SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Kujakuou Update

Reply to topic
H-Clone
Kujakuou Update
Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 10:14 am
Well, the project is going relatively OK, considering I previously had no knowledge of Japanese or Hex Editing.

Using the tile viewer in Meka I managed to find the location of the first Japanese character.... wait for it... 01. That was quite a struggle to get, actually. The game appears to have complete Hirigana and Katakana character sets contained within, including all the accented characters. There's also about 9 others which I haven't identified yet.

A couple of mysteries are there (mysteries to me, anyhow).

Dynamic Tiles: it looks like Kujakuou loads one tile set over the other when required. For the title screen, a Roman font is just slapped over the hex positions of the Hirgana, corresponding to standard ASCII codes, and this is brought back for the final credits. I can't work out how to switch the tile set though... at least there is a US font in there somewhere.

Japanese Characters: Some words in the game are in Kana, some are in Hirigana and some are a mixture of the two. For the purposes of a script dump, is there any special meaning for using a hirigana character where a kana one would be equally effective? I'm also wondering what the hell these other characters are...

Mysterious Code: All spoken text in the game is prefixed with a right angle character, which I have the code for. Before this character, in the Hex Codes, is another character code which doesn't appear (01 or 02, usually). I thought this may define which name is written in the speaking window (which is not stored in the text), but an attempt to switch Dakiok and Kane's names failed, so I don't know what it is.

Tile flipping: After about AB new characters start to appear, identical to old ones, but either flipped, mirrored or shifted up. After seeing a bit of wall appear in one of these, I figured these must be linking to non-tile code and the whole thing is getting confused (or something).

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help. I'll pop the WIP table files up at some point.

H-Clone

NOMAD
Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 1999 6:48 pm
Dude, couldn't you just Abbreviate Kane and Daikak's names from the Anime??? If that's Possible???

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!