Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear dev hardware - Scart output via. Krisalis Gear Decoder

Reply to topic
Game Gear dev hardware - Scart output via. Krisalis Gear Decoder
Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:35 am
A few years ago I posted about and got the Rom dumped for a nice bit of Sega Dev hardware - a Krisalis Dev box. http://www.smspower.org/forums/15019-KrisalisSoftwareSMSGGDevBox#82986

The same source (ex-Virgin Interactive skip/dumpster) recently found another box of long stored goodies that contained another dev unit that also uses at its heart a Krisalis "Gear Decoder board". This one just appears to provide a Scart RGB output method for testing / demo purposes.

Not pretty but still neat to see early ingenuity.
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working so I can't provide a demo of it running at this stage.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:21 am
wow, that is incredibly cool. I can't believe someone reverse engineered it so long ago! They must've seen the official Sega board.

I've been following this mod since Xavier's thread here way back in 2007. I've built a number of them by hand and I provided some early schematics as well.

Shoot me a message if you want to work something out for me to repair this. It would be a neat project and a worthy museum piece.

-Segasonicfan
Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:15 pm
Some good news, it lives!
Yesterday I managed to fix the unit and can confirm it works.

A couple of simple issues, a broken power wire (the "box" is powered (9V) via. a connection directly to the PSU plug inside the GG) and there was a wire broken off at the pin in the Scart connector.

Attached are a photo of the terminations inside the GG and some quick screenshots of it running. The version of Dragon shown is running off a 171-5986B Dev board.

The pot on the "box" alters the colour output and needs to be tweaked to bring them as close as possible to the right pallet.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 am
The board looks really close to Xavier's schematic from over 10 years ago too. Nostalgic stuff.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!