SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MUSEUM - SC3000 and Accessories

Reply to topic
MUSEUM - SC3000 and Accessories
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:46 pm
Hi to All,
after some work on my SF7000 disk image manager i need some relax...
I decided to start buiilding some very detailed pages about SC3000 and its accessories.

I was looking for SF7000 since i was 16, when my own SF7000 died. I checked every kinds of ads (in those years internet was just a dream). I couldn't find anty info about it... nobody who could sell it... Just the darkness.
Some years ago, when e-bay growed up i costantly checked auctions and finally some days ago i received a SF7000 at home... Incredible... It took 20 years to be real. Anyway what i would like to do, is to make an official area where people can find every kind of information about SC3000 prosuct. Photos, technical info, drawings with measures, manuals, pdf, Basic programs lists, tape dumps etc...
I would like to submit theese pages to SMSPower museum area.

Here is some lo-res views of my SF7000 with the PCB inside. For the museum i will do more close-up photos, i will draw schemes and measures.
I hope this work will be appreciated to all of you. This is my contribute to SMSPower.

Bye!
SF7000.jpg (195.5 KB)
SF-7000 views with inside PCB.
SF7000.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:00 pm
Thanks for the picture and message (and e-mails). You help is greatly appreciated. We had the project of building a web museum since quite some times, but things are evolving slowly mainly due to our lack of time. The biggest problem so far is that I've been unable to successfully share workload accross several people. Your work and motivation could be great. First thing I'd suggest you reading the early threads of this forum, to get an idea of where we got. You can also check those early work/mockups:

http://www.smspower.org/search.php
http://wip.smspower.org/tests/games/test09.html

We ought to have at least those pages filled for all games, including SG-1000/SC-3000/SF-7000 of course. Other pages included detailed system information, ressources (eg: BASIC manual scans), etc, the list would be endless.

To tell you the truth, right now we are more in need of skilled webmasters/web programmer to setup the site backend. Would you be able to help with that? The point is to have minimal backend so that data can be contributed and filled in by the community, but right now we don't have that so data is often scattered on this forum. If you have data to contribute, feel free to post it on this forum in the meanwhile. We can also provide you webspace if you want to post big stuff or setup your own independant site, although ultimately it'll be great if we can have a same site sharing backend and data.

Also congratulation on obtaining your SF-7000! :-)
Did you had trouble with the disk drive? The drive belt are often disintegrated after this time. You can replace them fairly easily, some people on internet sell CPC drive belts.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:51 pm
Hi Bock,
i'm glad to hear you. I know that at this point your site must make the next step. Actually i'm not so much in web programming... well, i can do some asp code but just for fun. Yes i'm a web designer (Flash and HTML) bot i'm not in DB access etc.

The work you showed me is great and I think that it will be useful to collect information and material.

My feeling is basically this:
"I would like to find everykind of information about SC3000 and all of it's accessories somewhere for my researches...". So i decided to collect some material, to make some drawings, to scan manuals i have to put them together and share with ather SEGA Fans... so why my idea to make the museum page. At least it can be a starting point... and when the work will be completed we can rebuild the material to fit in the Museum section.

Well, i can design some pages layout according to yours... i will develop a single section for example SC3000 with some schemes, drawings, photo, close-ups, etc... if you think it may be useful for the starting point, it can be uploaded in the museum section... for example inside the link section to the pictures.

In the last years my passion for this computer grew so much that i must do something :-)

Well no problem with the belt right now... Actually i have just one floppy with many cartridge games on it (Congo Bongo, Pacar, Flipper, Exerion etc...) But no Basic inside. The disk is a System disk with a menu that starts at the startup. It would be interesting to extract the image disk...
By the way do you know where i can find a system disk with BASIC ? I've just ordered some blank disk on e-bay so i can send them to somebody to have a copy ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:55 pm
Bimbo72 wrote
By the way do you know where i can find a system disk with BASIC ? I've just ordered some blank disk on e-bay so i can send them to somebody to have a copy ?

I could lend you mine to do a copy. Right now my SF-7000 is non functionnal (don't know why) so I can't do it myself. Aaron Wheeler also may be able to make you a copy. Also, if you can write to 3 inches disk from another computer, you could write the available disk image to a real disk.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:17 pm
:-) Well, i checked many ways do make a copy:
1) buy a Spectrum +3 or an Amstrad cpc664 (which have the same floppy disk) and try to write "track by track" a sf7 image.
2) connect in some way a 3" floppy drive, took from one of those computer, to the PC and try a low level track writing procedure
3) Try to sent a blank disk to somebody who can make a copy...
4) Wait until i can find one on e-bay...

basically i'm desperate :-))) Anyway...The guy who sold me the SF7000 is a friend of Aaron. He told me to write him and ask but sill i got no answer :-(

I'm sorry your SF doesn't work... what happens when you turn on the unit ?
Rebuilding SC 3000 material...
Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Hi,
my work in rebuilding SC 3000 material is going on.
All of the things i'm building, will be available soon in a web page.
I'll start it as soon as i will have some more things to justify the web pages maintenance.

Here it is a preview of an unfolded cartridge box. I totally rebuilt it in this master layout which can be used for other games. This is John Sands version.
It is possible to build all SC 3000 game boxes... what i need is the help of you all in sending me the scan of the front picture at 300 dpi (jpg is fine) and the texts of the box.

I 'm building also the master layout of the manual but this is more complicated because the layout may be very different between games... If you have also the manual i can redesign them also. (for the manuals a normal scan at 100 dpi it is fine)

I must say that all i'll do is just rebuild a box to keep safe our precious cartridge... i won't sell them... just make public for those who wants to print, cut, build and glue them to have a perfect copy of the box for his personal collection. All trademarks are of their owners.

Thank you.
Bimbo72
sega_sc3000_nsub_preview.jpg (222.51 KB)
John Sands N-Sub preview unfolded cartridge box
sega_sc3000_nsub_preview.jpg

Cartridge BOX
Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:28 am
Hi to all,
my work with the cartridge box is almost completed. I'm building some prototypes to check the assembly steps. The first Prototype is G-1003 Nsub.
I only have the BASIC LEVEL III A So i will need some Hi res scan of other games front picture and the texts of the box.
UI'm also building the User Manual, the SF7000 Manual and some labels here and there (For example the cartridge of the connection cable of the SF7000, and the labels of the Cartridges).
I hope in your help...
Thank you.
SEGA SC-3000 User Manual PDF
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:17 am
Hi to all,
as promised here it is the SC-3000 User manual in PDF format.
The document is zipped and is made of 4 A4 pages. So you can print the first page, turn the sheet, and print the 2nd one. Then the third one and back the fourth.
The original user manual was printed in an A3 sheet, then folded in the middle to make an A4 format. You can manage to join the two pages with adhesive ribbon or ask me the A3 format document. I decided not to publish it right now, because not many people have an A3 printer.
So, I hope that this work will be appreciated to all of you and to future SMSPower museum section.
Now i'm working on games cartridge labels, game cartridge boxes and SF7000 Html user manual.
If you have some SC-3000 graphic material to rebuild, for example tapes label or floppy disk labels, manuals and other things, please send me the scans and i will rebuild it for the museum.
Bye Bye!
UserManualA4-def.zip (895.55 KB)
SC-3000 Original PDF User Manual

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:21 pm
Here I am again :-)
Just have done something may be very useful for museum... For those who hasn't got the box to keep safe the SC3000.
Here it is the preview of the unfolded box... i will make the pdf soon so that if you want you can ask to some typography service to print on cardboard for you...
Bye bye!
SC3000-preview.jpg (141.92 KB)
SC3000 unfolded box preview
SC3000-preview.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:36 pm
That is absolutely great work !
My poor loose sc 3000 will soon have a new home :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:14 pm
Amazing work Bimbo72!
I suggest uploading the A3 version just in case (eg: my brother has a A3 printer).

(Note that I also increased your attachement upload quota. Don't ever feel limited by a quota here, we'll increase it as needed.)
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:17 pm
Thank you,
I knew it would have been useful :-)
I hope to arrange some starting material in a SC-3000 Museum page... so that everyone can download it.
By the way, do you have some game cartridge box to make some 300 dpi scan of front pictures ? I'm building also the game boxes, and need them...
Thank you,
Bye.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Yes, I personnally owns quite a lot SG-1000/SC-3000 games, and other members of this forum may have some as well. I'm currently lacking time to do proper scan but I will try to do a few for you.

You can check there:
http://www.smspower.org/scans/
Unfortunately the SG-1000/SC-3000 section is quite empty as of yet. You can submit your scans if you made any, or pick those already available, but none is 300 DPI there. Note how the average quality for most SG-1000/SC-3000 scans is VERY BAD (small pictures borrowed from some websites, not actual scan some of us made).
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:43 pm
Thank you Bock,
actually i've checked the scan section... the scans are good but unfortunately at 72dpi... it would be enough if you don't care to have a good quality box, but i think that at this point, with the whole high quality unfolded box made, it needs the hi res :-)
Anyway... as soon as i can find, maybe in ebay, some box i will go on in making other ones... Of course if you or other users can make some scans i will appreciate and of course go on in doing this.
Also the texts are appreciated :-)
Thank you.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:10 am
Hi,
As i promised, here is the A3 sheet format of the SC3000 User Manual.
Uncompress it and print first pages 1-4, turn the sheet and print 2-3. Fold in the middle, et voilà... That's it!
Bye!
UserManualA3.zip (859.83 KB)
SC-3000 User Manual A3 sheets

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:00 pm
Hi again,
here i am again in my graphic adventure :-) I'm asking you a favour... I've just found theese scans on the web... unfortunately i don't have the URL anymore :-(

This is the SG1000 User Manual, the same i've just rebuild for the SC-3000!!!!

I think they will be useful for some of you ;-) Unfortunately i didn't owned it but, I can do the same work i've just done for SC3000... but... what i need is the texts :-( they are not so simple to read, the scans are at low res, and i can't speak Japan... so if there is somebody who can help me in rebuilding this...
:-)
Bye!
SG1000User.zip (391.32 KB)
SG-1000 User Manual scans

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:01 pm
Hi, I've found the URL of SG1000 User Manual scans...

http://park21.wakwak.com/~suka/sega/ippatu/sg1000/sg1000.html

Very useful... there are the picture of the Sj200 box also... does anybody have this box to send me some scan or pictures ?
Thank you.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:01 pm
Here I am again for another episode of the "lonely capitain of museum paper things"... :-)
For those who have the SF-7000 and the label of the cartridge with cable is very old and unreadable... here is ( obviously ) a new label to print on glossy adhesive paper... :-)
Enjoy!
sf7000_cart-label_def.zip (55.45 KB)
SF-7000 Cartridge label

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 pm
Found this on trademe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Sega/Other/auction-51257286.htm
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:26 pm
This item is very interesting... but seems that people outside NZ and Australia can't register...
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:47 pm
Yep, you will need a contact in australia to bid for you.
I guess some people on this board could help you.
SF-7000 CF-2 Floppy Disk Labels
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 pm
Last edited by Bimbo72 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi,
First of all i must thank Bock for his help... He lend me his SF-7000 System disks, and now this floppy drive unit came alive!
After some moments of nostalgia and commotion i resumed my self control and continued my work for the museum... Here there is an A4 sheet to print on adhesive glossy paper for printers... Obviously i'm talking about beautiful SF-7000 Floppy disk lbels for those who want to sort his disks.
Hope to have done something useful.

[This version of the file was deleted... you'll find the right one in the next replies]

I'm still working on some technical drawings of SC-3000... and of course the SF-7000 HTML manual to link to the museum section.
Thank you all...

For Bock: I'm trying to make you a copy of the cart disk i have but, unfortunately the built in copy procedure can't do it... Don't know why... Maybe it is a different format of data... i'm writing a BASIC program to try to copy it manually... hope to do it quickly so that i send you back your disks ASAP.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Here what's the code use to dump disks. Marc Le Douarain wrote that, and I
believe I made some tweaks to it.

Run on SF-7000

100 PRINT #0, ":::SEGA SF7000 DISK IMAGE:::"
110 FOR TR=0 TO 39
120 FOR SC=1 TO 16
130 GOSUB 700
480 NEXT SC
490 NEXT TR
500 PRINT #0, ":::DISK IMAGE END:::"
510 END
700 DSKI$ TR,SC;A$,0,128;B$,128,128
710 PRINT #0, ":TR=";TR;":SC=";SC
720 J$ = A$
730 GOSUB 800
740 J$ = B$
750 GOSUB 800
760 RETURN
800 E=1
805 FOR I=0 TO 7
808 H=0
810 FOR J=0 TO 15
820 C$=MID$(J$,E,1)
830 C=ASC(C$)
831 H=H XOR C:E=E+1
840 PRINT#0, HEX$(C);" ";
850 NEXT
860 PRINT#0, " :CHK=";HEX$(H)
880 NEXT
890 Return

It prints output to serial port. You must connect your SF-7000 to a PC using a null modem cable. Using Hyper Terminal you can receive the printed data.

Then attached tool convert ASCII format to a binary .SF7 dump.
ConvertTransDiskSF7000.zip (33.27 KB)
Convert Ascii file disk transfered from SEGA SF7000 to a raw binary file

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:06 pm
Also note, by default the SF-7000 communication port works at 300 bauds, or something very slow. You must open the SF-7000 and configure it to the fastest available speed, I think 9600 bauds.
Transfers takes several hours (maybe 2) at 9600 bauds. At 300 bauds it can take a whole day.

Part of the time is spent in the basic code itself, not transfert. If this program gets rewritten properly in Z80 assembly the time could get reduced a lot.

I don't need a copy of your disk with SG-1000 games now, because I have several disks with those games compilated (pirates compilations from Australia, New Zealand or France). To be honnest, I have about 300 SF-7000 disks I gathered and I haven't had time to handle all of them due to the slow dumping procedure. I'd like to use a Catweasel card to read 3" disk directly on the PC. I already talked about Catweasel author about that. Catweasel would allow retrieving exact original disk data and bypassing tricky protection systems.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Thank you...
Actually i've already read the page of Marc. but obviously i hadn't time to try the RS232 connection. What i wanted to do is to pass through RS232 the SF7 disk images to SC300 and write to Physical disk...
Anyway this tool will be useful anyway :-) Thnx!
I'm sorry i won't be able to give you something back with your disk to thank you for kindness... but... maybe later on i can do something else for this site...
I think i can go to the post office on tuesday.
Uhm... i know is not the right place but... what about the SP400 ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:57 pm
Your contributions are already way above the lending of a disk. No hurry for shipping back. Let's continue private conversation by e-mail.

I just e-mailed Jens, the author of Catweasel, to get him back on the FDC765 project to read SF-7000 disk.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:09 pm
I don't know if this can be useful too:

http://www.fvempel.nl/3pc.html
LABELS WRONG MEASURE!!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:32 pm
I'm sorry, i realized i have built the PDF in the wrong format... the page streched and the labels are not in the right dimensions.
Unfortunately i'm having problems with acrobat so... i will update de labels file soon...
Sorry for the problem.
CORRECT SF-7000 CF-2 Floppy Disk LABELS
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:29 pm
Ok, Now the labels are correct... Sorry for the error...
Bye.
SEGA_Disk_Label.zip (167.07 KB)
SF-7000 CF2 Floppy Disk Labels

Cardboard box for CF2 Disks...
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:09 am
Hi,
This is a box i made for my CF2 Disks... I don't think it is a real one... but... it is useful if you don't have the plastic jewel box.
Print on a A4 sheet of 200gr. cardboard... You can print also with less weight paper.
Enjoy!
Bye.
CF2_Disk_box_BLANK.zip (444.39 KB)
CF2-Disk_Jewel_Box

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:23 pm
Hi to all...
here I am again for another episode of this adventure :-)
I'm writing a "Manual" where people can find every kind of information about SC3000... from the technical data to joystick specifications, electric schemes, dimension etc.... This may be also useful for people who needs to make some repairs or make some researches on this computer...

Theese are the first two pages... if you have some suggestions or adds please write me!
Bye!
Pages1-2.zip (296.24 KB)
SC-3000 Technical Manual

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:39 pm
By the way... the SEGA SC-3000 box is ready, unfortunately my A3 printer can't print that format (1:1)... so if there is someone who can print up to 100 x 50 cm can make some prototypes to check if it is OK.
Thank You...
SC-3000 Main board PCB Circuit and Video card PCB Circuit.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:20 pm
Hi to all...
Today some things i've bought on e-bay has just arrived...
well... there were some books for a computerclub here in Italy, written maybe 20 years ago... I've found inside 2 sheets...
INCREDIBLE! the two electric scheme of the SC-3000!!!!! Unfortunately they are not so clear... maybe it is a photocopy but... you already know me... NOW... i'm going to rewrite all this document... and of course will enclose in the technical manual i'm writing down.
i don't know if some of you already has got it but, i've never found it before on Internet...
So I hope to make something useful for the SC-3000 preservation.
Bye!
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:29 am
Bock wrote
I just e-mailed Jens, the author of Catweasel, to get him back on the FDC765 project to read SF-7000 disk.

What is missing? When I talked to Jens, he indicated that the Catweasel supports 3-inch drives since day one. As long as you don't intend to directly access the filesystem, writing a raw dumping tool doesn't seem like too much work.

I have two Catweasels, you could borrow one for testing purposes if you wish.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:43 pm
idrougge wrote
Bock wrote

What is missing? When I talked to Jens, he indicated that the Catweasel supports 3-inch drives since day one. As long as you don't intend to directly access the filesystem, writing a raw dumping tool doesn't seem like too much work.

I mentionned the FDC765 controller as well as some basic information about SF-7000 (and how close it could be to CPC) and he said it would requires some work. The Catweasel driver programmer is apparently busy rewriting code so I guess things have not improved since then. Are people using Catweasel to dump CPC disks?

I'd very much appreciate that.
Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:54 am
Bock wrote
idrougge wrote
Bock wrote

I mentionned the FDC765 controller as well as some basic information about SF-7000 (and how close it could be to CPC) and he said it would requires some work. The Catweasel driver programmer is apparently busy rewriting code so I guess things have not improved since then. Are people using Catweasel to dump CPC disks?

I have no idea. A lot of people hack their CPCs to use normal 3,5" drives, so dumping could just as well be done using that method.

The newly uploaded SF-7000 manual hints at using FAT format. Perhaps it's not identical with the kind used by MS-DOS or MSX-DOS, but considering all the likenesses to MSX, perhaps it actually does.

Bock wrote

I'd very much appreciate that.

Tell me when you're ready, and I'll screw it out. I think you might need a special cable, but I've never been close enough to a 3" floppy to know. CPC users could tell you, and I think there are a lot of those in your country.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!