Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Axe Battler (Increasing visibility area?)

Reply to topic
Axe Battler (Increasing visibility area?)
Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:45 pm
Hello, this is my first post and I was wondering if anyone here knows if it is possible to alter the visibility area of the player within the Game Gear title, Axe Battler.

I have seen this done before with Alien 3 on the NES, and felt that something like could take Axe Battler one step closer to perfection because as it is, the player has to move to close to the right hand side of the screen in order to make it scroll, and that doesn't always give the player enough time to respond when an enemy appears upon the screen.

In comparison, you can see how Link is centered in his screen where as Axe Battler is off to the right. Generally Sega was good about improving upon Ni****do's formulas, but I see this as a glaring flaw.
Zelda II.jpg (69.51 KB)
Zelda II.jpg
aXE bATTLER.jpeg (17.86 KB)
aXE bATTLER.jpeg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:17 pm
It's possible but very difficult. You need to modify the game engine to change its "camera following" model to have different thresholds. Games which slavishly follow the player (so the sprite stays in the middle) scroll too much and look cheap. Making the camera move when you get some distance from the centre is less tiring to watch. Some games on small screens even do the opposite and make the camera track some distance in front of the player. In the end, though, the level design needs to match the camera model. Changing one without the other could ruin the game.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!