxim wrote

I need beta testers to play through our new English retranslation of Phantasy Star. I need people who can.
Please reply below and I'll have a private IPS patch available this weekend. I'll try to look up people who've already "signed up".

Hi
I began playing the original version in an emulator just a few days ago. If you need more testers I may perhaps help out. My emulator is currently MasterGear and I run it on Linux.

/Ronny
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:37 pm
Hello,

I have some Brazilian consoles and a GG with the Master adapter here and a rewritable cartridge. However, I'm a bit short on time, so I don't know if I can provide all that useful info quickly.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 pm
Bock wrote
I'd be surprised if Tototek cartridge did not support mapping page 1.

Well it doesn't support it correctly at least, Space Gun doesn't work on the ToToTek.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:04 pm
FluBBa wrote
Bock wrote

Well it doesn't support it correctly at least, Space Gun doesn't work on the ToToTek.

Sorry, I thought it meant the 'second' page (I'm starting to count at 0) which would be more surprising.
Well that may be the case, then :(
I sent a Tototek cartridge to Maxim for helping with debugging.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:32 pm
Bock wrote
FluBBa wrote
Bock wrote

Sorry, I thought it meant the 'second' page (I'm starting to count at 0)

Sorry, my fault; I hadn't realised it was using slot/frame 0 when I posted above, and had posted about this on the dev forum since then. (I always count from 0 for these things, it's the only way!)

I think it's fixable, anyway, there's a whole password system wasting space in the page-0 ROM that I can take advantage of, and it seems to just be a 56-byte function I need to relocate.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:46 pm
Maxim wrote

First of all, long time no see huh?

I was a bit busy in the last years, but i am still alive. hahahaha

Count on me... I can test this on SayaRX. By the way, i am trying to convert the SayaRX sources to C# and .NET, using the managed version of directx. This will be the last update i think, then i will probably release both source codes to the main public.

Rene.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!