SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [museum] cheats database

Reply to topic
[museum] cheats database
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:21 am
Hello,

I am sorry if this isnt on the right section of the forums. On the main forum people have been posting large threads about cheats for games, I was wondering would it be worth while for me to make an Access database and compile all of the cheat codes into a DB and sort them by system, game name. My aim would be to also include links inside the databse for VGM downlads, Patch downloads and also have other usefull information about the games (cheats, game info and MEKA CRC's and stuff like that).

Thanks

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:47 am
It's not really worthwhile to do that much work. It might be possible to export it from Access to our SQL database if you use the right schema, but it's not going to be easy to merge data. Right now, simply having lists of cheats (and confirmation that they work) is enough, but if you want to put it in Access you are welcome.
Oh OK
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:52 am
Hello Maxim,

I see your point it was just an idea that I had, I didnt start it anyway, I just wanted something to do in my holidays

Thanks

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:47 am
I'm sure we can find something for you to do :) Maybe Bock has something on his list that you can help with.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:08 pm
Using Access isn't a bad idea to manage part of databases (difficult for the whole site, especially if we have multiple editors, etc), but if we work out the DB tables related to cheats it could be worth working on a local Access file, then have it exported and injected into the site DB (perhaps with some plug-in to link cheats to actual games ID in database).

The advantage of using Access over full web edition is that you don't have to an administration interface. Downside is that it's more centralized (we need 1 maintener for that, and he'll have to receive/handle update requests). And we need to be sure that the source Access data is properly backuped.

So

1. Define DB
( it could be as simple as the "game_tip" table in this schema: http://wip.smspower.org/tests/db/smspower-db-draft09.png )

2. Setup base Access file and export/injection scripts

3. Web interface

4. Someone to fill that in

This apply to most parts, but perhaps cheats is a good way to start since it's simple technical wise (and people like Raccoon Lad already did a great job at collecting them).

We need to discuss how to present cheats. Simple cheats (eg: UP+1) are obvious, but as we are getting into more technical stuff it will overlap with more with "Technical/Hacking" subjects.

Pro Action Replay codes are possibly infinite, and I can see people listing raw addresses in game disassembly documents rather than giving away already formatted PAR codes for the average joe.
So my suggestion would be: cheats section shows normal cheats + known basic PAR codes (limit them to standard stuff: infinite lives, level select, etc) + link to technical notes (when we'll have them). So experienced people can use the technical notes to cheats. Technical notes can also be a section describing how certain cheats were found (seeing Maxim recent posts), as we don't want to see the full technical description among regular cheats (would scare people off).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:24 pm
The problem I see is that without the "game" table, the "game_tip" table is less useful. (I'm not sure what sort_id is for, either, it looks like a foreign key to nowhere.) We may well also need the "game_version" table linked to "game_tip" which makes it harder again, at which point jacko87 will have spent a huge amount of time setting up those other 2 tables, even if most columns are empty. If he just sets up a single table with game names/versions as strings, he hasn't gained much over a simple text list.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:34 pm
sort_id would be to sort entries for a given game.
I'm not sure if it's pertinent to complicate the system by adding a game_version link from tips. If a tip is only appliable to a given version, mention it in the tip text.

Maybe I should go and create plenty of empty "game" entries in SMS Power DB for all known games, so we have fixed ID to refer to.
Houdy
Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:08 am
Hello,

Sorry guys whilst I was sleeping on the other side of the world you two were discussing this topic of discussion.

Just looking at your ER diagram I can see there is a game_tip table could it be implemented to there. Keep in mind also that you also have the game_name table in which we can relate fields between to the new table that I could create which would contain the lists of cheats for each game. I have also thought about sorting the games into systems so another table such as a systems table might be required to attempt to get some order to the database.

Here is a possible list of fields for the cheats table

1. game_id (from game_name table)
2. name (from game_name table)
3. cheat_id
4. cheat_description

It all seems confusing but if I could pull the game names from your DB it would be easier for me to get the cheats entered but it would also be easier for it to be updated as well as implemented into the current system.

I have worked with DB's before so this isnt all gibberish its just because i have used Access alot and am used to how it lays out itr REL. DB's.

Please feel free to correct me and if we all work as a team (Together Everyone Achives More) we shouldnt have to much trouble.

Thanks for the ideas and help

Jacko[/i]
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!