SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Breaking Ice

Reply to topic
Chris
Breaking Ice
Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 5:58 pm
This is pityful. It's been 8 days and no posts? Either we need some more posts or we need more
publicity.

Chris :o)

Eric
Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 1999 8:59 pm
> This is pityful. It's been 8 days and no posts? Either we need some more posts or we need more
> publicity.

I believe the problem is that no one is actually developing anything. Is anyone out there working on SMS/GG software? If not why? Is it a lack of tools, knowledge, interest?

I am very interested in SMS/GG software development, which is why I've asked Zoop to allow me to help co-maintain the S8-Dev web-site. So, please let me know, what is preventing people from creating their own SMS/GG programs? I will try to find the necessary resources and add them to this site. If the resources don't exist, than I'll help to create them.

On a side note, I am currently trying to create a tool to help SMS/GG software developers. It's a SMS/GG debugging emulator called MesaDX. So far, I have received very little feedback about it, and conclude that not many people have used it (which is understandable since it doesn't include graphics emulation.) I'd like to encourage people to give it a try, and start writing some simple Z80 programs. I can be of assistance if people need help figuring how to write, assemble, and test their programs. Perhaps some kind of "Getting Started with SMS/GG programming" tutorial should be written? Please, let me know.

Eric Quinn

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 1:19 am

> > This is pityful. It's been 8 days and no posts? Either we need some more posts or we need more
> > publicity.

> I believe the problem is that no one is actually developing anything. Is anyone out there working on SMS/GG software? If not why? Is it a lack of tools, knowledge, interest?

Lack of tools & Knowledge

> I am very interested in SMS/GG software development, which is why I've asked Zoop to allow me to help co-maintain the S8-Dev web-site. So, please let me know, what is preventing people from creating their own SMS/GG programs? I will try to find the necessary resources and add them to this site. If the resources don't exist, than I'll help to create them.

The simple fact that I can't be bothered learning Z80 Assmebler.
Besides, I don't want to write a few cryptic symbols into a text file and hope for the best when I compile it.

The only computer language that I have ever had a grip on was BASIC on the Amstrad CPC128.
If there was a BASIC compiler for Z80... hehe.
Seriously, Z80 ASM looks waaay too complicated for a simple fuck like me. Maybe when I go to University next year, I'll learn Assembler, but for now, even Visual Basic looks daunting. hehe.

> On a side note, I am currently trying to create a tool to help SMS/GG software developers. It's a SMS/GG debugging emulator called MesaDX. So far, I have received very little feedback about it, and conclude that not many people have used it (which is understandable since it doesn't include graphics emulation.) I'd like to encourage people to give it a try, and start writing some simple Z80 programs. I can be of assistance if people need help figuring how to write, assemble, and test their programs. Perhaps some kind of "Getting Started with SMS/GG programming" tutorial should be written? Please, let me know.

I've used it, and have no idea on how to use any of the information I get out of it. Or even how to get information out of it.
The tutorial sounds like a good idea.

> Eric Quinn

~unfnknblvbl
Chris
Visual Basic Development
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 4:04 am
I don't give a damn about what anybody says but I'm going to create an emulator under Visual
Basic 5 for Windows and that's that. I'm sick of listening to everyone's personal opinions on
things and not doing what in the hell I want to do. I don't like C. I like Basic. Basic is the
language of my choice. I do understand the power of C and Assembler combined but I don't
have time to download and study someone else's compiler or development library or whatever
crap they have, nor do I want to spend hours upon hours studying assembler and writing my
own libraries. I'm going to do what works for me. If I should fail, then it will be a lession that
I shall learn. Now, I'm still deciding upon myself to develop a Sega Game 1000 emulator
or a NES emulator but those will be my priorities.

My second priority is to write a NSF to MID utility. Why? Cause it's what I want to DO. I don't
want to wait another year or two before Zoop or someone else decides to implement the
damn PSG and YM logging format into their emulator.

Oh and one more thing. I know this site is about Sega development and a good 80% of what
I've ever talked about in this site is in favor of the Ni****do side but I dont' care. Ni****do is
what I grew up with! You can call me trator, whatever you like; I dont' care anymore. My only
reason for being at this site is because you emu buffs know a ton of information for pretty
much all the systems, not just SEGA alone.

Have a nice day :o)

Chris
Visual Basic Development
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 4:06 am
I don't give a damn about what anybody says but I'm going to create an emulator under Visual
Basic 5 for Windows and that's that. I'm sick of listening to everyone's personal opinions on
things and not doing what in the hell I want to do. I don't like C. I like Basic. Basic is the
language of my choice. I do understand the power of C and Assembler combined but I don't
have time to download and study someone else's compiler or development library or whatever
crap they have, nor do I want to spend hours upon hours studying assembler and writing my
own libraries. I'm going to do what works for me. If I should fail, then it will be a lession that
I shall learn. Now, I'm still deciding upon myself to develop a Sega Game 1000 emulator
or a NES emulator but those will be my priorities.

My second priority is to write a NSF to MID utility. Why? Cause it's what I want to DO. I don't
want to wait another year or two before Zoop or someone else decides to implement the
damn PSG and YM logging format into their emulator.

Oh and one more thing. I know this site is about Sega development and a good 80% of what
I've ever talked about in this site is in favor of the Ni****do side but I dont' care. Ni****do is
what I grew up with! You can call me trator, whatever you like; I dont' care anymore. My only
reason for being at this site is because you emu buffs know a ton of information for pretty
much all the systems, not just SEGA alone.

Damn, I totally forgot what in the hell I was writing about...oh yeah. Yes, there is a suffecient(sorry
about spelling)amount of info on this site and on the web but there could be a lot more. And could
somebody please answer my question about the Windows timer controls!!?? I heard something
about kernel a while back. Please help.

Have a nice day :o)

Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 5:30 am

> I believe the problem is that no one is actually developing anything. Is anyone out there working on SMS/GG software? If not why? Is it a lack of tools, knowledge, interest?

what i would like to see is a C compiler for z80 - perhaps including auto handeling of sms bankswitching (or would this make it messy?)

i also think it would be very neat if someone designed a sms passthrough cart (eg like an action replay/game genie) that contains the fm chip (as yamaha still make the 2413, unlike many other lines have been discontinued).

Project
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 9:26 am
I must (read: I have to, for some reasons) write a little game for SMS/GG before the end of the year, I've been just too busy lately.
In any cases I'll be glad to add any features in Meka to help development if someone if interested.
Eric
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 3:49 pm
> i also think it would be very neat if someone designed a sms passthrough cart (eg like an action replay/game genie) that contains the fm chip (as yamaha still make the 2413, unlike many other lines have been discontinued).

The problem with this approach is that there would have to be a special line on the bus to transmit the final analog sound output from the FM chip (in the pass-through cart) to the RF/AV unit. No such line exists.

The only way such a device could work is if the RF/AV out from the SMS was fed into the pass-through cart, which then added in the sound channel, and passed the RF/AV back out to the TV (similar to how a Genesis/32X combo works.) Unfortunately, this requires a great deal more knowledge then just digital hardware design (which is all I ever studied.)

Eric

Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 3:58 am

> The problem with this approach is that there would have to be a special line on the bus to transmit the final analog sound output from the FM chip (in the pass-through cart) to the RF/AV unit. No such line exists.

i would just settle for a headphone jack on the cart itself, or something. obviously the chip outputs a waveform, is it right to assume that it will be analogue and directly useable by headphones or some other out device (*not* inputting to the tv)?

Naflign
Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 8:54 am
> I am very interested in SMS/GG software development, which is why I've asked Zoop to allow me to help co-maintain the S8-Dev web-site. So, please let me know, what is preventing people from creating their own SMS/GG programs? I will try to find the necessary resources and add them to this site. If the resources don't exist, than I'll help to create them.

Well, in my case it's not for lack of trying....but perhaps a lack of intelligence or comprehension on my part ^^ I know only a VERY VERY little of asm, mostly from playing around with magickit. I'm really very intersted in the master system/gg, as it was my first console system, and three of my all time favorite games are on it (phantasy star 1,phantasy star gaiden, and phantasy star adventure) so I'd love to be able to actually do something with it....but sadly all my attempts (and boy have I tried! :) have met with failure. I just can't knock into my head how to assemble z80 asm into a proper sms or gg file :{

As for what would help....asmINNApill could be good :P I think seriously though, what would be a big help to me would be a kind of z80 for dummies ^^ Something to kind of hold my hand though the basics, untill I get to the point of being able to somewhat stand on my feet to get to how I usually learn programing lnaguages, messing around with other peoples code, making tiny changes in things I kind of understand, and seeing what will happen :)

> On a side note, I am currently trying to create a tool to help SMS/GG software developers. It's a SMS/GG debugging emulator called MesaDX. So far, I have received very little feedback about it, and conclude that not many people have used it (which is understandable since it doesn't include graphics emulation.)

Oh, I'll have to give it a look when I get a day off (whenever that's going to be....stupid scedule rewrites :) I won't understand any of it I thik, but hey, it could still be fun!

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!