Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SEGA Master System: a visual compendium, on kickstater now.

Reply to topic
SEGA Master System: a visual compendium, on kickstater now.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 am
The Bitmap books, a book publisher about video games, is going with his new book about our favorite console. Show your love on kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/sega-master-system-a-visual-comp...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 am
Looks good - they're using James Costello's collection for photos, which is nice (same source as much of our scans section), and some of my maps too from the look of it (I'd agree if they asked). They need to spend some quality time with Omar's collection though - it'd be great to have some high quality photos and large format scans of some of that stuff.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:25 am
Nice! Looks like they are doing a great job with it.

They offered to come take pictures but my collection is currently 70% in storage in the rest are packed until we moving home (finger crossed I am finalizing moving in October! In the middle of it). I also suck at answering e-mails in a timely manner.. Could work out something if the timing isn't too narrow. Hope I can help. James collection is great already but would be nice to add photos will stuff like Prototypes, Korean, Taiwanese, TecToy games etc.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm
Looking at it a bit more, I feel like the 200 word reviews are very limiting - I understand they're going for the visual effect, with big colourful screenshots, but whenever I see something similar in a magazine I wish it went further. Then the developer interviews promised seem the polar opposite - lots of lovely hidden detail and back story. In the end, it's nice to have a quality colour print but when over half the page is a single colour, it's a bit excessive. Even stacking two screenshots to a page, with <100 words for each, would be plenty big and coffee table worthy...

Double page spreads start to pay off for maps, of course.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Ooo, I have been waiting for this to happen! Hardback for me.

Thanks for posting about it, Estelios.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 pm
A photographer spent the day at my house a couple of months ago.There was a sort of semi set list of what shots he wanted but I also had a lot of input of what I thought people would be interested in. I had had a conversation with Sam and suggested he should contact Bock due to his collection having everything (I think?) mine had and much much more. I believe at that point he was already aware of this and may have even made contact? I don't think all the images being used are of just my stuff. He mentioned not trying to create an enclycopidia of everything ever made but more a good representation of the System. I too would love to see a book of everything but I think this particular book is aimed at a wider audience. It has been quite exciting being involved in the project and can't wait to see the final result. It has been over 10 years since my collection was in Retro Gamer Magazine and that was a really great thing to see something I have put a lot of time and love into, professionally presented to an audience.

I have backed the kickstarter to get a hardback version with A2 poster and a couple of packs of the art cards.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 pm
Thats very nice, but just 'taking' the maps? Not so much.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:40 am
The maps thing is sorted - they've apologised for the omission and I'm happy to have them used. I don't put stuff on the internet for free to earn fake internet points (although that's nice), I do it so people can enjoy the results.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:28 pm
james costello wrote
He mentioned not trying to create an enclycopidia of everything ever made but more a good representation of the System.

Kinda veering OT but I always think it's sad that video game books are almost always the latter and almost never the former. It would be nice to have more books that actually detail everything as comprehensively and accurately as possible.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:33 pm
5 days to go for the Kickstarter. Latest Project Update:

Sorry for the successive updates but I had to tell you about an amazing interview I had today with Steve Hanawa. Steve basically started working for SEGA in the late 70's when they were just a hardware company. He was then their second employee in the newly formed software division. He talked about the early days of arcades and the various games he worked on such as Turbo. He had loads of great memories of the early days and talked about early hits such as Zaxxon. It was really fascinating stuff!

We then started chatting about the Mark III/Master System in which Steve was involved with designing and was there throughout the whole process. He's then moved to the USA and was also involved in the (not so successful) North American launch.

I'm really excited as I think this interview is going to add so much to the book and I think you'll all love it.

Been a great day. Plus we're only £2,500 from the slipcase!

Sam
Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 pm
Those of us who have backed this book gets regular e-mail updates with the latest news. In project update #17 it says:

Wonder Boy games – These are 100% out of the book due to issue of where the rights stand. I can't say anymore than that and as you can probably tell from my tone, I’m frustrated. The danger for me is that this whole experience is taking the fun out of the project so I need to move on and focus on the rest of the book with a positive frame of mind.

This is a shame. Is there anything you could do here, Bock? I guess you know a thing or two about this issue as you managed to get the rights to the Wonder Boy name for the Dragon's Trap remake ...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:06 pm
tommy1983 wrote
This is a shame. Is there anything you could do here, Bock? I guess you know a thing or two about this issue as you managed to get the rights to the Wonder Boy name for the Dragon's Trap remake ...

Believe me this is currently a painful hard issue and many of us, people involved in the remake, DotEmu, Sega of Europe already tried to fix it. Sam's message came after all of those attempts at pulling all the strings.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!