6 38% 38%
7 23% 23%
8 0% 0%
9 (Excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2018] Duckslayer Adventures by haroldoop
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:16 am
This game is called "Duckslayer Adventures".

It is a tribute to an Atari 2600 game named 'Adventure'.
In it, you control the intrepid Knight of the Square Table, Sir Jelly, the gelatinous cube.
His mission is to retrieve the Holy Chalice of Yendor that's stored inside the black castle, guarded by two fearsome Duck Dragons,

http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/DuckslayerAdventures-SMS

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm
Ummm...

What happens when you get the cálice?
I passed though the game, even the made and I have got It!

I think is way interesting the crudity of the presentación and the "4 bits" appearance. May a large Game, with a complex story, would be wonderful!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:32 pm
eruiz00 wrote
Ummm...

What happens when you get the cálice?
I passed though the game, even the made and I have got It!

Oh, I forgot to mention that it has to be brought back to the yellow castle. :P

eruiz00 wrote
I think is way interesting the crudity of the presentación and the "4 bits" appearance. May a large Game, with a complex story, would be wonderful!

To be sincere, the graphics are mostly a placeholder until I'm able to make better ones, but I can't deny they can have a certain charm. ;)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:49 am
Even though I did never own an Atari2600, I have come to grow quite fond of the old games for that system. I completed your game - I brought the golden cup back to the main castle/entrance. But I did not need the keys? *Spoiler alert* The part with the dragons chasing after the player - across screens - is a surprising and very nice gameplay mechanic, and it instantly reminded me of when I played Resident Evil 2 on the Playstation, and a big guy started chasing me around, until I had to turn of the game and never come back to it. Duckslayer is a little less stressful, but that is good! :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:06 pm
I kind of like those placeholder graphics. They seem like a sensible update of the blocky original, while keeping much of their charm. The dragon could look a lot more duck-like, though. ;)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 pm
hang-on wrote
Even though I did never own an Atari2600, I have come to grow quite fond of the old games for that system. I completed your game - I brought the golden cup back to the main castle/entrance. But I did not need the keys?

Ah, yes, I couldn't implement the castle gates in time... XD

That sorta makes the game easier than it should be; maybe I will get around to implement the feature, eventually.

hang-on wrote
*Spoiler alert* The part with the dragons chasing after the player - across screens - is a surprising and very nice gameplay mechanic, and it instantly reminded me of when I played Resident Evil 2 on the Playstation, and a big guy started chasing me around, until I had to turn of the game and never come back to it. Duckslayer is a little less stressful, but that is good! :)

The implementation is actually easier than it sounds: the dragons are always moving; if they find something interesting on the screen they are (basically, they have same priority lists as in the A2600 game), they go towards said object; if there's nothing interesting on the screen, they keep going in the direction they were last moving; sometimes, ramdomly, they may choose to change direction too. Of course, the dragons consider the player to be a specially interesting object (they love acidic jelly). ;)

Kagesan wrote
I kind of like those placeholder graphics. They seem like a sensible update of the blocky original, while keeping much of their charm. The dragon could look a lot more duck-like, though. ;)

Thanks; I intended to add duck bills to the dragon graphics to make them more duck-like, but haven't got around to that, yet. :P
Nice entry
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 pm
Nice entry haroldoop and great that you included the source code - this has shown maybe a better way to include text files as content than the method I used for "Simpsons Trivia" so thanks for that :)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:38 pm
SteveProXNA wrote
Nice entry haroldoop and great that you included the source code - this has shown maybe a better way to include text files as content than the method I used for "Simpsons Trivia" so thanks for that :)

Glad to be of service! ;)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:12 pm
Version 0.5.0 is now available; the castle gates now work as they should! ;)

BTW: There's now a git repository for it.
Duckslayer Adventures 0.5.0.zip (8.8 KB)
Duckslayer Adventures 0.5.0
Duckslayer Adventures 0.5.0-src.zip (53.59 KB)
Source code for version 0.5.0

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:54 pm
Here's version 0.6.0, now with something that someone in good mood could call sound effects! ;)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 pm
haroldoop wrote
To be sincere, the graphics are mostly a placeholder until I'm able to make better ones, but I can't deny they can have a certain charm. ;)

It's great to see a remake of Adventure on the SMS.
Have you seen "Quest for the Golden Chalice," a homebrew remake/expansion of Adventure for the Colecovision? If you would like some more inspiration for graphics and/or gameplay additions, that could be a good game to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXwu5P_7ng
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233102-team-pixelboy-news-bulletin-december-25th-2014/
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:43 pm
Kevinmos3 wrote

It's great to see a remake of Adventure on the SMS.
Have you seen "Quest for the Golden Chalice," a homebrew remake/expansion of Adventure for the Colecovision? If you would like some more inspiration for graphics and/or gameplay additions, that could be a good game to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXwu5P_7ng
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233102-team-pixelboy-news-bulletin-december-25th-2014/

That game looks pretty amazing! ;)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am
I was going to post my comment on it... but I just realized I tested an old version :|
OK, will test newer version soon :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:41 am
OK - done. I tested 0.6.0 - well, I believe it's still quite incomplete, right?
I did the whole adventure with no difficulty at all, but I didn't get how to use the sword BTW.
Also, the game characters sometimes appear half on the right side of the screen and half on the left side of it.
But I think it can anyway evolve in a nice game :)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 am
sverx wrote
OK - done. I tested 0.6.0 - well, I believe it's still quite incomplete, right?
I did the whole adventure with no difficulty at all, but I didn't get how to use the sword BTW.
Also, the game characters sometimes appear half on the right side of the screen and half on the left side of it.
But I think it can anyway evolve in a nice game :)

Thanks; yes, the game is pretty much incomplete as it stands now:
- The duck dragons need some plastic surgery to look more duck-like;
- The "Drake Bane" sword is currently harmless, and may need some sharpening;
- Gotta have some improvements on sprite clipping, in order to prevent the dragon sprites from wrapping around the edges;
- The bg graphics are currently mostly placeholders;
- Only 'game 1' is implemented and, even then, the bridge and the magnet are missing;
- The red dragon had been implemented at a previous, unreleased, revision, but it took a sick leave since then;
- "game 2" and "game 3" are not implemented;
- The bat is missing, too;
- The game is missing a title screen, a victory screen a defeat screen and maybe a SF2-parody continue screen;
- Perhaps, taking a hint from "Quest for the Golden Chalice", the bridge could be replaced by an "Aperture Wizards Inc. Portal Wand". :P
Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 am
I remember adventure from when i was a kid. Where did they come up with the idea of duck dragons haha, so random. Nice project for the competition!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!