SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Japanese Master System questions

Reply to topic
Japanese Master System questions
Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:13 am
Hi all,

I just returned from my first visit to Japan, and I found a rather expensive (but really tempting) Japanese Master System (not Mark III) that I was unable to let go and I had to bring home.

I also got a bunch of Mark III carts and cards and, since I already got a few for collecting purposes (those covers are so nice), I'm ready to go!
But I have a few questions for you experts out there:

1 - I guess I can't just use the AC adaptor from one of my European Master Systems or use the Japanese AC adaptor that came with the console with a simple plug adaptor so that it will fit, due to voltage issues, right? Would I need a voltage converter or something like that so I won't fry my console? I'm located in Spain, by the way (220V, 50 Hz if I'm not mistaken). As you can see from this question, I'm at a total loss with electric stuff and voltages.

2 - The console came with 2 control pads but, are the Western controllers compatible?

3 - Are Western 3-D glasses compatible too?

4 - Has anyone tried this Western carts to Mark III/Jap SMS converter? Does it really work well?
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1mXyqKFXXXXaZXpXXq6xXFXXXt/Env-o-gratis-SMS2SG1000-Sega-Master-versi-n-de-ee-uu-a-Sega-MARK-III-versi.jpg_640x640.jpg

Thanks in advance for your answers, looking forward to firing up my new toy without setting it on fire! ;)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 am
(1) You can use it, and you _should_.

(2) Yes the western pads are compatible.

(3) Yes the western glasses are compatible (and you won't need the 3-d glasses adapter).

(4) They work well. You may also use the gender adapter (http://www.smspower.org/forums/8714). There are a few titles which probably work with top-slot games which don't with rear-slot gender adapter.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:56 am
Thanks a lot Bock!

Bock wrote
(1) You can use it, and you _should_.

Sorry for being reiterative, but I'm just so afraid of seeing smoke coming out of my SMS. You mean I can and should use a European AC adaptor with the Japanese SMS? No voltage converter needed or anything like that? That's awesome, but I thought all Japanese consoles would fry when plugged into Western 220V.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 am
Oh, and...

About RGB output, there's nothing to worry about that, right? I can use my standard RGB scart cable that I use with my Western SMS and Mega Drive, am I correct?

Thanks again!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am
DC and RGB are the same globally, it's only consoles with internal AC adaptors which let out the magic smoke when you plug the wrong thing in.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:00 am
thoja wrote
but I thought all Japanese consoles would fry when plugged into Western 220V.

The purpose of the adapter is to turn your 220V into something suitable for the console. That "something suitable" is the same for all SMS. The adapters are not the same. I don't know if it would work with a Japanese AC Adapter on your 220V socket however.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm
Bock wrote
thoja wrote
but I thought all Japanese consoles would fry when plugged into Western 220V.

The purpose of the adapter is to turn your 220V into something suitable for the console. That "something suitable" is the same for all SMS. The adapters are not the same. I don't know if it would work with a Japanese AC Adapter on your 220V socket however.

Ah, yes, understood. I finally was able to give it a go yesterday and, as expected, it worked perfectly. First time hearing FM audio out of my TV without using emulators, quite the event!

So thanks for all your answers. One last thing would be: would it be safe to use a Mega Drive (version 1) adaptor with the Jap SMS? I'm assuming it would be, since that's the one I normally use with my Euro SMS and you said that "something suitable" is the same for all SMS (I had to dig out an original SMS adaptor from a deep cupboard for my tests yesterday). But I see it's 10V instead of 9V, hence my doubts.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!