Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Magic Knight Rayearth translation released

Reply to topic
Magic Knight Rayearth translation released
Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 am

For the last few months, I've been collaborating with Filler on a translation patch for the Game Gear Magic Knight Rayearth game, and I'm happy to announce it's out now! Get it here!

If you haven't played it, this game is a simple RPG. Mokona mysteriously runs away, and the nascent Knights must quest across Cephiro to save the day. While it's not on the level of the Saturn game, you might give it a try if you're a fan of the franchise or like RPGs.

This project has quite a history: the original effort dates back to 2004, when Filler started translating the script. There were abortive attempts from 2008-2011 to produce a patch, but the project eventually stalled until I offered to give it a go earlier this year. It turned out to be considerably more involved than I was expecting, given the length of the game (see my long spiel in the readme), but ultimately I think everything came together quite nicely. Hope you like it!

I went to some lengths to avoid cutting dialogue or shortening names, including reformatting most of the menus. The effort probably doesn't show, but hey, it's there.

If anyone's interested in the source code and other project materials, I've put them on GitHub.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am
I suspect the quality of the hacking is appreciated compared to ones where text is ruthlessly trimmed to fit - at least, that's what I assume and would always be my goal.

Also thanks for releasing source, which is still sadly unusual in this area - I'm sure translators will find it much easier with that available.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:58 pm
This looks super well done, congrats and thanks Filler & Supper for your work on it!

I cleared the game once, a while ago in Japanese without understanding most of it. Eager to give it another try!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:00 am
Maxim wrote
I suspect the quality of the hacking is appreciated compared to ones where text is ruthlessly trimmed to fit - at least, that's what I assume and would always be my goal.

Also thanks for releasing source, which is still sadly unusual in this area - I'm sure translators will find it much easier with that available.

I wasn't actually planning to put as much work into it as I did, but I feel really bad cutting text if there's any other option, and one thing led to another. There are still a few compromises, like the item menu during battles, but overall I'm satisfied with it.

And I'm hoping the sources will be useful to someone. I only designed the build system for Unix, though, so Windows developers may have to do some extra work.

Bock wrote
This looks super well done, congrats and thanks Filler & Supper for your work on it!

I cleared the game once, a while ago in Japanese without understanding most of it. Eager to give it another try!

Thanks! Hope you can get a little more out of it now.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:04 am
Great translation thank you. Can you please check why it's not working on the followed SMS conversion?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:24 pm
Hello Supper / Filler

Thankyou for your great translation!!!

If no problem I take to redone hack doing it compatible with this new version
Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:20 pm
Working for now, testing...

Removed wrong tiles, added palette conversion, maybe adding Megadrive/MS Pad detection

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 am
Had fun going through the README, thank you for your really hard work.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:24 am
BcnAbel76 wrote
Working for now, testing...

Removed wrong tiles, added palette conversion, maybe adding Megadrive/MS Pad detection

I've played through this on my SMS. I posted this in the general GG2SMS thread, but I'll post it here too:

There's a full translation of the first Rayearth game for the Game Gear over on Romhacking.net. The GG2SMS works with it after fixing the header. The only issue I've encountered is that items don't show in the shops and things get a bit glitchy. I think the guy who did the translation changed the way items are displayed. I'd have no idea of how to fix this myself.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:17 pm
Hello

Did you played in emulator or in real hardware?

I think so it is an error in translation hack, maybe you can check it loading savestate in Emulicious, swapping Master System savestate to Game Gear then just a moment before issue is loading, if it is bad in GG so, then translation must be fixed.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:51 pm
BcnAbel76 wrote
Hello

Did you played in emulator or in real hardware?

I think so it is an error in translation hack, maybe you can check it loading savestate in Emulicious, swapping Master System savestate to Game Gear then just a moment before issue is loading, if it is bad in GG so, then translation must be fixed.

I use Kega Fusion as my emulator.

This happens both on real SMS hardware and the emulator.

The shops are fine in the Game Gear version tested in the emulator.

When I do as you said with the save states, loading the SMS save state as a Game Gear game, the shop items do not show.

The patched Game Gear rom is just fine. Something happens when the GG2SMS patch is used.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm
Hello, could you send me your savestate to my smspower mail ?
Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 am
BcnAbel76 wrote

This totally skipped my mind. I'll message you the savestate.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 pm
BcnAbel76 wrote

Did you receive the message? Were you able to have a look at it?

I don't know anything about hacking, but I have a theory. The current patch is for the Japanese version of the game and there would not be a problem if the shop text was in the English displayed in the same manner as the Japanese version. Whatever the process for the GG2SMS hack was for the Japanese version, that would probably have to be done from the ground up for this new English translation.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!