Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMSReader - Single-Sided PCB design

Reply to topic
SMSReader - Single-Sided PCB design
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 am
I built an SMSReader years ago for testing a custom cartridge.

I designed a PCB for it at that time, but never released the files as it did not work properly. Since then, I discovered that I had missed out a connection to the cartridge slot connector, the addition of which solved all the problems I'd been having.

Later on, I have recently edited the PCB files to include the missing connection, and moved the parallel port connector (which was too far from the edge of the board). This also allows space for either a SIP resistor array, or standard resistors on the data lines, depending on whichever you want to use.

The PCB is single-sided with some wire links (use insulated wire as some are close together!) so it is easy to make at home. There is provision for 9 mounting holes also. I bolted mine to a piece of 3mm perspex, which gives it good rigidity and ensures the solder side is mostly protected from accidental short-circuits.

The PCB has space for 4 diodes, thus an AC or any polarity DC power supply can be used. Mounting a heatsink to the regulator is also possible.

Bear in mind, the 7805 regulator can only handle up to 25v DC (16v if you're using an AC adapter), and you likely WILL need the heatsink if you go this high.

The game cartridge faces the front when inserted (the connector is NOT keyed, so take care not to put it backwards!)

The files include both a standard and inverted SVG file, or you can re-plot in any format you like by downloading and opening the project in KiCad (free EDA software).

Another other information about the SMSReader would likely be found at: http://www.smspower.org/Development/SMSReader
Credit for the SMSReader design itself goes to Mike. G.
SMS READER WIRELINKS.png (53.53 KB)
Wire links shown in red
SMS READER WIRELINKS.png
SMSREADER PCB.zip (1.45 MB)
PCB files and SVG output designed in KiCad

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am
Unfortunately it's hard to find a parallel port in 2018... We need an update that talks USB via a microcontroller.
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 pm
They may not be a standard feature as often now, but you can easily buy PCI and PCI-E parallel (and serial) cards for modern computers. The interfaces are still widespread in industrial use and I suspect parallel/serial cards will be around for some time to come.
Besides, would it be wrong to assume that people with interest for retro gaming will not have at least one old machine with a parallel port lying around? ;)

However, I do agree the design could do with an update. I don't like the way there is always power applied to the cartridge slot. I think there should be a way to disable the slot (disconnect power and tri-state the address/data lines?) for swapping cartridges.

I think this, and USB, would be fairly easy to implement, (and maybe even avoid SMT parts if one uses a software USB stack), but it may be up to someone else to write any decent software/firmware for it...
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 pm
Hello

There are USB to LPT adapters so

Thanks for sharing your SMSReader ;)
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:26 pm
BcnAbel76 wrote
Hello

There are USB to LPT adapters so

Thanks for sharing your SMSReader ;)

Thanks but the design is not mine, I only did this PCB layout.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!