SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - to Zoop

Reply to topic
Sean
to Zoop
Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 1999 11:42 pm
hey dude, you're doing a fine job. So far, I've liked the games you posted. Recently, I downloaded all the SMS games on Emucamp, the new ones on your site and other ones not on neither site on another roms site. I have a question though..maybe you can answer it..or anybody else...the graphics on NES & the SMS..do they use the same amount of graphics or not? Both are 8-bit, but SMS seems to have more power than the NES sometimes with a few games.

SMS vs NES graphics
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 9:09 am
> hey dude, you're doing a fine job. So far, I've liked the games you posted. Recently, I downloaded all the SMS games on Emucamp, the new ones on your site and other ones not on neither site on another roms site. I have a question though..maybe you can answer it..or anybody else...the graphics on NES & the SMS..do they use the same amount of graphics or not? Both are 8-bit, but SMS seems to have more power than the NES sometimes with a few games.

Well, as the systems are completely differents, it's hard to compare.
The SMS got a wider palette and more colors than the NES, that's why most games will look better on SMS.
Limbs a Flyin'
Re: SMS vs NES graphics
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 1:12 pm
>>. I have a question though..maybe you can answer it..or anybody else...the graphics on NES & the SMS..do they use the same amount of graphics or not? Both are 8-bit, but SMS seems to have more power than the NES sometimes with a few games.

> Well, as the systems are completely differents, it's hard to compare.
> The SMS got a wider palette and more colors than the NES, that's why most games will look better on SMS.

the nes appears to be able to hold 512 8x8 graphic tiles at anyone time, where as the sms holds 448 8x8 tiles at once.

note that the max number of tiles held at one time only effects how many different tiles can be drawen on screen - it depends on the game itself how many tiles it can do - its probably rare to see either system use its max at anyone time on a screen.

the nes has 2bits per pixel tiles, that is, a tile will contain up to 3 colours (actualy 4, but one of them is used to define a 'see through' pixel, to 'see through' to any tiles behind it), and at anyone time a tile can select from 8 'colour schemes' (8 sets of 4 colours, which gives you a max of 32 colours on one screen - but using smart timing techniques, they could 'cheat' to get more - i wont go into this). i am unsure of the total amount if individual colours the nes can generate, but i think it might be.. 52?. the resolution of the nes is 256x224 (there maybe a hi res mode, perhaps?). also, a tile can be flipped horizontaly, verticaly, or both. (the sms lacks this ability).

the sms has 4bit per pixel tiles, which means a tile can have upto 15 different colours in it (actualy 16, but again, one is 'see through'). a tile can choose from one of two 16 colour schemes at any one time, which gives you 32 colours on screen. (total amount of colours the sms can generate is 64). sms has a res of 256x192 (a 4:3 ratio; same as most horozontal monitors - so a square will look like a square and not a rectangle).

probably why graphics look better on the sms is also due to 4bit per pixel Vs. 2 bit per pixel tiles.

game gear has a res of 160x144, and shares a lot with the sms, except can generate a total of 512 colours (so can genesis!)

Johannes
Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 1999 12:25 am
> the nes has 2bits per pixel tiles, that is, a tile will contain up to 3 colours (actualy 4, but one of them is used to define a 'see through' pixel, to 'see through' to any tiles behind it), and at anyone time a tile can select from 8 'colour schemes' (8 sets of 4 colours, which gives you a max of 32 colours on one screen - but using smart timing techniques, they could 'cheat' to get more - i wont go into this). i am unsure of the total amount if individual colours the nes can generate, but i think it might be.. 52?. the resolution of the nes is 256x224 (there maybe a hi res mode, perhaps?). also, a tile can be flipped horizontaly, verticaly, or both. (the sms lacks this ability).

Only sprites can be flipped though, not background tiles... :)
Also, I'm pretty sure there is no high resolution mode.

/Johannes

P-Strife
Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 1999 5:31 pm
What about the Atari 7800 compared to the FamicomNES and Master System, does it rank third in the 8-bit consoles??

Arvid Gidhagen
Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 1999 6:07 pm
> Also, I'm pretty sure there is no high resolution mode.

Yes, there is. There are a couple of NES demos that use it,
but it's pretty flickery.

- Arvid

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!