SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd in Miracle World started as a Dragon Ball game

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Alex Kidd in Miracle World started as a Dragon Ball game
Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 pm
Various bits of information are coming online from a new book called "Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Volume 3". Here's a quote from Kotaro Hayashida, designer of Alex Kidd in Miracle World:

Sega were planning on making a Dragon Ball game... I guess this happened long enough ago that it's okay for me to talk about this! The project began as a Dragon Ball title, not as a direct competitor to Super Mario Bros.
But when we were told we could not use the Dragon Ball licence any more, we were forced to come up with our own ideas instead. For example, when it was Dragon Ball, Goku fought with his Power Pole, but we changed that to a punch attack. It was only after we came up with the plan to restart the project as Alex Kidd in Miracle World that we starting thinking about Mario, and looking for ways in which to differentiate the title from it.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:39 pm
Very interesting.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:48 pm
we usually considered "Cloud Master" the unnoficial SMS DragonBall game...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:14 pm
Here's an article about that
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/alex_kidd_in_miracle_world_was_supposed...

And interestingly this video (in French) makes some fair comparisons between Alex Kidd and early Dragon Ball:
Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 pm
I've got the first two volumes of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers and I highly recommend them. I'm very excited that the third and final volume is now out. They're an idiosyncratic work; the author editorializes from time to time and you might not necessarily agree with his views. The layout is a bit dense and cluttered. But it's fascinating to read and I think it's a very important work that was undertaken at a critical time, as many of these developers are getting up in years and sadly some have already passed away.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:48 pm
This is a nice info. It's sounds like when Capcom started the production of the first Megaman as an Astro Boy game, but lose the rights in early stages of the game's conceptions.

Now, let's see how much time will take to someone creates an Alex Kidd ROM hack to turn it into a Dragon Ball game. XD
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!