Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Two quick questions

Reply to topic
Two quick questions
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:31 am
Hi, I hope these questions are in the correct forum and haven't been posted a billion times:

1) I'm looking to pick up the European/Japanese version of Great Soccer on the Sega Card (not US Great Soccer/Euro World Soccer). I've read that the Mark III Sega Cards can't be played on a US Master System/Genesis because of a missing Bios Header? Would like to confirm this, because the Japanese version is MUCH cheaper than the Euro version.

2) I've seen reference to some of the later Brazilian games not being compatible with a US Master System? (Sonic Blast, SF2, etc). Would this apply to a US Genesis with Power Base Converter? How can you play those titles, only with a Brazilian Master System?

Thanks in advance to all!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm
1) You can't play a Japanese My Card on a EU/US SMS.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:33 pm
boye wrote

And I'm assuming that applies to a region hacked Genesis set to Japanese running a Power Base Converter, right? That's what I was getting out of the other posts, but I didn't see that specific scenario listed. Probably why the Japanese version is so cheap.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 pm
I think Japanese Cards are playable on any Megadrive/Genesis with Power Base adapter, as they lack BIOS's....
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:36 pm
Only Mark 3 cards, due to the lack of any SG-1000 video modes in the Genesis.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 pm
boye wrote

Japanese My Cards don't work at EU/US SMS? This is really a fact? There's some report/test of someone who bought a JP My Card and tried to use at an EU/US SMS?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm
Some have the header, some don't.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 pm
Maxim wrote
Some have the header, some don't.

There's some kind of compatibility list?

If not, I would like to know if these two japanese My Card games will work in the EU/US SMS with no problem: Penguin Land (SG-1000) and Pit Pot (Mark III).
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm
boye wrote
Only Mark 3 cards, due to the lack of any SG-1000 video modes in the Genesis.

true! I forgot to point that
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 pm
Penguin Land is on cartridge, not card.

Pit Pot won't work with an export Master System (bad checksum, Japan region code). It should be fine on a PBC.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 pm
So, to sum up number one, if I'm using a Genesis + Power Base converter, I should be able to play the Japanese My Card III release of Great Soccer. I guess I'll pick one up and find out.

For number 2, when I get around to collecting the Brazilian exclusives, keep in mind that same plan, to play on a Genesis with PBC rather than a US Master System. So, would I be able to play stuff like Street Fighter 2, MK3 or Sonic Blast?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 am
You can still play them on a master system.. you just need to either mod the master system with a different bios that has no header checking or build youself a boot loader cart.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 am
Maxim wrote
Penguin Land is on cartridge, not card.

I think there's a little confusion here... The cartridge version is a SMS game, and the My Card version is a SG-1000 game.

The first game of the series, called Doki Doki Penguin Land in Japan with no western release, was released for SG-1000 in My Card format.
SOURCE, with the photo of the physical media.

The sequel released for the Mark III, called Doki Doki Penguin Land: Uchuu Daibouken in Japan and simply as Penguin Land in the western release, was released in cartridge format.
SOURCE, with the photo of the physical media.

Maxim wrote
Pit Pot won't work with an export Master System (bad checksum, Japan region code). It should be fine on a PBC.

Really? Too bad... :(

So, there's no way to play the My Card version of Pit Pot in a real western SMS machine? :(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 pm
As far as I know, no SG cards have the header to boot on an export system.

Thus you need to use a loader. Either by using a replacement BIOS, or using a flash cart to load the game, or using a flash cart to load a loader to play from the real card.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pm
anthrax442 wrote
2) I've seen reference to some of the later Brazilian games not being compatible with a US Master System? (Sonic Blast, SF2, etc). Would this apply to a US Genesis with Power Base Converter? How can you play those titles, only with a Brazilian Master System

anthrax442 wrote
For number 2, when I get around to collecting the Brazilian exclusives, keep in mind that same plan, to play on a Genesis with PBC rather than a US Master System. So, would I be able to play stuff like Street Fighter 2, MK3 or Sonic Blast?

I'm not sure, but I believe the 8 megs Master System games don't work only in some early Mark III/Master System models. This is something I have read along the years. What I can confirm is that they all work fine in my Japanese Master System and also in my Mega Drive with Power Base Converter.

The 8 megs games for the Master System (not counting unlicensed games and converted Game Gear games) are Sitio do Picapau Amarelo, Sonic Blast, Street Fighter II' and Virtua Fighter Animation, by the way. Mortal Kombat 3 isn't, that one is 4 megs, so there shouldn't be any problem at all with that one.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm
Wesker wrote

I'm not sure, but I believe the 8 megs Master System games don't work only in some early Mark III/Master System models. This is something I have read along the years. What I can confirm is that they all work fine in my Japanese Master System and also in my Mega Drive with Power Base Converter.

The 8 megs games for the Master System (not counting unlicensed games and converted Game Gear games) are Sitio do Picapau Amarelo, Sonic Blast, Street Fighter II' and Virtua Fighter Animation, by the way. Mortal Kombat 3 isn't, that one is 4 megs, so there shouldn't be any problem at all with that one.

Thank you!!! Was looking for someone that had tried them with a Power Base converter. I guess I'll start saving some money and check ebay periodically. Seeing SF2 list for $500 hurts, but I know it's rare.

Also, as far as my other question goes, I got my copy of Great Soccer in today, and it's in beautiful shape for a 34 year old game. I popped the card in the power base converter, and it fired right up, didn't have to have the Genesis set for Japan or anything. Super happy about that, saved $160 or so from what the European version is going for.

Thanks again to all who responded.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!