Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Can I build my own Sega Master System?

Reply to topic
Can I build my own Sega Master System?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 pm
Last edited by Game Gear on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
I was searching online for photos of both the SN76489 and YM2413 soundchips to include in the video part of my Ice Cap Zone Sega Master System Remix (which uses mostly FM, but does use 1 PSG instrument). Unfortunately, I couldn't remove the backgrounds without removing some of the soundchip itself, so I just put text instead XD.

While I was searching, I stumbled across this
https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/816070.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&am...

With such a low price, this got me thinking, "Why don't I build myself a Master System?" Assuming all the parts are cheap like that (and yes, I know the YM2413 can't replace PSG) I'd be very interested in designing my own variant of the Master System. I built the computer I'm typing this on, but I have a feeling this will be far more technical. I am willing to learn though and this would be awesome to show off on my channel. Any advice/parts required lists/estimated cost in Canadian money/stuff like that would be greatly appreciated.

Dallas

P.S. If it would be possible to build a machine that could properly play all SG-1000, SMS, Genesis, GG, Sega CD, and 32x games, then perhaps I'd try that instead.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 pm
There are custom chips in there: the video chip and I/O parts are Sega proprietary. The RAM, CPU and video encoder are off the shelf, although it's increasingly expensive to buy these parts as they are too slow and old to be in demand so there's only old stock available.

You might be able to build an SG-1000, I think it only uses third party chips; or you can "emulate" it all in an FPGA - a few such projects exist.

Some of the old chips available online are fakes. db-electronics has posted some videos about fake YM2413s.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 pm
Maxim wrote
There are custom chips in there: the video chip and I/O parts are Sega proprietary. The RAM, CPU and video encoder are off the shelf, although it's increasingly expensive to buy these parts as they are too slow and old to be in demand so there's only old stock available.

You might be able to build an SG-1000, I think it only uses third party chips; or you can "emulate" it all in an FPGA - a few such projects exist.

Some of the old chips available online are fakes. db-electronics has posted some videos about fake YM2413s.

An SG-1000 would be nice. How would I build the cartridge slot though? Do you have a list of all the required components?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:31 am
Let's just assume it's beyond anyone who can't figure it out themselves.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 am
you might be interested in this topic
Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:01 am
sverx wrote

Ghost House, yay! So, if I can just copy that code, then what else would I need?
Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:01 pm
Game Gear wrote
sverx wrote

Ghost House, yay! So, if I can just copy that code, then what else would I need?

A Nexys 4 board as referred to here: https://github.com/celesteneary/sms
Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:23 pm
dink wrote
Game Gear wrote
sverx wrote

A Nexys 4 board as referred to here: https://github.com/celesteneary/sms

That's a lot more expensive than I was expecting. I guess this idea will have to wait for now as my main priority is continuing to upgrade my film making equipment (I bought like $600 worth of camera equipment and an extra 1080p camcorder on Saturday and at some point I need to purchase a professional 4K camcorder). Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!