Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Gender Adapter mass produced - Sign up for unheard FM music!

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:01 pm
Likewise - mine also arrived yesterday. Many thanks.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:06 pm
I also got mine today, much appreciated!
Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:04 am
got mine thanks, is it just me or rastan doesnt work at all?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:17 pm
I have tried two copies of Rastan and didnt manage to get it working sadly
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:12 pm
It seems Rastan has some code in there which assumes it is running from the cartridge slot (while it is detecting the FM chip) - which is strange, but unfortunately true. There's not much you can do about that, sadly.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:24 pm
Wewt, got mine yesterday.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:52 am
I noticed a problem with Rastan too recently. :(

It shall be easily possible to patch the ROM image but of course the original cartridge wouldn't work.
Maybe (not sure) it's faisable to setup Pro Action Replay codes to do the same thing with an original cartridge.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:06 am
Looking at the code, I think it'll be tricky to impossible to do it with a RAM patch, which is all the PAR can do.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:18 am
I bought one last week, hope they were still in stock! If this turns out to be sweet, I'll probably buy another if you still have them. I'm gonna search the thread, but just in case it's not there, can anyone confirm if Out Run and Lord of the Sword work? On the piece of crap (But still great, because it works for some games!) that I built when I was in high school, those two games wouldn't work (along with Rastan, which I noticed was mentioned above.)

Also, would this work with the Tototek Flash cart? I have yet to get one of those.

If this is at my house when I go home next weekend, I'm gonna be STOKED!

Thanks,
B

EDIT: oops, just realized the October 8th thing.
Pokemon
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:24 am
Hello, will this device allow any Sega MS game to be plugged into a Jap MS even if it doesn't have the fm sound capability? This would be good as it would allow someone to play all the games at 60hz, rather than the usual 50 here in the UK.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:57 pm
Pokemon wrote
Hello, will this device allow any Sega MS game to be plugged into a Jap MS even if it doesn't have the fm sound capability?

Yes, almost all games should work.

Can people report back on compatibility? The way this thing works, an incompatible game will likely not work at all, so if it's playable it should be 100% (PAL/NTSC incompatibilities aside).
Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:59 pm
I couldn't get the 4 Pak All Action cart to work through the adaptor. Not too surprising, since it's finnickey on some Western units too...
Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:37 pm
wonder boy didnt work properly for me, glitching up on both copies i tried.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 pm
Hi, Bock (Omar). Thanks for the adaptors!

I just hooked up my SMS now and tried out a couple of games. The Tototek flash cart works fine with your adaptor. Wonder Boy (an original cartridge) does glitch up with the adaptor. As soon as you start the game, your hero starts running uncontrollably. Weird.

I tried out your (?) SMS Boot Loader on my Tototek card, with a game in every slot. It works fine, and I could select any of 3 car(t/d)s, although the SMS seems to boot to the MyCard slot first, if at all.

Anyway, using the Boot Loader menu to jump to Wonder Boy in the expansion slot, the game runs fine without the aforementioned glitch. So I suppose your Boot Loader works better than the internal SMS BIOS for clearing RAM and booting to a game...
Any master system gender adaptors left?
Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:58 pm
Hello, I'm new here, not new to Sega 8bit machines though, got a japanese Master System today (yay!) and wondering if there are any diagonal gender adaptors left? Probably but just thought I'd ask before purchasing.

Is there a list somewhere over which eu/us games have fm-support?
Do eu/us Y's and Phantasy Star have fm-support, anyone?

Thanks in advance!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:36 pm
The list is in the first post. Neither have a FM sound track (there was one in the JP version of PHantasy Star but it was removed from the export version)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:19 pm
crawler: gender adapters still available, feel free to order.
For a full list of FM compatible games you can download MEKA and check out the file called 'compat.txt'.
Thanks!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:45 pm
Thank you, I just got home last night and tried this baby out. One thing though, is that I get the same results on some games: Out Run doesn't boot, Fantasy Zone has a scrambled screen, and Lord of the Sword doesn't boot either, it shows a light blue screen. It's probably my system, but does anyone know what might be the cause?

Thanks!

B
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:38 am
just tried those 3 games and got the same result but fantasy zone worked correctly after a couple power on/off
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:00 pm
Weird.. same thing for Fantasy Zone. What Chris Covell said may be the key of all this, it should be investigated (Wonder Boy working via the boot loader).

We may want to establish a compatibility list and then investigate on a case by case basis, try to find work arounds. I'll refund adapters to anybody who feel unsatisfied due to incompatibility on some games.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:21 pm
This is a total hunch, but I got the idea from the guts of a Sega CD.
The U-Turn double female adaptor that connects the SCD to the Genesis has a capacitor on each line. Sometimes lttle things like filter caps can make big differences in ways that make no sense...
The fact that a few power on/offs makes a difference is what makes me think ths might be the issue. The caps might stabilize the signals a bt, particularly on the power lines.
Again, it's manly a hunch, but I'm willing to trace the SCD board to see where the caps are, as there are many signals there that are analogous to the SMS(this is the memory mapped port, this is I/O, this is an address line...).

Correction, there are caps on some lines, but also a number of small ICs.

It also had a ferrite ring clamped around it, but that's just some ol' FCC BOOSHEET.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 am
Ola, I have finally paid for the adaptor I promised to buy. I had some problems to overcome about the international card used for billing :(

Now, if anyone got a jap SMS to sell, plz email me. It's shown to be very hard to find one here in Brazil.

Thanks for the opportunity!
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:48 am
Wiseduck wrote
Ola, I have finally paid for the adaptor I promised to buy. I had some problems to overcome about the international card used for billing :(

Now, if anyone got a jap SMS to sell, plz email me. It's shown to be very hard to find one here in Brazil.

Thanks for the opportunity!
I'm going to Japan in March, so if you PM me a maximum price you'd pay, I'll look, and contact you when I find it.
Wire transfer=done.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53 pm
Hi again!

Just received the adapter!

I'll keep looking for the SMS up to February. If I don't find, I'll sure contact you! Thank you very much! :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Has anyone else had trouble playing Time Soldiers through a gender adapter? I can't get the Euro version to boot - just a black screen.
Tototek adapter and rewritable cartridge on SC3000?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:26 pm
I'd finally collected a moribund Master Gear and a Card Catcher and I was going to mash them up to make something resembling the Tototek adapter (there's a how-to page that was linked somewhere here, long ago. I better update this post with that link). The ultimate goal is to load a single SG1000/SC3000 rom onto my Tototek cartridge at a time to run on my SC3000.

But now that my soldering iron is hot and ready to destroy precious Sega artifacts, my nerve is rapidly dissipating. I wouldn't mind blowing fourteen dollars on Tototek merchandise, hence my question: would this work with a Tototek adapter?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:43 pm
I can hear the difference between Galaxy force on the Sega Ages release.
You can turn FM on or off.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 pm
are these adaptors still available ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:18 pm
luke2fr wrote
are these adaptors still available ?

Yes.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:43 am
I will buy one of these things off of yall once I can locate a Japanese SMS (and get some cash).
Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 pm
Ok, got some questions here.

Where is this RAMcart sold?

If one bought the adapter and only had a US system, would a mod of any sort allow compatibility? I think I know the answer to this since the JP SMS has a Yamaha chip. Basically, it could only be used with the RAMcart, and not for FM sound, right?

If one owns Viletim's FM add-on board, does this make the adapter pointless other than for use with the RAMcart?

What is the SMS bootloader and what is it used for?

Thanks!

-Rob
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:19 pm
rbudrick wrote
Where is this RAMcart sold?

http://www.smspower.org/smsreader/

rbudrick wrote
If one bought the adapter and only had a US system, would a mod of any sort allow compatibility?

The gender changer would allow you to plug a cart into the expansion port of the system. That's not much use, since it fits in the cartridge slot just fine. There would be no FM music.

rbudrick wrote
If one owns Viletim's FM add-on board, does this make the adapter pointless other than for use with the RAMcart?

Perhaps. The gender changer has two primary uses:

1. Allowing an export-style (US/EU/etc) cartridge to plug into a Japanese SMS, which allows FM music in those games to work
2. Allowing two cartridges to be plugged into the system at the same time, allowing the contents of one to be copied to the other. This allows dumping Japanese cartridges via a Japanese system and dumping GG cartridges via a home-made cartridge adapter, with maximum compatibility because the cartridges are being read by a real system. But it does depend on having some sort of writeable cartridge, like the RAM cart mentioned. There is no known way to write to the TOTOTEK flash cartridge (except using the 32KB savegame area).

rbudrick wrote
What is the SMS bootloader and what is it used for?

It is a BIOS replacement that removes all checks and also allows for selection of which slot to boot from. The default US BIOS will refuse to boot software without a valid header and always boots in the priority cart > card > expansion slot. Thus, it (or some other hack) is needed to enable dumping to the expansion slot.
Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:35 pm
Since someone already revived this topic, I'll note that i got mine a couple days ago too (thanks again), and here's some further compatability results from messing around with it:

Zaxxon 3-D: Runs perfectly. The FM version of the title music is downright eerie too.

R-Type: Runs perfectly (though I forgot to check the special hidden stage)

Golvellius. Seems to run fine. Only messed around thru the first area a little, though, so can't be certain.

Rescue Mission: Game boots, starts fine, gun unresponsive. Pulling trigger anywhere recreates the "Not shooting at screen" effect.. but you can't actually fire at anything and thus cannot get past the difficulty screen

Maze Hunter 3-D: Game boots, title screen functional. Play demo has mangled graphics. Playing game, graphics appear normal for a minute or two and then become garbeled to the point of unplayabilty. Odd. I can't figure this one out. Is it somehow screwing up the data it's sending to the machine?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:19 pm
Last edited by Bock on Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Rescue Mission doesn't work on Japanese SMS. Light Phasers games are supposed to slightly vary their input for a Japanese system but Rescue Mission doesn't do it. It's an easy patch but with the original cartridge we're stuck :(
Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:23 am
Bock wrote
Rescue Mission doesn't work on Japanese SMS. Light Phasers are supposed slightly vary their input for a Japanese system but Rescue Mission doesn't do it. It's an easy patch but with the original cartridge we're stuck :(

Ha, that's a strange quirk. I would never have thought they'd make a hardware difference like that.. interesting. Shame there's no way around it, but thems the breaks I suppose. I spent about 10 minutes switching between my US system and the Japanese one trying to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. :lol
Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:49 pm
Wow, I never knew that about the light guns. How exactly do they vary? So if one had Viletim's solder mod board and the adapter, would all those games work?

-Rob
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:08 pm
It's not strictly related to the Light Phaser, but there's differences in I/O ports between Japanese and Export systems ( http://smspower.org/dev/docs/wiki/InputAndOutput/PeripheralPorts ). I don't recall the detail and I might be very wrong, but I think that Rescue Mission doesn't work just because they haven't coded in the JP variation code which is trivial code. I might be totally wrong though that's what I recall :)
Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm
Hi Folks,

I received the plug in adaptor from viletim, but my US SMS (model 1) is completely differetn inside. The capacitor c48 doesn't exist and where something should be in its place in the pic, the configuration of components there is very different and all are labelled differently.

Has anyoone had any luck installing this in the US SMS model 1 Where did you make your solder points?

Thanks!

-Rob
Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:49 pm
rbudrick wrote
Hi Folks,

I received the plug in adaptor from viletim, but my US SMS (model 1) is completely differetn inside. The capacitor c48 doesn't exist and where something should be in its place in the pic, the configuration of components there is very different and all are labelled differently.

Has anyoone had any luck installing this in the US SMS model 1 Where did you make your solder points?

Thanks!

-Rob

Eeerrrmm, I think you have posted in the wrong topic, try this one:
http://smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10841

Also I had the same issue with my SMS, ill dig up the E-Mail correspondence I had with Viletim and ill let you know.
Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:12 pm
D'oh! Wrong topic, yes you're right. My apologies, folks. I had two threads bookmarked and picked the wrong one. I'll copy and paste my post inthe correct thread anyway,but I look forward to your response, Jacko. Thanks!

-Rob
Manek
Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:10 am
Hello, wich will be the freight cost to mexico city?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 am
The price including shipping worldwide.
  • Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:14 am
Any chance of making something similar for the Mark III? I want to play Wonder Boy III but the Tototek converter doesn't work...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am
The Mark III expansion port doesn't (as far as I know) have enough pins to support running a game. If WB3 doesn't work in the cart slot with an adaptor, it's unlikely to be fixable without code changes.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:15 am
I would like to buy 1 please!

Thank you
Hope it's not too late
Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am
Are these adapters still available?

It's been at least 1 year from the last post on the tread.
I can do one myself by buying the parts but I'd rather have it prebuilt.

Anyway let me know so if available I can proceed to order.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am
phoenixdownita wrote

Yes they are still available. You can e-mail/paypal me and I'll ship during the week.
http://www.smspower.org/Shop/GenderAdapter
Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 pm
Bock wrote
phoenixdownita wrote

Yes they are still available. You can e-mail/paypal me and I'll ship during the week. ....

Done, I forgot to specify I want to the diagonal one, hopefully that is the default one anyway.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 am
phoenixdownita wrote
Bock wrote
phoenixdownita wrote

Yes they are still available. You can e-mail/paypal me and I'll ship during the week. ....

Done, I forgot to specify I want to the diagonal one, hopefully that is the default one anyway.

Haven't heard if this has been shipped or waiting for something. Payment should have cleared by now.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm
I got your payment, will ship tomorrow (Friday)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!