Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear to Master System hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm
Revo wrote
Nice, but garbage screen appear up screen on real hardware only after few moment playing.

What do you mean exactly? I also tried it on real hardware and the only major issue I find after a few moments of playing is this pitch of black which always appears in the very beginning of the levels, a side effect of having the background graphics corrected without broken tiles in the scenario edges/boundaries I suppose, and it's actually cleared just as you move forward.

Aside from that, the levels go fine. Other graphic issues I have found in certain other moments of the game are these:

-The Round Start, Round Clear, Game Over, Ending and Credits screens are off centered, and in some cases this causes text overlapping (notably in the Game Over screen)
-When the intro appears after coming from either a Game Over or completing the game (that is, not after boot), the black background of the lettered part of the intro becomes garbled.
-And this is perhaps the worst one: the final showdown with Mr.X features some similar off centering problems which distort most of the graphics in that particular area. Notably the door is misplaced, but also Mr. X is off centered when he is still in the background while the arm he uses to summon enemies is still centered and therefore appears as some sort of "flying object".

And that's it. The rest of the game is pretty much perfect and the extended background graphics without broken tiles in the edges/boundaries are a huge improvement to the game flow, avoiding any possible misconception in that regard.

There's also a funny side effect with enemies going out of the scenery through one of its edges and then coming back from the opposite one. I suppose this is a side effect after manipulating/extending the movement fields in the scenario boundaries. Nothing severe, it's even funny in some sort of way.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm
Hello

Edited post and updated STREETS OF RAGE 2 to v0.71

http://www.smspower.org/forums/14742-GameGearToMasterSystemHacks?start=850#10079...
Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:46 pm
Thanks mate!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 pm
Hello people!!!

2 new videos about progress in Fatal Fury Special V1.2 with 2 players mode actives

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 pm
SNK is coming ...

Improved some colors and code. Near final release.
FATAL FURY 08.png (4.58 KB)
FATAL FURY 08.png

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 pm
Searching more 2 players games.

Now it is time to Berlin no Kabe - The BerlinWall V1.2

.be

Great!
GG Shinobi 2
Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 am
Hi BcnAbel76. Thanks for all the cool GG2SMS-hacks. Have been enjoying many a lot.

I was wondering if you had any plans to upgrade GG Shinobi 2 with a more smooth pause-button function. The settings you used on the first GG Shinobi worked great and made it very playable on original SMS, but the down-button on controller 2 makes the second game very tricky.

Keep up the good work.
best wishes /Sid, Sweden
Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:45 pm
Well done with the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers games, BcnAbel76.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATp41xrDtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYkPD9szC8

Those are going to be great additions to the Master System 2 players game library indeed.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:42 pm
Eyh Wesker!!! Thankyou for posting ;)

6581, I'll do it when possible. ;)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 am
@BcnAbel76 The GG Aleste posted in the GG2SMS database is v1.02, but should be v1.03 http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GGAleste-GG-GG2SMS
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm
Micro Machines 2 - Turbo Tournament v0.8

* Update palette conversion
* Disable down blank lines
* Linked Games for the 2 Players in Head to Head
* Results some garbage screen

Revo
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:21 pm
Automachines wrote
Micro Machines 2 - Turbo Tournament v0.8

* Update palette conversion
* Disable down blank lines
* Linked Games for the 2 Players in Head to Head
* Results some garbage screen

Fake.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm
Revo wrote
Fake.

What's "fake" about it ? It's glitchy but it works here.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm
My bad, I was thinking it was the same version than the one before.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 pm
smokemonster wrote
@BcnAbel76 The GG Aleste posted in the GG2SMS database is v1.02, but should be v1.03 http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GGAleste-GG-GG2SMS

Hello, but sorry I don't edit hack page, I posted in this topic all my hacks
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 pm
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Movie v0.61 GG2SMS

Changelog:

- Added Substage "2" in EXTRA OPTIONS, you need to press "Left" to switch 1-2, it is adding 6 stages for playing in VS
- Left Column Blank now is always active, (some intros was disabling it in 0.6 and lower version)
- Best ! Garbabe in game play is off !!! Borders now are blanked and no corrupted tiles appears

Conversion by BcnAbel76

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:03 pm
Just a reminder - I was keeping the GG2SMS database on this site up-to-date for a few years, but completely ran out of time to do it around mid-2017.

I updated the first post of this thread with detailed instructions and made a video showing how to keep the database current. Developers like Revo and BcnAbel76 who post a ton of their own patches should take the time to archive their work in the proper place and add them to the database. Maybe other members can help when other people post patches too?

I'll try to see if I have time to help in the future, but it's unlikely.
Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:45 pm
Could someone please port GG Zoop to SMS?
Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:51 am
RetroRGB wrote
Just a reminder - I was keeping the GG2SMS database on this site up-to-date for a few years, but completely ran out of time to do it around mid-2017.

I updated the first post of this thread with detailed instructions and made a video showing how to keep the database current. Developers like Revo and BcnAbel76 who post a ton of their own patches should take the time to archive their work in the proper place and add them to the database. Maybe other members can help when other people post patches too?

I'll try to see if I have time to help in the future, but it's unlikely.

Agreed, this really needs to be kept up to date, specially now that SmokeMonster is no longer releasing his prepackaged ROM packs.
Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 pm
BcnAbel76, thanks for your amazing work! I'm just curious why you chose to hack the Game Gear Streets of Rage games instead of using the SMS ports.

Is the 2-player code completely missing from the official SMS ports? I would have guessed that the code is still there, but the option to enable 2-players has just been removed from the menus. I wouldn't expect the ports to be more sophisticated than that.

The SMS ports wouldn't suffer from the screen issues.
Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:49 pm
Hello people!

I am a bit busy this days, when possible learning update page, I'll do most important hacks first.

Hi Neo-Alec, I choose hacking Game Gear Streets of Rage because both are 2 Players Cooperative, code is hidden in Gear to Gear cable and it was bypassing and write all code for 2Player control pad.

But Master System Streets of Rage regrettaby are only 1 Player Only
I loaded it to see if any info is matching with enemy controls, etc, but I saw sorry only 1 Player

Really I am sure Master System can read Megadrive Multipad and use it for make new games supporting 4 Players game (I think it would be nice to implement in devkitSMS)

But you can enjoy now playing Game Gear Version on TV with a friend, yes they are not perfect but really funny for me and more people now.

;)
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 am
Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge GG2SMS

Fixing Black Screen in Hero Selection.

What do you think it is ok for patch it?????

"A"

"B"
Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am
I like option A better ;)

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 am
"A" would be ideal, but the issue is that some text can't be properly read within Cyclops and Storm descriptions because of the white parts in their portraits.

It's a pity, but due to consistency (and that's especially important in a game which essentially seem like a retail Master System game now), I think the best choice would be "B".
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 am
BcnAbel76 wrote
Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge GG2SMS

"A"

I like "A" better myself.

In my opinion, in comparison, 'B' feels empty without a background.
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:18 pm
"B" looks more professional.
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:04 pm
"B" looks better. "A" it's too hard to read.
Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm
Thank you BcnAbel76. I really appreciate the effort.
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm
Hello people!

I much appreciate your comments.

I think "A" is the best option, but unafortunately palette is not shadowing main character, and letters are mixing with white character colors.

Then "B" is for me more clear, you can see character, then can read or select another hero.

I found bad written to palette in stage 2, maybe more stages uses it, with spiderman when ray flash background, it was corrected to Master System round palette.

OFFTOPIC:

I really surprised with this underrated game, I found 16 stages, colorful, well controls. It is hard game, maybe for this reason in past it was davalued by videogame critical.

I compared with megadrive or supernintendo versions and I must say this Game Gear version and now Master System Conversion is impresive.

It is all my personal opinion ;)
Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:50 pm
Could never finish a single level beyond the Spiderman intro.
It is sure a long enough game they should've put a password function into it.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:15 am
Hello.

There's an issue happening in the GG2SMS conversion of Gunstar Heroes which was done by sdsnatcher and it's almost flawless except for this problem.

In the flying battleship level (where you face Captain Orange), when you get to the battleship after doing the climbing, there's a difference in the GG2SMS conversion compared to the Game Gear game which may lead the game into a fatal glitch/lockup.

In the Game Gear version, just as you arrive the battleship, you have to face this miniboss, a regular enemy with a large health (these are scattered through the game, in the Mega Drive version they used another sprite but here they look just like a regular enemy) and the game locks the scroll so you can't move any further until you defeat him. No other enemies come in during the fight.

In the GG2SMS conversion, however, scroll is completely open and you can move forward even if you don't defeat the miniboss. Also, enemies come in from the very first moment (even if you don't scroll). Not only this makes defeating the miniboss much harder because of the respawning enemies pestering you, but it also makes the game lockup with this fatal error message if you scroll/move forward several steps without defeating the miniboss.

I guess this comes as a result of an overflow of enemies not expected by the game design and causing it to crash. It seems likely to be that. It could be solved by locking the scroll like it was in the Game Gear version and forcing you to defeat the miniboss before you can go any further and the rest of respawning enemies come in.

You can also avoid/prevent this to happen if you defeat the miniboss before you move on, but it's especially difficult to do it given that enemies are respawning while you fight the miniboss unlike the Game Gear version.
Rayearth English Translation
Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:13 am
There's a full translation of the first Rayearth game for the Game Gear over on Romhacking.net. The GG2SMS works with it after fixing the header. The only issue I've encountered is that items don't show in the shops and things get a bit glitchy. I think the guy who did the translation changed the way items are displayed. I'd have no idea of how to fix this myself.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 pm
I tried your savestate in my rom and there is not any problem, may you patched error or double patched.

If you want I can send you my rom in private or try to patch once again gg rom.

I remember it includes translation patch
Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 pm
MOLDORIAN The Sisters of Light and Darkness GG2SMS V1.0

ENGLISH TRANSLATION CREDITS GO:

TheMajinZenki -- Translation
Supper -- Hacking
cccmar -- Editing and testing
Xanathis -- Testing and editing
Filler -- Original script dump

MASTER SYSTEM CONVERSION

- New palette routine written on the fly, RGB stored data in 3 bytes is extremely strange
- Adjusting some colors manually
- No megadrive pad support for now, gameplay is basically using 1 or 2 button
- Deleted garbage in SEGA logo
- Some minor garbage during gameplay, not full master system resolution is designed for game. but very playable
- SRAM required

Conversion by BcnAbel76

REMEMBER!!!!!!
Only patch GAME GEAR Japanese ROM with this IPS Patch!!!!!!! Then rename extension ".GG" to ".SMS", it is all

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:49 pm
Edited post including IPS patch.

Enjoy
Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:48 am
As usual, you are the fucking master.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:21 am
Merry Crisis.

Today Filler present a translation patch for Crayon Shin-chan Showdown! Quantum Panic!! Here: http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/#crayonshinchangg

The patch seems to work fine with the GG2SMS patch ;)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:51 pm
nice, thanks!!!
Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:39 pm
Only just discovered the wonder of GGtoSMS hacks so just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all patch authors.
For me, this is THE way to play Game Gear games. I've never jived with emulators due not hooking up to a CRT. And the Game Gear screen is notoriously difficult to play these days. So it's great to play these games on original hardware (kinda) on a original pad in my retro game room on a CRT.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm
Any chance of Panzer Dragoon Mini or the Game Gear version of G-Loc being hacked/converted ?
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 pm
Hello Sut

I attempted to convert Panzer Dragon Mini in past, but now I know it is storing palette data in 3 bytes as Moldorian and Double Dragon GG, and I programmed new routine for this strange method.

I think GLoc GG may not take more problems to convert it
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 am
Thank you for yoyour reply. I thought there must be something quirky regarding Game Gear exclusives for them not to be released yet.
Again thank you for your hard work and commitment to bringing Game Gear games to console.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 pm
Magic Knight Rayearth V1.1 ENGLISH GG2SMS

I "re-upload" my V1.1 conversion about this game, unknown deleted in past. (Thanks Wesker)

Translation Credits goes to:

- Supper (Hacking)
- filler (Translation)

GG2SMS

- Removed wrong tiles
- "Down" arrow is "START"
- Compatible version with fan translation

(DO NOT DOUBLE PATCH ROM!!!, included English, patch original GG Rom )

Conversion by BcnAbel76

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:09 pm
Thank you.

The patch isn't on the main GGtoSMS hack page though ?

Is that page not generally upto date ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm
It is not kept up to date automatically, we need people to help maintain it.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:14 pm
Sorry if I've missed it (I'm new here) but has anyone made a patch for Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible?
It recently received an english translation patch.
I can't post a link but it's on romhacking net
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:50 pm
There seems to be a GG2SMS done for the Special version, which was fantranslated long ago, but not the regular one which is the one receiving a fantranslation now. Not sure which are the differences between the two versions.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:18 pm
Wow, great work! I cant wait to play these on the SMS!!!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:21 pm
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2, your nick seems spam my private account.

It is possible your news GG2SMS are all FAKES.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:29 pm
I've deleted him.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!