Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Unreleased Game Gear game: Bubsy II

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Unreleased Game Gear game: Bubsy II
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:26 pm
Last edited by Bock on Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Someone posted that they got a ROM for this a few years ago.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=26&catid=35&thread...

Tried to reach to them in various ways but failed for now.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Bubsy_II_(lost_build_of_unreleased_Game_Gear_port_of_2...

"
Bubsy II is the second game in the Bubsy series, and was released for the SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive on October 28th, 1994, with a Game Boy port in 1995, and a PC re-release on December 17th, 2015. The game's reception was similar to that of the first Bubsy game, where it was critically acclaimed at the time, but in recent years the reception has grown more negative, with the entirety of the 90's Bubsy games now being heavily criticized.

During development of Bubsy II, another version of the game was being developed alongside the versions that were released. This version of the game was to be released on Sega's handheld console, the Game Gear. From what is available of this version of the game, it appears to be nothing more than a colorized version of the Game Boy port. The Game Boy port of Bubsy II can be seen colorized if it is being played on a Super Game Boy, but the coloring on the Super Game Boy version appears to be far more basic than that of the Game Gear port, as the Super Game Boy version just puts a red tint over everything.

Nothing else is known about this port of the game, as the only evidence of its existence is two screenshots in a post on the Nintendoage forums. The port itself has never been released, though due to Bubsys rising relevancy with the release of Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back on PS4 and PC on October 31st, 2017, there is still a chance it could receive a release, be it official or unofficial.
"
Bubsy2gg1.png (50.41 KB)
Bubsy2gg1.png
Bubsy2gg2.png (48.78 KB)
Bubsy2gg2.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Further post says:

"Found some files from the Dragon's Fury II game for the master system and game gear. no idea if there is any playble roms in it. could it be that the sended it with email back then and it is still in one of the email files ?"

With those inintelligible pictures.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:09 pm
Nice find, hope some day we can play it
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:44 pm
Ah, I had completely forgot that he posted MORE pictures of the files and screenshots in Google Drive, here's the high-res Dragon's Fury stuff first.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:48 pm
And here's the Climax package including Bubsy II stuff.
I believe this ZIP has been "lost" seeing the Wiki page above state there aren't more Bubsy screenshots than the two above.

Attaching A FEW of the shots, there's more in the ZIP

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 am
Bock wrote
but the coloring on the Super Game Boy version appears to be far more basic than that of the Game Gear port, as the Super Game Boy version just puts a red tint over everything.

That's generally about as much as any game did.
I'm going to guess coloring was doing by assigning palette bits in the tilemap on the SNES side of the SGB.
It was probably too taxing to continuously update for moving images, so the better color capabilities were rarely used outside of static images like title screens.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:26 pm
Nice find!

Noticed the Dutch names of those screenshot files. I talked to Steven in the past on ASSEMbler regarding Saturn games. You could try over there. He also sold stuff on eBay in the past.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:36 pm
S.F.: I think Steven notoriously has been against his dumps being released. I contact many of the addresses/sites I could get find him on. Tried some more yesterday so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, good news:

By looking into credits for the game I noticed the programmer also worked on Chicago Syndicate. I remembered I purchased a few old backup CD with Chicago Syndicate data last year, and managed to retrieve the data using an old Mac yesterday. The CD appears to contain some Bubsy source code (complete? incomplete? I don't know yet) so we can look into trying to rebuild the rom from the source code. I also have the source code for Chicago Syndicate in there.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:11 pm
Hmm, ok :( Hopefully he'll get back to you.

Good news about finding the CD, though!
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm
Another awesome find, Omar! I cross my fingers that you´ll manage it to get in touch with the guy to get the ROM.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 pm
steven78 will be hard to catch, he disapeared around 1.5 years ago, he owns many nice protos but stopped to answer.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:45 pm
The CD appears to contain some Bubsy source code (complete? incomplete? I don't know yet) so we can look into trying to rebuild the rom from the source code.

Sweet find! Interested in seeing how this develops.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 pm
any news?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 am
We found what appears to be Dragon's Fury II (GG/SMS) source code in there, but it looks like the data are missing (we have the code tho). Looking further.. there are bunch of backups to wade through, a friend is helping.

I thought maybe Dragon's Fury II was Wizard Pinball since the theme matches but the code doesn't seem to match..

Maybe Steven has the other half of the puzzle to rebuild a working Dragon's Fury II rom since we appear to have the code maybe he has thedata.

While looking at old receipt I also realized I had purchased those CD from Steven himself...
Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:27 pm
Very minor: the screenshots posted appear to reveal an individual's address (albeit misspelt, but you'd probably have to be from the area to know that) in the source code comments. Might it be desirable to blur that out?
Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 am
Did a bit of digging for Bubsy II.

’A. A. Mack’ is almost certainly Anthony Mack (sometimes goes as Tony Mack), a programmer at Climax Group. Anthony also programmed Chicago Syndicate and Arcade Smash Hits.

I also hit up the lead artist about the game, now we just need to wait on that one.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:09 am
I hope this goes through, I updated that LMW article with a link to this forum post to see if interest in the search for this game sparks up again, good luck with getting the rom Bock.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:55 am
DillyDylan wrote
Did a bit of digging for Bubsy II.

’A. A. Mack’ is almost certainly Anthony Mack (sometimes goes as Tony Mack), a programmer at Climax Group. Anthony also programmed Chicago Syndicate and Arcade Smash Hits.

I also hit up the lead artist about the game, now we just need to wait on that one.

Update. I hit up two of the artists on the projects, both had little to say and actually thought the GG version was released.

On a side note, I’d also like to find a contact for Steve Lamb (coder of Dragon’s Fury II) and hit him up. If anyone has a lead to find him HMU
Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 am
It seems it was common at the time not to be sure if it was released or not. McAlby from Bit Managers was not sure if they released Tintin in Tibet for Master System or not.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!