Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - ROM hack ideas

Reply to topic
ROM hack ideas
Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm
Hi

I'm new to these forums, and this is my first post

Throughout my life, my 2 most favorite things have been video games and cartoons. But unfortunately, while the 2010s has been an excellent decade for cartoons, it hasn't been so good for video games. Games based on licensed IPs, although their track record isn't the best (there's still a hidden gem here and there), haven't been so common on consoles. Smartphones and tablets have become most peoples' main means of gaming, and these devices have done more bad to gaming than they have good. COUGH COUGH freemium COUGH COUGH

While it's still satisfying that some of my favorite 2010s cartoons have gotten proper console games, including Adventure Time and Gravity Falls, another favorite cartoon of mine from this decade, The Amazing World of Gumball, does not have a console game (unless you count crossover trash Cartoon Network Battle Crashers)

So I have an idea: inspired by the many ROM hacks John Riggs has done for the NES, including a Bob's Burgers hack of BurgerTime, why not hack a game on a classic system and give it a Gumball makeover?

I was thinking the 2 Ren & Stimpy Sega games, Stimpy's Invention on the Genesis and Quest for The Shaven Yak on Game Gear, would be good ones to Gumball-ify!

I understand there are many obstacles, like ensuring the consoles' limits of how many on-screen colors there can be would still need to be abided by, which could make replacing Ren with Gumball difficult. Music and plotlines would have to be changed, it wouldn't make sense to have Gumball slap Darwin, calling him and eeediot, and both games' Happy Happy Joy Joy endings would definitely have to be changed! I was thinking maybe to Nobody's a Nobody from The Compilation episode?

These are only ideas. I'd pursue this myself but I don't have the resources, let alone the ability to load the ROMs onto actual cartridges! (I'd love to sacrifice a copy each of Shaq Fu or Rise of The Robots to do this, though!)

I just thought I'd leave y'all with this idea and see if any of you are interested

have a good one!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!