Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Which SMS consoles came with the Snail Maze Game?

Reply to topic
Which SMS consoles came with the Snail Maze Game?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 pm
Last edited by TheSegaDude on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hey guys,

I recently made a post asking for some help fixing a broken SMS. The death of that SMS lead me to discover something that was a bit of a surprise.

I thought any SMS that has the Snail Maze Game built in had only the Maze Game built in and never anything else.

When my SMS (with the maze game) broken I plugged in a different SMS which had Hang-on built-in and I tried the HOLD UP + A + B code at boot up to see if the Maze Game would load... and it did!

So my SMS which boots directly to Hang-on when no Cartridge or Card is plugged in also has the hidden Maze Game in it's BIOS.

I searched but I didn't find really specific details on what versions of the SMS have the Maze Game.

I could not find my SMS with Hang-on & Safari Hunt to try HOLD UP + A + B for the Maze Game. I'm guessing there is no Maze Game on that model. I think I remember trying many years ago.

Does anyone know for sure what SMS consoles have the Maze Game?

Also, (unrelated) I recently bought a boxed SMS (pictured below). The box version featuring the light phaser, SMS console, two control pads and with a picture of Hang-on and Safari Hunt.

And in the upper right hand corner there is a black triangle sticker saying "free game inside".

Did this SMS come with Hang-on and Safari Hunt built in or did it come with the Hang-on and Safari Hunt on one cartridge in a case with manual?

If it came with a physical cartridge what was the built in game?

I'm asking because this boxed SMS that I have has a space in the foam packing for a cartridge case. Did Sega leave that space empty?

I'm curious because I'd like to complete this box and make it as much like new as I can.

Thanks!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 pm
Built in games are documented at http://www.smspower.org/Development/BIOSes - Snail Maze comes in the Hang On and Hang On and Safari Hunt versions, not in any others with built in games.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:31 am
Thanks Maxim.

So the place I asked the question is the place that has the answer! I didn't search well enough.

That is an amazing amount of detail about the BIOS versions.

I'm glad that the maze game is in so many Master Systems. I've always been very fond of that little game :)
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm
i'm curious about one thing: how can we have a .sms file with Snail Maze only, and starting automatically like any other game from cartridge? (like from an ips patch)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 am
The patched ROM is widely available.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:11 pm
Hello

My Pal Master System Power Base has Hang on + Safari Hunt, but the Snail Maze cheat (Up + 1+2) doesn't seems to work.
It just goes to Hang on...

Are there some version of Hang on + Safari Hunt Bios that miss Snail Maze?

Or is there a strict timing to activate snail maze?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:48 am
Hunter wrote
Hello

My Pal Master System Power Base has Hang on + Safari Hunt, but the Snail Maze cheat (Up + 1+2) doesn't seems to work.

I tried on an emulator (meka), Bios hang on - safari hunt, and the cheat for snail maze of course works.

But on real hardware it doesn't work.

Any clue?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:27 pm
Hunter wrote
Hunter wrote
Hello

I tried on an emulator (meka), Bios hang on - safari hunt, and the cheat for snail maze of course works.

But on real hardware it doesn't work.

Any clue?

For the record, i tried to use a Mega Drive Control Pad instead of MS controller, and I was able to unlock snail maze on my master system unit.
So there is some kind of issue with MS controller (strange because all inputs seems to works fine in-game).
Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 pm
I always had difficulty activating Snail Maze, only getting it every other attempt or less.
Though that may be just the impression I have, with pads I wore out some 30 years ago...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!