Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Does this Game Gear need to be “re-recapped?”

Reply to topic
Does this Game Gear need to be “re-recapped?”
Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 pm
After having wanted one for literally 20+ years I finally picked up a Game Gear at a retro games store a few days ago. I knew about the GG reputation for capacitor issues and the store owner specifically said he had recapped it.

Upon getting it home I found the sound works perfectly, but the screen is struggling a bit. I occasionally get bright vertical lines across the picture and if I look at the screen straight on it's hard to see (although a small angle like 5-10 degrees makes it visible).

From what I've read it looks like probably at least some of my issues are just related to the GG screen not being great to begin with. Since I never saw one back in its prime I don’t have a good reference, and I’ve had difficulty telling from videos online since when I record my GG screen it seems to look a little better than it does to the naked eye. Since my sound works perfectly and the GG is at least playable I suspect he maybe did recap it but didn't do the best job.

I’m trying to figure out whether the screen need to be "re-recapped" and whether it would actually help the picture quality, or if the bright vertical lines/ moderate angle issues are more endemic to GG screens in general or I’d otherwise get minimal improvement. Since I’m a new member it won’t let me post links, but you can see the current condition of the screen by appending the following to youtube:

watch?v=xSJOaDSOJvA
Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 pm
CaptainKoloth wrote
After having wanted one for literally 20+ years I finally picked up a Game Gear at a retro games store a few days ago. I knew about the GG reputation for capacitor issues and the store owner specifically said he had recapped it.

Upon getting it home I found the sound works perfectly, but the screen is struggling a bit. I occasionally get bright vertical lines across the picture and if I look at the screen straight on it's hard to see (although a small angle like 5-10 degrees makes it visible).

From what I've read it looks like probably at least some of my issues are just related to the GG screen not being great to begin with. Since I never saw one back in its prime I don’t have a good reference, and I’ve had difficulty telling from videos online since when I record my GG screen it seems to look a little better than it does to the naked eye. Since my sound works perfectly and the GG is at least playable I suspect he maybe did recap it but didn't do the best job.

I’m trying to figure out whether the screen need to be "re-recapped" and whether it would actually help the picture quality, or if the bright vertical lines/ moderate angle issues are more endemic to GG screens in general or I’d otherwise get minimal improvement. Since I’m a new member it won’t let me post links, but you can see the current condition of the screen by appending the following to youtube:

watch?v=xSJOaDSOJvA

Vertical lines unfortunately won't be repaired by recapping your system. It typically helps with the screen intensity. There are people that offer replacement LCD upgrades for the system which would probably be your best bet.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!