Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Phantasy Star retranslation

Reply to topic
darth vader x
SMS Phantasy Star retranslation
Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:57 pm
Hello .
Where it is the Maxim' s Phantasy Star retranslation? How it walks the project?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:30 pm
It's still ongoing; with a bit of luck and a lot of testing, I'm hoping to release on 21 December, exactly 20 years since the original release.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:52 pm
Errr AFAIK, the relased date was 20 December 1987. 21 December 1986 is Space Harrier :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:10 pm
Ssssssh! Don't give Maxim and the team another whole year to complete the project!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:51 pm
Oh yeah :) I must have confused myself. Anyway, 20th Dec 200X is the definite, final deadline - it was last year, and it is this year too!
Speaking off
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:33 am
Adol wrote
Errr AFAIK, the relased date was 20 December 1987. 21 December 1986 is Space Harrier :)

Played Space Harrier Climax at the Sega Arcade centre at Namba Osaka here in Japan yesterday. Updated grafix of course and the rotating cabinet but the main difference is a choice of 3 planes. I will post a picture of the machine later.
Re: Speaking off
Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:10 pm
furanku wrote
Adol wrote

Played Space Harrier Climax at the Sega Arcade centre at Namba Osaka here in Japan yesterday. Updated grafix of course and the rotating cabinet but the main difference is a choice of 3 planes. I will post a picture of the machine later.

Don't you mean After Burner Climax? Space Harrier was the shooter with the man, not the plane.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:50 am
Yawackhary wrote
furanku wrote
Adol wrote

Don't you mean After Burner Climax? Space Harrier was the shooter with the man, not the plane.

Yes
Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:23 am
Still waiting for Planet Harrier to be adapted somewhere :) The Arcade cabinet is not cheap :) And I want to play it :) Do you know where it can be? In Akihabara I didn't find it, even at the Sega Centre..
Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:33 am
furanku wrote

I once played Afterburner in such a gyroscoping machine. Since I used to te rather good in it on my console I spent quite some time in the thing.

Now on the console my main strategy for survival was to use lots of rolls. So I used these tactics also in the gyroscope. Needless to say I needed quite a couple of minutes before I was able to walk straight again when I came out of it ;-)

<Sorry>
Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:14 pm
The game you played is G-LOC, an Afterburner sequel. the game exists on Master System and Megadrive. The machine was called the R-360. I tried it like 10-15 years ago in Picadilly Circus when travelling to London. It gave me the willing to puke :( You stay too much upside down, IMHO.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 am
Adol wrote
The game you played is G-LOC, an Afterburner sequel. the game exists on Master System and Megadrive. The machine was called the R-360. I tried it like 10-15 years ago in Picadilly Circus when travelling to London. It gave me the willing to puke :( You stay too much upside down, IMHO.

The Afterburner Climax game just tilts and not the 360 as you say in your post. Still fun thou!
Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:10 pm
I have played the R-360 too back in 93 and it was a breathtaking experience, after the game was over I had to sit down for about 10 or 15 minutes until I could walk on a straight line. It was the same day I got my Slap Shot cart.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:42 pm
Hey everyone! I delivered what might be the final version of my script to Maxim last night. The game's running smoothly without any crashes so, as far as I can tell, it's just a matter of bugtesting and tweaking before this thing is done. It looks like we'll actually make the deadline this time!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:36 pm
Speaking of which... I'm hoping to spend some time on it tonight, and (time permitting) I'll be needing some beta testers pretty soon. So anyone who's up to playing through the game (quickly), looking for bugs and making good bug reports (preferably with Meka savestates from just before it happened), please post in here.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:54 pm
You'll also want at least a few people playing the game on a real Master System using flash cartridges.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:55 pm
Any chance of getting a copy of the current build, Maxim? :)
Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:07 am
Paul Jensen wrote
Any chance of getting a copy of the current build, Maxim? :)

Hey, you're in Santa Cruz! I'm in San Francisco, we should have our own little party when the ROM is released.
I have a Tototek cartridge...
Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:17 pm
Hey Maxim,

I have a Tototek cartridge and a Japanese SMS. I'd be happy to test-play through the ROM. Just please note that it has been nearly a decade since I played through the whole game!

Mike Cukan
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:20 pm
OK... give me a week or two to get it properly merged in and in a fit state for testing, though.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:12 pm
Sounds great. Thanks, Maxim.

TheRedEye: SF, huh? Right near SOA. That seems like an appropriate spot for a post-release celebration. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:05 pm
Our company just opened a new office in San Francisco and I was there setting it up last week.You can see the SEGA logo on the SOA building from two of the offices.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:27 am
Well, the updated script went right in and worked first time... who'd've thunk it... but I still need to fix up the spell names. Paul?
darth vader x
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:47 am
A curiosity on SMS Phantasy Star: If you to rename a save of the American version for the Japanese in any emulator, all the data could be played in the version of the Japanese rom, also the name given to save will appear in katakana format. Very cool .

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:06 am
Are you sure it's totally compatible?

The katakana name display will just be an arbitrary mapping of letters, much like if you set your keyboard to Japanese and typed your name. I'm not sure if the save slot name would be intact in the retranslation, no care was taken to preserve that (it's purely down to the character set ordering).
darth vader x
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:02 pm
Yes, it is total compatible, all the items, levels and mesetas from the American version appears in the Japanese as well as the place where it was saved in the game. And the same thing happens from of the Japanese version to the American. And the name given to saves , sorry , it is really only an arbitrary mapping of letters . Finally, this also happens with the versions of Y's (That it has a very cool FM sound , a future translation ?). Thanks for the attention.

Spell names
Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:39 am
Hmmm... ok. I'll have to take a look at those...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!