Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - I will end up banging my head against the walls (eprom help)

Reply to topic
I will end up banging my head against the walls (eprom help)
Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:34 pm
Hi everybody !

I come across this forum a bit by chance, (or not) because it's days and days that I try to program an eprom to read it on my master system but I can not and I bet it must be something stupid ...

I understood quite a lot about the various cartridges 32, 512 ko ect,
that's why I started with something simple, I'll explain myself,
I took the global game cartridge gladiator as a donor,

I solder a support eprom 32 pin to test my chips easily, and I put the original eprom to see if my support and weld well the game works so, then I try to program my eprom (a M27c2001 with a tl866 ll xgecu pro)
so I chose global gladiator as rom to be sure to understand the process of programming,

everything goes well is asser easy to use I have control that the eprom be empty, I set the type of eprom ect ... no error message after starting the program, but the game does not run, I test with rampage, superman, nothing launches this (except alex kidd which is in the console) is what I'll miss a chapter?

I saw that we had to check the rom I put the picture for me nothing wrong with this rom no?

thank you in advance for bringing me a little help because I can not delve more
Capture.PNG (170.25 KB)
Capture.PNG

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 pm
check to see if youre writing it correctly, some systems require the header to be written at a specific offset or it wont load.

http://www.smspower.org/Development/ROMHeader

Make sure that whatever game youre trying out is also compatible with the mapper youre using if the rom is larger than 48k.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 pm
Thank you for your help so I will see the side of your link if I can find my happiness
Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:53 am
Has the donor cart more than a single chip on-board? Because you might have removed the mapper with the ROM chip - it might be integrated.
In that case, you probably can run only 32KB (and 48KB) ROMs with your own ROM chip. 'Proper' donor carts have a separate mapper chip.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:57 am
If the system boots to the built in game then it can't read the ROM header. If it shows SOFTWARE ERROR then it can, but it has failed the header checks (likely the checksum, especially if you have no mapper).
Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:26 pm
ok thank you guys,

I already confirm that I have no error softwar the game of bios launches as if there was no cartridge, as I told you i try to program on my eprom the same game that the original 'global gladiator) to understand the mechanism,

but I did not think to map integrate into the chip, so I will test with another cartridge it seems to me that operation wolf or after burner have this kind of map I do not know if it's possible but I will also try to put a 32ko rom on this pcb see what happens,

but I will probably stay this satan header to understand, I work well but it's still Chinese when you have no idea, but I like to learn and understand, I come back to you after these tests...

thank you again for taking the time to me read and answer me;)
merci
Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 pm
really thank you very much,

I knew it was a stupid thing, you're right to map it works fine now! I would have known I ask you before but I like to understand myself, at least a thousand thank you and congratulations for the job you do on the site .... long live sms power and live sega !!!! ;)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!