Reply to topic
mami54
MEKA for PSP
Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:22 pm
It is a very wonderful emulator.
Please release a PSP version.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:03 pm
A lot of Meka is written in very wonderful x86 assembly code so it would be insanely difficult to port to PSP, especially since it also relies on Allegro and Seal libraries for video, input and sound. The existing SMS emulators on PSP are probably based on SMSPlus because it's portable and open-source and much easier to port.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33 pm
Well, if you want Meka for its GUI, i don't think it's easy to navigate on a PSP, since it's mouse-based.

Maybe one could make a new GUI for SMSPlus (although i don't know what kind of GUI it has now on the PSP) if it's not satisfying enough...

SMSPlus itself is a wonderfull emu actually...
Rich
Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:25 pm
SMS Plus doesnt work In firmware verisons 2.01 and higher :( Meka Plz

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm
Rich wrote
SMS Plus doesnt work In firmware verisons 2.01 and higher :( Meka Plz

I'm sure SMS Plus will come out eventually.
And meka is hard to port, as Maxim said.
Qar
Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:03 pm
And "Solitaire Poker" for Game Gear didn't run correctly ;[

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm
MEKA is not that hard to port.
The X86 assembly part are very few and easy to rewrite in C. The most annoying parts are 1/ Allegro (but it's already ported to many systems) and 2/ Seal sound library (that's the real problem as of today).
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:25 am
SteveSMS wrote
Well, if you want Meka for its GUI, i don't think it's easy to navigate on a PSP, since it's mouse-based.

Bock should try to make one for DS, where the top screen shows the action of whatever you're playing, and the bottom one is a touch GUI. That would be a little easier than trying to make a PSP version.
Bock, that really is just a suggestion, you don't have to if you don't want.
(TRANSLATION: You're a lot older than me and I have no right to push you around. and besides, you're basically a governing power on this forum.)
Bock wrote
MEKA is not that hard to port.
The X86 assembly part are very few and easy to rewrite in C. The most annoying parts are 1/ Allegro (but it's already ported to many systems) and 2/ Seal sound library (that's the real problem as of today).

Well, as I said above, MEKA would be more suitable for DS than PSP if you want it for its GUI, and if you ever decide to do a DS version, you could just make the most of the DS's sound drivers.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:02 pm
MEKA code base is probably not suited for DS, a little too bloated for that. It could have been back in it's DOS days, but now, I'm generally trading-off performances/memory footprint for more features/compatibility/portability/easier development.
Beside I'm personnally not allowed to do amateur work on DS because I'm a licensed DS developpers so that could be risky to do any amateur work in term of NDA breach. So someone may attempt to do it but it can't be me.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:39 am
At least it's better than trying it on a PSP, which doesn't have a touch screen like the DS does. Y'know, if you had a. x86 to Java-or-whatever-the-DS-supports converter, it could be an easy task. all you'd have to do is assign the Game Screen to the top monitor of the DS, while the GUI is on the bottom, for easy touch access (I said that sometime ago).
So besides the coding problems, I think it would be more supported for DS than PSP.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:00 am
The coding problems are ALL problems.
The touch screen is of no pertinent use for a Master System emulator running on the DS. The DS doesn't "support" Java. There's already emulators running on the GBA/DS made by experienced people (FluBBa) which are very usable.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:12 am
Bock wrote
The coding problems are ALL problems.
The touch screen is of no pertinent use for a Master System emulator running on the DS. The DS doesn't "support" Java. There's already emulators running on the GBA/DS made by experienced people (FluBBa) which are very usable.

The touch screen could provide easy navigation, as well as a "Light Gun".
I'm just saying that a more logical step is to have someone make a similar emulator for DS rather than PSP.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:37 pm
I will probably eventually get around to do a version of SMSAdvance for the NDS. Actually I should do a version for Windows or some other OS as well, I'm right now in the process of implementing support for switching machine (SG-1000, SMS1, SMS2, GG & MD).
Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 pm
FluBBa wrote
I will probably eventually get around to do a version of SMSAdvance for the NDS.

I would appreciate this greatly. DS native emulators are still lacking a bit across the board.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:57 pm
A quick and dirty port would worth it even if only for the ikncreased resolution, since the DS has same resolution as the SMS.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:32 pm
Bock wrote
Beside I'm personnally not allowed to do amateur work on DS because I'm a licensed DS developpers so that could be risky to do any amateur work in term of NDA breach. So someone may attempt to do it but it can't be me.

OMG, Bock! You've crossed to the dark side, and are working for Ni****do now (albeit in a very round-about way)?
Best SMS/GG emu for psp
Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:24 am
http://dl.qj.net/psp/emulators/emumaster-v3gx-ff-xiii-edition.html
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!