Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Prototype Road Rash II for Game Gear ever dumped??

Reply to topic
Prototype Road Rash II for Game Gear ever dumped??
Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:12 pm
Has the proto of this game for GG ever dumped?

https://youtu.be/dEIjS8rohAY

Maybe the best aproach to have this done faster those days than recreating another engine (or is it a modification of Road Rash engine?) had been to use Road Rash engine.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:24 pm
No, it hasn't been found yet as far as I know. I would expect it to be based on the same engine.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:24 pm
No, it hasn't been found yet as far as I know. I would expect it to be based on the same engine.
Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 am
The video shows that the engine is different, the way the objects are scaling, the bikers are wider, the battle system was improved, what if they just changed the interface, the music, the tracks, add nitro and chain weapon then Road Rash II would be created.

There is also a version for GBC really horrid, never try that game, some questions come to my mind about how was managed this project to end in an unreleased game:

-Was there a release date then?
-Why the game was changed graphically, playability that much?
-and Why this came out as another game in the end?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am
Dilly Dylan managed to talk to a dev just a few weeks ago:

Hi again, Dylan.

Yup - I was the programmer on the Road Rash 2 port for Teque back then.

This is it, I'm sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEIjS8rohAY. I heard a rumour that some other shop took a run at it afterwards, but there's enough in that video to make me think that wasn't someone else's.

I was a programmer in London, England and RR2 was my second and last project for Teque, written at their Greenwich office. My first project was porting Beastball (aka Brutal Sports Football, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvjlzntgIEE) on the PC from Peter Jefferies' Amiga version. Fun fact: we had to change the copious blood from red to blue in the German version to get it rated. I believe Peter is still in the industry at Midway: his LI is https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-jefferies-64406b2/, however he was not at all involved in RR2.

My bosses there were Tony Love and Barry Costas, and my upstream contact through them for RR2 was with Time Warner in California. Sorry - I don't know his name, but I do remember he was a cool guy. I didn't know what the arrangement was, if any, between Time Warner and EA. I haven't spoken to anyone from Teque since this side of Y2K.

The game was completed and delivered but Teque and I parted ways immediately after. I can't speak with authority about why the game was not released but my memory from contacts I kept afterwards is that Time Warner decided not to proceed to market with it. Fair enough - they paid for it and can do what they want with their stuff. It could well be because it was late and so missed the opportunity of cross-advertising, or because it was relatively mediocre even for the time. Hey ... it was my first console project X-D

It's also worth remembering that the original Doom was released just before. I remember we had a single 486dx2 and the entire company turned out to watch Doom being played on it, and it seemed the entire industry, pivoted to 3D games. Road Rash 2 vs original Doom? I know which I'd prefer!

As I recall RR2 wasn't a port from original source code like Beastball was: I had the original on console for reference - no source - and I was to recreate it for the Game Gear with a laundry list of changes the biggest of which was playing vs a second Game Gear over a connecting cable. I recalled we needed quite a buffer to deal with drop-outs along it. I also recall being asked to do it because I had z80a experience.

If you have particular questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm
All my questions were answered in some way and shocked me at the same time, so the programmer hadn't the source code (Road Rash II SMD) and maybe neither the source from Road Rash GG, then recreated the game from scratch.

They should have kept "Gary Priest" who ported the game from SMD and did a really great job at the point this is the best scaling and racing game of all time to me for the SMS.

The game finished its development and was delivered and never released even seems to have 2P mode, maybe this is the reason they recreated the game from scratch instead of using Road Rash GG as a base engine.
Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 pm
The credits from Road Rash II are still in Kawasaki Superbike Challenge:
https://tcrf.net/Kawasaki_Superbike_Challenge_(Game_Gear)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!