Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Need some help with a generic light gun

Reply to topic
Need some help with a generic light gun
Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:47 am
I found in my opinion a really cool light gun (looks like a James Bond gun) a while back and I finally got around to testing it out. Doesn't work. So I took it apart and found a wire loose. Can't seem to find where it came off of. The wire is pin 7 witch says light sensor in pinouts I've been able to look up. But I can't find any spot on the board or trigger that looks like the wire was ever there. I got some great help fixing my dead controls here a while ago and I'm hoping those in the know can help me once more. Also when I took the gun apart the wire was right near the board if that helps at all
IMAG1640.jpg (1.73 MB)
IMAG1640.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:52 am
Not sure how to add more than one picture. Here's the other side of the board.
IMAG1639.jpg (2.11 MB)
IMAG1639.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:09 pm
can you get some better/up closer/less blurry pics possibly take them outside without flash or in a bright room (bathroom etc), so we can see the solder a bit better to find where the wire came off.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:02 pm
The picture showing the back side of the board... id say its come off the right hand side most pad next to where that orange wire connects. It sort of looks like its fallen off there as the solder is clear from one pad.

Also if you look at the top side of the board there are 2 holes in that track for wires to solder through.. all the others only have one.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:06 pm
This is about the best I can do for the moment but even having the thing in my hand I can't see a spot not unless it goes to the very small solder point at the bottom corner of the board. But iv already tried holding it to that one and had no change
IMAG1647.jpg (2.93 MB)
IMAG1647.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 am
looking over it and at other simple light gun schematics, it should be soldered with that red on on the right (board traces facing up). you could also solder it directly to the anode of the sensor diode. Its a little confusing since they use two red leads at first glance.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 am
Well I read all the helpful responses and looked over the board again with them in mind. The spot I mentioned suspecting it to go to shares a tracer with the red wire with the large glob of solder. I'm really not sure why it has 2 red wires one comes from the system straight to the board and the one with the larger glob comes from the trigger switch. I tried it on that shared tracer and nothing changed then I more or less gave up and just held the wire on each of the solder points and it still didn't work. So I'm thinking it's just nfg for other reasons so it's just going in the parts and repairs bin for now and I'm going to keep an eye out for a different working generic gun that doesn't look as rad or even a Sega gun with a messed up casing and put the guts into my cool looking one. The guns casing does have tons of room inside to do that sort of thing. Anyway thanks for helping everyone I really appreciate :) EDIT. I found almost identical (still not quite as cool looking) light guns online for around 20 after shipping. I can get mint Sega ones locally for 10 and I know of 1 working messed up casing one but the seller is out to lunch on price. Can someone advise me on the rarity of the actual light phaser? Or even just point me in the right direction for a cheap way to fix this one.I'm the kind of person who has a hard time messing up cool old items but it looks like its my cheapest option to have straight up the coolest light gun I've seen working. And yes I really do like old gun games alot haha so having a really cool gun for them is awesome in my books
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm
If it still doesn't work you may need to replace either the transistor or sensor. Keep in mind, sense lines need an extremely solid connection to their leads else the signal wont be transmitted properly.

Light phasers are not too expensive, Ive had a few and you can often find them on ebay for 15~30$ depending on the condition and region of origin.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:09 am
Does the light sensor happen to be the thing that looks like an led light? If so I think your right about that being the problem. The pins coming out of that are blackened like they've been shorted or something. I think it will be just as easy to find another generic gun to donate it's guts. I do have the proper Sega phaser to use for now
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!