Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Adding a twin stick feature

Reply to topic
Adding a twin stick feature
Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 pm
I was wondering if there are any SMS games that have been modded to add a "twin stick" functionality using a second controller. Presumably the d-pad on the Player 2 controller would fire the weapon and simultaneously set the angle that it is being fired. Smash TV would be an obvious choice since that's the original arcade configuration, but other games like Time Soldiers, Mercs, Line of Fire, and Ashura/Rambo/Secret Command might benefit from the option. Would it be possible?

Global Defense has a similar built-in option for this (although with automatic fire rather than it being triggered by pushing the d-pad). Also, it is the reverse of typical twin stick controls, with the Player 1 controller moving the aiming cursor and the Player 2 controller moving the player's satellite... but of course you can swap the positions of the controllers.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm
I guess it would be quite uncomfortable to play with the standard controllers - you either need an arcade style mounted controller or a Dual Shock style controller with a D-pad on both sides. I think Global Defense's support was intended for cooperative play.

Given that the games don't have a way to move and shoot in different directions at the same time, it's likely to be quite involved to make it possible. If the games let you alternate between setting the shooting direction and movement direction then it may be easier than if you can't control them independently at all.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:37 am
Maxim wrote
I guess it would be quite uncomfortable to play with the standard controllers.

It's actually not that bad using two "Model 1" Control Pads ( wire at the right instead of the top ).

(*MOD* Attachment fairy. Please _always_ use attachment, don't link to imgur. Thank you)
WvMilzu.png (120.57 KB)
WvMilzu.png

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:15 am
Maxim wrote
I guess it would be quite uncomfortable to play with the standard controllers - you either need an arcade style mounted controller or a Dual Shock style controller with a D-pad on both sides. I think Global Defense's support was intended for cooperative play.

Yes, when playing Global Defense with two controllers I have used the Sports Pad to control the aim, and the Control Stick to control the ship, with both of them resting on a surface so I don't have to try and hold them like Control Pads. I would envision something like that, with two Control Sticks or MD Arcade Power Sticks that are large and heavy enough to not slide around.

Maxim wrote
Given that the games don't have a way to move and shoot in different directions at the same time, it's likely to be quite involved to make it possible. If the games let you alternate between setting the shooting direction and movement direction then it may be easier than if you can't control them independently at all.

Oh, so most games are maybe coded something like this... when the bullet object spawns, bullet.direction == player.direction? I recall that Smash TV has maybe three control scheme options but I don't know if those would make it easier or make it even more of a hassle to try and create a new control scheme.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:29 am
Kjell wrote
It's actually not that bad using two "Model 1" Control Pads ( wire at the right instead of the top ).

I was wondering about using them in an unusual orientation but then the game would need to exist that. Another option is to attach one rotated 180 degrees to another to make a "dual-pad" controller, but again the wires get ugly.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 am
I think you can easily make two controller adapters that switch the 4 directional wires around.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!