Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Question about adventure games on the SMS

Reply to topic
Question about adventure games on the SMS
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am
I like very much that the SMS have in its library King's Quest (!!!) and Cosmic Spacehead. What did you think was that reason that the developers didn't port or create adventures games for consoles? Was there not enough audience for this genre or was it very hard for the developers to create them for the consoles?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 am
Simply put, Master System had no Mouse.

Most adventure games of the 90s were designed (or worked a lot better) with mice. Which is why they were much more common/popular on personal computers such as DOS, Amiga, Macintosh, than on consoles including the SMS
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 am
I think there were two more pieces of hardware needed - a keyboard (adventure games started there) and a way to save games (although cartridge save RAM did exist). I think consoles were just aiming at arcade style gameplay and not so often the long sessions with saves that you would need for an adventure game.

The later mouse driven adventure games often had VGA artwork which would have suffered on the move to the Master System.

Thinking of some of the other systems - there was a NES Maniac Mansion, obviously lots of lofi adventure games on home computers of the early 80s which could have been ported... So I guess it was also just not thought to be a good idea that would sell well.

I did experiment with making a Z-machine interpreter for SMS some years ago but I didn't get far...
Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 am
Great point with keyboard for the old games and storage problems :)

Explains why the SC-3000 had a fair bit more of the older, keyboard-based adventure games released in Australia and New Zealand (on Cassette tape, not Cartridge), even though it has the same CPU as the Master System and was an older machine.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am
Great explanations!! Yes, I think saving your status was one problem. Passwords partly gave solution to this.

I wish for a "point and click adventure interpreter" for the SMS! Just, do it!!!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!