Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Help with GG McWill mod (black screen)

Reply to topic
Help with GG McWill mod (black screen)
Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:42 am
Hello everyone, I did a McWill mod on a GG (1 asic). GG has been fully recapped (power board, audio, and the mainboard). I installed a McWill screen as the original screen was cracked (wanted to upgrade anyway)

The result is black screen, nothing happens. The screen turns on but stays black after an initial flash. The led works, the backlight of the screen is on. Anything else that I might have missed (or anything else that might be broken on the gg)?
IMG_9003.JPG (2.12 MB)
front
IMG_9003.JPG
IMG_9004.JPG (2.26 MB)
back
IMG_9004.JPG

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 pm
aresius wrote
Hello everyone, I did a McWill mod on a GG (1 asic). GG has been fully recapped (power board, audio, and the mainboard). I installed a McWill screen as the original screen was cracked (wanted to upgrade anyway)

The result is black screen, nothing happens. The screen turns on but stays black after an initial flash. The led works, the backlight of the screen is on. Anything else that I might have missed (or anything else that might be broken on the gg)?

Hi. It looks like you have wires attached to the contrast potentiometer, but this is not needed unless you are also installing the VGA out part of the mod.

The text from where it says "Solder pin 1 of the thumbwheel to VCC on the GG board" down to the section on buttons can be ignored.

Try removing all the wires to and from the contrast wheel and see how you go.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm
MasterGear78 wrote
aresius wrote

Hi. It looks like you have wires attached to the contrast potentiometer, but this is not needed unless you are also installing the VGA out part of the mod.

The text from where it says "Solder pin 1 of the thumbwheel to VCC on the GG board" down to the section on buttons can be ignored.

Try removing all the wires to and from the contrast wheel and see how you go.

i tried removing that , but in the end was.... the game. I did not have "the usual one", so I had to resort to another game I had purchased recently. Turns out it was corroded on the inside, and gave black screen on any GG.

Thanks!
Thumbwheel
Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:38 am
Where can one buy a contrast potentiometer for the gg? 4 pin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 am
aresius wrote

I've been doing a lot of the mcwill screen installs and I see a few things one is you do not have the csync connected and if you want want the VGA out just correct the menu pad to ground. You can also try sliding the contrast wheel up and down. It might be in VGA mode which turns off the internal LCD. You can see this in the pictures I have here or on my Instagram same user name. But most importantly is that LCD ribbon cable is beyond temperamental. Treat it like it's make of glass and sneezing on it will mess it up.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!