Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Project Treasure SMS

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
Project Treasure SMS
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm
Hello hello, i'm Orlan J Rod. Might know me from N-Pong homebrew i did.

So i thought i should do a dev log of the Sega Master System version of Project Treasure i'm making alongside the web/mobile version. The game is 1 player, and is adventure genre. I'm hoping to make it a 512 kilobyte game.

I forgot mostly everything i learned from my previous project, so this blog is mostly going to be me relearning devkitSMS and sharing progress. 8P

Anywho, here is day one mockup test of a character sprite, with no bg tiles yet. I was figuring out how to set up my programming environment again, because i deleted context. Seeing if i can set up Code Blocks to execute the batch file. Right now i'm manually executing it. Great thing is that i'm now using assests2banks.

For the next post i'll see if i can get it animating with button presses.
Thanks for reading! 8)

PS: I forgot if it's allowed to post image links on here, so i'll just attach the screenshot here.
progress1.png (15.74 KB)
Dev One Screenshot
progress1.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm
Attachments are preferred, image links stop working after a while. I suspect devkitSMS has changed a lot since last time so it's good to relearn anyway.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 pm
well, not changed so much anyway
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm
Great idea. I'm looking forward to your development blog, I love reading stuff like that. In fact, I did consider writing one myself time and again, but apparently I tend to think of it only when I'm already quite far into a project, when it wouldn't really make sense to start.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 pm
New Update.

I finally figured out how to update the screen, after hours of fail. Woot.
This just shows me pressing the directions, as it updates the sprite's tiles.

Now onto doing a proper animation of the character. I'm also going to start uploading concept art too for people who like that.

PS: I underestimated the amount of tiles. I was way under the limit lol. More free space for more sprites and tiles! 8P
test.gif (135.29 KB)
test.gif

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 pm
Kagesan wrote
Great idea. I'm looking forward to your development blog, I love reading stuff like that. In fact, I did consider writing one myself time and again, but apparently I tend to think of it only when I'm already quite far into a project, when it wouldn't really make sense to start.

Yeah, i figured i better do it now before i forget and be too far into making the game. But you should do one anyways, for what's left to do and show art etc. Looking forward to seeing your project.! 8)
Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 pm
So, i been attempting to load a map and it's not looking great. Doing something wrong but not sure what it is. If i set sprite_index var to 0, i display the sprite correctly, but get this background issue. If i set it at 256, i get the tilemap to show, but the sprite uses tilemap tiles. I set the sprite to use the firsthalf in memory.
sprite0.jpg (1.92 MB)
sprite0.jpg
sprite256.jpg (2.19 MB)
sprite256.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:46 am
Update on the problem. I am now displaying the map correctly. Turns out i just needed to change a variable to the width of the map. 8P

Still a problem where i have the sprite placed. It's all messed up like the previous image i shown.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 am
Looks like you are using first half of vram for sprites. Look for the following line and delete it.

SMS_useFirstHalfTilesforSprites(true);

if you can't find it add this line

SMS_useFirstHalfTilesforSprites(false);
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:45 am
psidum wrote
Looks like you are using first half of vram for sprites. Look for the following line and delete it.

SMS_useFirstHalfTilesforSprites(true);

if you can't find it add this line

SMS_useFirstHalfTilesforSprites(false);

Yeah, i wanted to use the first half, i just didn't know what i was doing until i just poked around with the value. Turns out i just needed to place it under 255. I was confused, because i was looking the tile viewer and thought putting it at 256, outside that divide would be the first half of it. Turns out the pink area was first half. Thanks though! Lol
ezgif.com-crop.gif (2.43 MB)
ezgif.com-crop.gif

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:49 am
I think is important (for silvervalley was) to think about where do you want tiles and sprites (first half or second). As you have fewer tiles on second half, if you have letters and numbers, may be constrained the number of tiles for tilemaps.

In other side, the numbers of sprites Will constrains you for sure, if you plan Sprite animations (four or eight way animations!)
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 am
OK, I see that I need to clarify how tiles works for background / sprites, so I made an image which I hope will help.

So, SEGA Master System / Game Gear VRAM memory is 16KB, thus it could theoretically contains 512 tiles, each one it's a square block of 8x8 pixel, 16 colors.

But we also need to fit both the tilemap (a.k.a. Pattern Name Table - PNT) and the sprite attribute table (SAT) in there, so devkitSMS accomodates them at the end of VRAM. These two tables 'eat' some tiles, of course.

Watch the image: tiles 0-447 are available, tiles 448-503 (blue color) aren't, as they are allocated to PNT, just like tiles 504-511 (green color), which are used by the SAT... yes, there's actually a hole in there, so tiles 506-507 are available.

- The background can use any tile in VRAM.

- Sprites can only use either the tiles above OR below the red line. Also, from sprites point of view, tiles from 256 on are numbered from 0 so if you load your sprite's tile at 259, that's actually tile 3 (but don't worry, using 259 in your functions call is completely fine as it's just the same that placing 3 in there)

devkitSMS default is to use the tiles below the red line for sprites (thus the system uses tiles 256-447), but you can change that using
SMS_useFirstHalfTilesforSprites(true)

which you need to do only if you need more tiles for your sprites.

edit: under certain conditions, a few more tiles can be made available (reclaiming them from the PNT and/or the SAT) but that's beyond the scope of this post.
devkitSMS VRAM tiles layout.png (27.16 KB)
devkitSMS VRAM tiles layout
devkitSMS VRAM tiles layout.png

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm
Okay so, today i am attempting to tackle scrolling. So far, i got this code going.

void scrollBG(char dir){

unsigned char y;
   const unsigned int *p;

/*Right*/
   if (dir == 1){

SMS_waitForVBlank();

if ((scrollVal % 8)==0) {

p=&cottagemap__tilemap__bin[(scrollVal/8)+31];
            for (y=0;y<12;y++) {
                SMS_setNextTileatXY(scrollVal/8,y);
                SMS_setTile(*p);
                p+=96;
            }

}

scrollVal++;
      SMS_setBGScrollX(-(scrollVal));

}

}

void controlHandler (void){

unsigned int ks = SMS_getKeysStatus();

if (ks & PORT_A_KEY_RIGHT) {

charanims[0] = 2;
    updateSprite = 1;
   scrollBG(1);

}

}

It's updating the first column in the blank, but it's not correctly updating the column with the right tiles.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm
Last edited by Orlan Rod on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
So i got it to fill the entire screen now, by changing y in the loop to 24 and changed +31 to +32.

void scrollBG(char dir){

unsigned char y;
   const unsigned int *p;

/*Right*/
   if (dir == 1){

SMS_waitForVBlank();

if ((scrollVal % 8)==0) {

p=&cottagemap__tilemap__bin[(scrollVal/8)+32];
            for (y=0;y<24;y++) {
                SMS_setNextTileatXY(scrollVal/8,y);
                SMS_setTile(*p);
                p+=96;
            }

}

scrollVal++;
      SMS_setBGScrollX(-(scrollVal));

}

}

void controlHandler (void){

unsigned int ks = SMS_getKeysStatus();

if (ks & PORT_A_KEY_RIGHT) {

charanims[0] = 2;
    updateSprite = 1;
   scrollBG(1);

}

}

It started to work by placing correct tiles for about 32 tiles to the right, before it gets scewy.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:43 pm
I think i got it working. What i did was times 32 by another variable that increases +1 every 255 value of scrollVal variable.

p=&cottagemap__tilemap__bin[(scrollVal/8)+32*nextThing];
[/code]

I think the gif is too big for the attachment, so i uploaded it on a site. The black bar at the end is just reaching the end of the map, as i haven't added a var to stop it yet.

http://gph.is/2A9yIPr
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 pm
probably scrollVal is an unsigned char, thus wrapping at 256

if your map is wider, switch scrollVal to unsigned int so that it doesn't wrap
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:35 pm
Last edited by Orlan Rod on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
sverx wrote
probably scrollVal is an unsigned char, thus wrapping at 256

if your map is wider, switch scrollVal to unsigned int so that it doesn't wrap

I did that, and got this problem. Looks like every other row it skips.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:51 am
Deep optimizaciones could be done at this respect. Avoid divs, and think about the waitforvblank, which should be called only one time for frame, if you want to have a good framerate...
Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:46 pm
eruiz00 wrote
Deep optimizaciones could be done at this respect. Avoid divs, and think about the waitforvblank, which should be called only one time for frame, if you want to have a good framerate...

Oh, i'll keep a mental note on that. I'll see what i can do.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 pm
So as promised, here is a concept art of the player characters, Joe and Jane. They are default names, so you will be able to input a name in the game. 8)

Besides that, we worked on some items for the game. There are over 40+ items to find and secrets. I also have updated the sprites to reflect the concept art changes. But all pixel art is not done, and subject to change as i do more concepts.

Before i abandoned the smslib scrolling, i did get it to update the map correctly but without scrolling. Basically press key and it updates the current map in direction pressed. So it's definitely something i'm not getting with the scrolling function (of course.) Now with the new scroll library, it looks like it will be easier for to use it and things i need like map tile interaction. Haven't touched it yet though.

Anywho, see you next time. 8)
JoeandJane.jpg (107.68 KB)
JoeandJane.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:07 am
So i completed the inking of the map, now i just need to color it.
It's hard to tell, with it scaled down so much. I had to crop the portion that wasn't necessary in the image. Do to drawing it so large, because i want to print it as an 11x17 poster for the cartridge version. Probably should have converted to vector in Inkscape for it. But once i color it in, it will be much easier to see.

I combine villages where i could, so now it's down to six in total, plus the caves, beach, and lake to go to.

Currently i have a musician working on the tracks for each of the villages in the game, plus jingles. Once i get one completed, i'll start working on programming the town, with the new scroll library.
IslandMap.jpg (263.18 KB)
IslandMap.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:42 am
Nice map! It is great to be able to follow your work on Project Treasure in this thread; sometimes coding-related, sometimes assets- and concept related :) Speaking of concept - what are your thoughts on gameplay? I have never played a game based on looking for treasure with metal detector equipment, so I can't imagine what your game will play like. Can you name some sources of inspiration - will it be a little like Golden Axe Warrior, for example? Will Jane and Joe fight monsters/bad guys while searching for hidden treasure? :)
Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:56 pm
hang-on wrote
Nice map! It is great to be able to follow your work on Project Treasure in this thread; sometimes coding-related, sometimes assets- and concept related :) Speaking of concept - what are your thoughts on gameplay? I have never played a game based on looking for treasure with metal detector equipment, so I can't imagine what your game will play like. Can you name some sources of inspiration - will it be a little like Golden Axe Warrior, for example? Will Jane and Joe fight monsters/bad guys while searching for hidden treasure? :)

Thanks!.

Yeah, i wanted to try out a larger game since doing N-Pong, but i didn't want to make something that was out there gameplay wise. Figured i should document this experiment, so i can entice others to make more complex games. Also maybe makes some contacts and team up with other developers. I'm definitely open to helping with drawing/pixel art.

My inspiration is Zelda and Pokemon, so it will have some familiar elements of both in there for sure. Wanted the game so everyone can play it, so it's focused around getting to know the community of the island and discovering these lost items while surviving the elements (they are survivalists.) But there is no combat, just survival mechanics.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 pm
I am back for another update.

So i been working on painting the map, and here's a preview of it. It's huge, so i had to zoom in and take two screenshots. Lol. Just need to paint in more areas and add some final details for test print.

Here's also is a preview of work in progress of the game intro and sprites.

My composer (nicoleproducer) Has been cranking out some village tunes, in which i'll preview them once i get back to programming.

My goal is to program the titlescreen, game intro, and one village for promoting the game while i am work on it.

Next time, i'll hopefully have the test map completed and printed to show you how it looks on 11 x 17 paper.
2018-01-03 (1).png (1.69 MB)
2018-01-03 (1).png
2018-01-03 (2).png (1.84 MB)
2018-01-03 (2).png
2018-01-08 (1).png (236.16 KB)
2018-01-08 (1).png
2018-01-08.png (207.09 KB)
2018-01-08.png
2018-01-09.png (267.78 KB)
2018-01-09.png

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:20 am
Last edited by Orlan Rod on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back for another update.

So getting back to programming, i did an initial test of the new scroll library. Got it to load the titlescreen so far! But i have to test it out on a large map and the player/bgtile interaction for why i am using it. Some of the tiles scramble for some reason, when you leave Emulicous minimized. Probably the code, but not sure?

*EDIT* Never mind, it was just missing some code. Still can't attach images though.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:27 am
For some reason, image attachments when replying on this thread is not working for me anymore. Hmm, any help?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:31 am
You've used up your quota because you've posted high res PNGs, you should replace them with more optimised resolutions and formats.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm
I've increased your attachment quota. However please be mindful. Some of your PNG are big and could be JPG. Even some your JPG are unusually big for what they contains,

e.g. http://www.smspower.org/forums/16864-ProjectTreasureSMS#100330
Your JPG in 2.4 MB, saving it as PNG gives me a 400 KB and that's including the fact that the PNG has to compress the JPG artefact. Saving the original image as PNG would probably have yield a smaller file and higher quality than your JPG since it is pixel art.

The contrary your latest PNG that aren't low-res pixel art should really be smaller JPG.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm
Bock wrote
I've increased your attachment quota. However please be mindful. Some of your PNG are big and could be JPG. Even some your JPG are unusually big for what they contains,

e.g. http://www.smspower.org/forums/16864-ProjectTreasureSMS#100330
Your JPG in 2.4 MB, saving it as PNG gives me a 400 KB and that's including the fact that the PNG has to compress the JPG artefact. Saving the original image as PNG would probably have yield a smaller file and higher quality than your JPG since it is pixel art.

The contrary your latest PNG that aren't low-res pixel art should really be smaller JPG.

Thanks! Oh okay, i'll make sure to keep them small. 8)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:20 pm
Ideally you could reupload some of your earlier attachments with smaller files when it makes sense.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 pm
Back for another update.

The title map is in with sverx's stm map functions as suggested. I also got fade in/out, the menu selector showing on screen, and inputs working. Now going to add some detail animations to the map so it's not static looking, while i wait for the title theme track from the composer to test. Gif coming of changes made on the next update. 8)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 am
Great news!

Orlan Rod wrote
The title map is in with sverx's stm map functions as suggested.

it's now officially simply called STM ("ShrunkTileMap") format - and this format isn't headerless any more as it contains metadata (map's width - see here) - 'sverx's tile map' refers to the previous STM format.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:38 pm
Back with another update.

Added some birds and clouds to the title screen. Now going to try and make a water glistening effect too. I'm also almost done working on a name entry, after the player chooses his character. Here is a mock up of the work in progress character select. As you see, there are 3 skills that each of them have, and will benefit you in different ways throughout the game.

The next thing to do after that, is implement the title theme tune, that my composer has completed. That will be in the next update. I'll probably upload a youtube vid for demonstration.
2018-01-21 (1).png (16.3 KB)
2018-01-21 (1).png

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm
Great selection screen... I like It!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 pm
eruiz00 wrote
Great selection screen... I like It!

Thanks!

Here is another update to the player select screen. Skills & Stats are displayed. Skills are abilities that help in different parts of the island. Stats are: thirst, hunger, and health. These decrease with activities, which effect your ability to perform.
2018-01-23.png (19.38 KB)
2018-01-23.png

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:47 am
Looks great! I’m curious about your approach at this point: Have you already laid down a detailed masterplan for the game mechanics - and now you are making the graphics? Or are you developing the mechanics in tandem with creating graphical assets?
Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:36 pm
hang-on wrote
Looks great! I’m curious about your approach at this point: Have you already laid down a detailed masterplan for the game mechanics - and now you are making the graphics? Or are you developing the mechanics in tandem with creating graphical assets?

Thanks!

Yeah, i detailed the mechanics in my design document before i began making this game, but right now none of it is set in stone until the gameplay programming begins. The fundamental idea though is firm, which is exploration, discovery, and questing around treasure.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:22 am
Back with a preview of the current progress.

I found out that i couldn't have all those portraits on same screen, do to sprite limit(i want to animate them.) So i just made it display 3 at a time, and you switch with left and right buttons. I also added name entry, so you can enter your name if you desire.

Now i am going to start on the intro of the game. I need to make the tiled file, so i can test out the scroll map right (collisions, tile priority, interactions etc.) But i will preview the title theme in the next update.

It's in gif format, so it runs at 5fps. Excuse that for now, until i upload to my youtube channel next time.
ptpreview.gif (2.1 MB)
ptpreview.gif

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 am
If you don't mind talking privately, I can give some advice on producing higher quality, smaller GIFs, for future.

Rather not clog up this forum thread with such advice!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:39 am
You can animate tiles rather than sprites, depending on what effect you're trying to achieve
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 am
Back again.

This time i got a demonstration of the game running on hardware. This is to test the title theme music Nicole did for me. I also forgot to set my background color to green, which i didn't catch on the emulator.

But boy, is this recording blurred. I zoomed on the TV, and apparently that affected the sharpness. *slaps forehead on table* Next time, i shall not make this mistake...

Here is the link.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 pm
Orlan Rod wrote
I also forgot to set my background color to green, which i didn't catch on the emulator.

That's backdrop/border color, which is by default the color 0 of the sprite palette. I usually set it to what I prefer by 'overwriting' the color 0 in the palette file, using assets2banks 'overwrite' feature as in:

# set backdrop to black (0x00)
sprites (palette).bin
:overwrite 0 0x00

in assets2banks.cfg file
Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm
Looks good so far. :)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:56 pm
And i'm back with another video, showing the test scrolling of the new scroll library. I forget to fix the bg color again, but it's the correct one on the third map transition. Now i need to start program in the story portion, so i can load in more maps. This is going to be annoying, since i need to do a timeline of actions, with movement, sprite animation, and dialog.

I also fixed a issue in timing, where the map transition starts before the assets are done being loaded into vram.

Anywho, i'll have more once i do the intro dialog. Here is the link to the video. See ya later! 8)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 am
Wow, i like your graphics !! they're stylish and remember me of Micromachines, I don't know why! :-D
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am
Nice graphics - and we also see Psidum's wonderful GSLib at work! :)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 pm
Really nice visual style. I must admit, though, that I liked your first character select screen better. Maybe you should explore the possibilities of using background tiles for animation, as suggested.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm
Kagesan wrote
I liked your first character select screen better. Maybe you should explore the possibilities of using background tiles for animation, as suggested.

Quoting - the previous selection screen was way better also IMHO.
We surely can make that work - it isn't hard to animate tiles (but yes, it's different from using sprites)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 pm
I heard you guys, and decided to dump all tiles back to the bg, and redid the title and char select screen in the process. Going to animate it with bg instead. Also added by request, French and Brazil chars. In addition, i added Cuba to round it out. I decided to drop the health stat, as i changed it for a skill. This allows me to display all the characters without problems.

Still working on the intro, so until next time. See ya! 8)
2018-02-28.png (27.81 KB)
2018-02-28.png
2018-02-28 (2).png (29.88 KB)
2018-02-28 (2).png

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am
nice! :) (the red arrow is a little too small - I would suggest to make a flashing rectangle / use flashing corners to select the player).
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!