Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Adapter to use Everdrive GG on Master System

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm
Maxim wrote
Sources say it is V6.

Fat16 or fat32?

Edit:
compiled v6 is missing from here: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/master-everdrive/v1/os-bin/

If it is .sms it should be fat16, if it is .mso it should support fat32.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:27 pm
I'm guessing 16. Isn't this the same source we had already some years ago?
Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:32 pm
Maxim wrote
I'm guessing 16. Isn't this the same source we had already some years ago?

I don't know, i've never seen it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 pm
Well I may be wrong, this is just a quick scan through on my phone.

#define OS_VERSION 6

fatOpenDir(u16 entry);

Looks like V6 with FAT16 to me. The previous version at http://www.smspower.org/forums/13347-MasterEverdriveSources was v4.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Maxim wrote
Well I may be wrong, this is just a quick scan through on my phone.

#define OS_VERSION 6

fatOpenDir(u16 entry);

Looks like V6 with FAT16 to me. The previous version at http://www.smspower.org/forums/13347-MasterEverdriveSources was v4.

Try this, it should be the latest one: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/OS-edmd-sms.zip

Many thanks to krikzz for those sources :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:42 am
u8 fat_load_dir(u32 entry);

FAT32!

I didn't find the version number but it seems to have all the info needed. It's a bit messy, possibly due to having bits of other things in there, but broadly it seems possible to build on quite easily.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:00 pm
Maxim wrote

FAT32!

I didn't find the version number but it seems to have all the info needed. It's a bit messy, possibly due to having bits of other things in there, but broadly it seems possible to build on quite easily.

Fantastic! I hope Someone will build a totally new interface suitable for both gg and sms using those sources! Maybe we can talk about that in a New thread :p
Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm
asper wrote
Maxim wrote

FAT32!

Fantastic! I hope Someone will build a totally new interface suitable for both gg and sms using those sources! Maybe we can talk about that in a New thread :p

You mean something like what the attached patch does? Dunno if this patch will work as-is. For the previous patch I ensured that the checksum is the same as before.
os-v9-2.ips (31 B)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm
Calindro wrote
asper wrote
Maxim wrote

FAT32!

You mean something like what the attached patch does? Dunno if this patch will work as-is. For the previous patch I ensured that the checksum is the same as before.

Something that will automatically works with both gg and sms when flashed on the everdrive Without palette problems. We (me and zeus) will test your patch ASAP, Thank you :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 pm
I'm not committing to making anything but I think the loader could:

- load some graphics (eg screenshots/box art) during browse, maybe on pause, from the filesystem - would not be pretty though
- have some music :) Wii Shop demake anyone?
- remember your "favourites" and also recently loaded games
- tell you what game is already loaded
- have a search feature
- ratings
- cheats lookup, possibly with Game Genie patching (I'm not sure what the X7 does here?)
- Upper and lower case text :)
- Perhaps some customisation from config files (colours, localisation)

All except the actual game loading would be possible to do without loading as "os". Another thing that ought to be possible is a filesystem library for homebrew that might want to read and write the file system.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm
Maxim wrote

- load some graphics (eg screenshots/box art) during browse, maybe on pause, from the filesystem - would not be pretty though
- have a search feature
- ratings
- cheats lookup, possibly with Game Genie patching (I'm not sure what the X7 does here?)

All except the actual game loading would be possible to do without loading as "os". Another thing that ought to be possible is a filesystem library for homebrew that might want to read and write the file system.

I agree with everything!

Zeus also tested the new ips patch and it works fine for both sms and gg! Thank you Calindro!!
Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 am
asper wrote
Maxim wrote

- have a search feature
- ratings

I agree with everything!

Zeus also tested the new ips patch and it works fine for both sms and gg! Thank you Calindro!!

Yess! it works great in this 2 systems, Thanks Calindro.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm
Last edited by asper on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Calindro wrote
asper wrote
Maxim wrote

FAT32!

Hi Calindro !

I just tested the SMS -> Mark III adapter (bought on Aliexpress) with Olympic Gold for GameGear (on Mark III of course!) and it works fine without any patch :)

I also tested GG everdrive with the adapter on Mark III but I just got a black screen ! Is there a patch that can be made to the Everdrive GG OS to make it working with Mark III and/or SG1000 ? I can do any test if you need !
Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:09 pm
Calindro wrote

Thank you for this! It works in my Game Gear, and now it detects the Master Everdrive as a GG cart, without having to switch the modded MasterGear converter everytime!

Though, I still have an annoying issue, possibly hardware related, the Everdrive probably suffers from a power issue. It works perfectly with old OS v5 (FAT16), rarely with V7 beta, and never with V8 and v9. I guess that's because V5 uses much less power than newer OS.

I managed to patch my V7 OS following the ips tips and hex editing the mso file, but V7 don't work 100% for my GG.

Could you please work the same patch for the v5 or v6 firmwares?

Thanks.

OT: I also read a thread where a Master Everdrive user already recapped his Game Gear to no success:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7371.0
Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 pm
asper wrote
Calindro wrote
asper wrote
Maxim wrote

FAT32!

Hi Calindro !

I just tested the SMS -> Mark III adapter (bought on Aliexpress) with Olympic Gold for GameGear (on Mark III of course!) and it works fine without any patch :)

I also tested GG everdrive with the adapter on Mark III but I just got a black screen ! Is there a patch that can be made to the Everdrive GG OS to make it working with Mark III and/or SG1000 ? I can do any test if you need !

I think it's a hardware issue and cannot be fixed in software.
Even a Master Everdrive can fail to work on a Mark III.
See http://www.smspower.org/forums/16516-GettingMasterEverdriveOSV8WorkingOnSEGAMARK...

dplc81 wrote

See attached patch. :)
os-v5.ips (33 B)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 am
Last edited by Charles MacDonald on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
If you want to order the PCB here's the original project link at OSH Park:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/ozcIRkhg

You can also download the Eagle .BRD file from that link and export Gerbers at your PCB fabricator of choice. If anyone has trouble with that let me know and I can put all the design files including Gerber files on GitHub.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 am
Calindro wrote
asper wrote
Calindro wrote
asper wrote
Maxim wrote

FAT32!

Hi Calindro !

I think it's a hardware issue and cannot be fixed in software.
Even a Master Everdrive can fail to work on a Mark III.
See http://www.smspower.org/forums/16516-GettingMasterEverdriveOSV8WorkingOnSEGAMARK...

dplc81 wrote

Great! Thank you man!
What about SG1000/SG1000II console ? Is it possible to Make everdrive to work with it (i am receiving the console in few weeks).?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 am
asper wrote

Reading here...

https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/03/13/creation-of-a-sega-mark-iii-everdrive-flash-cart/

It would suggest OS v5 will work on a unmodified MkIII.

As for SG-1000/SC-3000 i suspect the ever drive menu system is not using compatible video modes, so you would likely have to change a bit more than the colour pallet that to get it working.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:19 am
wasup wrote
asper wrote

Reading here...

https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/03/13/creation-of-a-sega-mark-iii-everdrive-flash-cart/

It would suggest OS v5 will work on a unmodified MkIII.

As for SG-1000/SC-3000 i suspect the ever drive menu system is not using compatible video modes, so you would likely have to change a bit more than the colour pallet that to get it working.

So it can be done via software? Waiting for Calindro's opinion :)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Calindro wrote
dplc81 wrote

Thank you so much!

After flashing and using it in my SMS, it booted in GG mode, showing wrong colors, rendering the menu options with wrong colors (or letters in the same color of the background) using GG resolution. In my Game Gear it ran fine in both modes. Then I took a look and reverted some additional (?) code changes you did:

0000023F: E6 B7
00000240: 08 00

I really don't understand much of this, but reverting these addresses back made it work correctly in the SMS again.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:25 pm
Anyone with SG1000 and master everdrive/everdrive gg experience ? Does it works ?

Is the video mode of everdrive gg (patched for gg/sms) compatible with SG1000?
Done !
Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:29 am
I did the capacitor mod on my Mark III and now both Master Everdrive (clone - recently found at Aliexpress) and Everdrive GG (with GG->SMS and SMS->MK3 adapters) work !

About Everdrive GG if I start it up directly I get a black screen but pressing the "PAUSE" button while at black screen will show "OS Init" and then it works ! (dunno exactly why but it works).

I will soon test all the stuff with an SG1000 II !
Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:33 pm
pushing the PAUSE button makes the CPU jump to (well, technically 'call') address $66, so the code was probably stuck somewhere and by luck you can pull it out from the loop.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:52 pm
sverx wrote
pushing the PAUSE button makes the CPU jump to (well, technically 'call') address $66, so the code was probably stuck somewhere and by luck you can pull it out from the loop.

Great to know !

Anyway I just tested a master everdrive (with adapter) into an SG1000II; result: green screen... is there something that can be patched to use the master everdrive on that cool old console ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 pm
The OS will need to be rewritten to use the older graphics mode. You might try loading a ROM on a Master System and then running it “blind” on the SG.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:51 am
Last edited by asper on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
The OS will need to be rewritten to use the older graphics mode. You might try loading a ROM on a Master System and then running it “blind” on the SG.

Thanks Maxim !

So do you think the "green screen" is functional ? I mean I can try to copy a single rom in the cart and try to load it remembering which buttons to press ! If so is it possible to make an OS patch to change the graphic mode (such as for GG/SMS mode) or should it be recompiled from scratch ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:56 am
All things are possible but it's a big project.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:58 am
Maxim wrote
All things are possible but it's a big project.

Maybe wasup (the author of the previous patches) can help us :)

I will get here back here after the "blind" testing ! Thank you again !!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:31 pm
asper wrote
is there something that can be patched to use the master everdrive on that cool old console ?

you might try using a separate SD card where you put only one game and you name its ROM as 'os-v9.mso' - the everdrive firmware should run that directly.

edit: no sorry it won't work.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:19 am
I think the OS for these EverDrive models assumes more system RAM than the Mark II had, in addition to the video mode issues already discussed. I don't know whether they also rely on other Mark III-and-later features, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 am
That’s true - I think it uses the system RAM as a buffer.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:39 pm
as Calindro already did the reverse engineering work of the EverDrive, I guess one enough motivated coder could use that info and write a new OS in C, using devkitSMS/SGlib, so that it works on an SG-1000.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm
sverx wrote
as Calindro already did the reverse engineering work of the EverDrive, I guess one enough motivated coder could use that info and write a new OS in C, using devkitSMS/SGlib, so that it works on an SG-1000.

I hope someone with the proper skill will appear some day :)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!