SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Asterix cartridge with and without Paging Chip

Reply to topic
Asterix cartridge with and without Paging Chip
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:23 pm
Hello

i just found out, that my cartridge of Asterix has a paging chip, while other Asterix cartridges have not. What exactly is the chip for? What's the difference ingame?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 pm
No difference at all in the game. It's just a matter of whether they made chips with both bits of functionality on or not.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 pm
Pat86 wrote
What exactly is the chip for?

The Master System can access only 48KB of cartridge data at a time. However, the Asterix game is much larger: 512KB. The mapper chip allows the game to control which 48KB of the total 512KB is visible.

The cartridge without a mapper chip also contains the same logic - instead of having it and the game data in separate chips, they are combined into one.

Pat86 wrote
What's the difference ingame?

In itself, a separate mapper chip does not make any difference to how the game runs.

However, there are two known versions of Asterix: the earlier "v0" contains several minor issues that are fixed in "v1". It's possible that your image shows one cartridge of each version, or they may both be the same.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 pm
Thank you for the clarification. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm
Pat86, actually I would be interested if you could test your cartridges to identify for both if they are V0 and V1.

Based on this guide http://www.smspower.org/Development/Asterix-SMS you can use point 4 and compare the attract sequence, so you don't need to clear the game or reach Round VIII ;)

I so far only found the V1 version in Brazilian and an Australian cartridge and I'm really curious to find if V1 also shipped in European cartridges. Even more surprising is that I found a Brazilian V0 cartridge and a Brazilian V1 cartridge.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am
Unfortunately i could only check the one with the paging chip, as the other cartridge isn't mine. And this seems to be v0 as its "prus en plus" on the title card for round 3. :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!