Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega System E

Reply to topic
Sega System E
Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 am
I have written some documentation for the SMS-derived Sega System E arcade board:

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/txt/setech.txt

For SMS developers what makes this system fun is: 5.36 MHz Z80, memory mapped VRAM (write-only), two VDPs with 32K of VRAM each (banked).

There seem to be no good games for this system other than Fantasy Zone 2. :)
Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:21 pm
really great document !
starting to read it, i'm trying to add support of system e on sega saturn using, charlesm super fast sms video emulation for saturn !
Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 pm
i'm stucked on displaying sprites, think sprites of vdp1 are displayed but not sprites of vdp2, could someone help ?

during set register i do that :

case 0x05: /* Sprite Attribute Table Base Address */
if(segae_vdp_vrambank[chip])
satb[chip] = ((segae_vdp_regs[chip][regnumber] << 7) + (segae_vdp_vrambank[chip] * 0x4000)) & 0x7F00;
else
satb[chip] = (segae_vdp_regs[chip][regnumber] << 7) & 0x3F00;

bikes are not displayed, i get only trees, some road signs and puddles on road.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 pm
just a technical question, somebody here would know why opa opa displays black screen on old mame video driver for system e whereas every other games work normally (it's not because of mc8123 protection) ? in other words what uses opa opa that so special from the vdp chip ?
Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 pm
my humble experiences for Sega E are still not that relevantly different from what i have made for Master System - http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZX_BASIC:Released_Programs_-_SegaE - i actually never saw the real hardware in my front... - i don‘t know how that can be helpful
Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm
vbt wrote
just a technical question, somebody here would know why opa opa displays black screen on old mame video driver for system e whereas every other games work normally (it's not because of mc8123 protection) ? in other words what uses opa opa that so special from the vdp chip ?

I believe it is something to do with hints, did you notice that opaopa's titlescreen displays a line-scroll technique on the logo, on a working mame? The technique is very similar to how hangonjr curves the road.
The problem I have with your code and old mame is that it sets the hint counter to 0xc8, but in reality it needs a hint on every line.
Things to check, are you 100% sure the video mode for this game is 192 lines visible? (I'm not, we need to check registers)
also need to research mame's src/devices/video/315_5124.* to see how they are handling things.

bye for now,
- dink
Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm
The original URL seems to be dead, but it's still hosted on Archive, for those that were looking around for it.

Mostly checked it out of curiosity myself!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!