Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Black Belt & Hokuto no Ken Select Round Cheat

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Black Belt & Hokuto no Ken Select Round Cheat
Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:42 pm
Enri strike again!
He found new cheats during hacking sesssion, and posted on the Japanese forum about them:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6512

There a continue (different one) for Space Harrier and a Sound Test for Space Harrier also. Someone would translate those for me :)

The other new code is a Select Round for Black Belt & Hokuto no Ken.
The procedure is:
At title screen, with controller 2, do:
UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, UP-LEFT, UP-RIGHT, DOWN-RIGHT, DOWN-LEFT, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, UP, UP-RIGHT, UP-RIGHT.
Then with controller 2 you can select a value using up and press a button to start game.

Values are as following:

0 : Chapter 1
1 : Chapter 1 Boss
2 : Chapter 2
3 : Chapter 2 Boss
4 : Chapter 3
5 : Chapter 3 Boss
6 : Chapter 4
7 : Chapter 4 Boss
8 : Chapter 5
9 : Chapter 5 Boss
A : Chapter 6

This cheat is VERY difficult to do and you don't have much time. Enri himself mention that it took him 1 hour of attempts to succeed. Maybe it's better with a SMS pad or a pad, but if you're trying with an emulator and a keyboard, the diagonal are difficult to do and the game doesn't want any intermediate press.

He also mention that you can use MEKA memory editor facility to check out if the game properly registered your inputs. At address DB6B there's a counter that goes from 00 to 12 depending on where you are in the input. If it reset to 00, it means you made a mistake.

I had myself to cheat to input this cheat (!) by slowing down emulation and using save states. Of course you can also use the memory editor to write value 12 directly to address DB6B.

He also provide a ROM hack to enable this code by default: write FF instead of 00 at ROM location DB86. You can use the memory editor in MEKA or hex-edit the ROM file itself for that.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:17 pm
wow... how is he finding these cheats out?

I remember finding weird "cheats" by randomly unplugging and plugging in the cart, followed by pressing pause... I found that Choplifter contained a Mark III logo (not that I had any idea what that was) and a level select that way, and that Jurassic Park had one too, which has never been documented, as far as I can find out (you can get it by pressing the Pause button just as the sega BIOS logo disappears)

/ramble
Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:53 am
Thanks man, I just brought Black Belt off the net for a $9. These cheats could not have come at a better time.
Xofdam1138
Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:20 pm
I had a similar experience, a friend of mine who was called Mark would wiggle Zillion II: The Tri Formation around in his SMS on boot up and it would display the Mark III logo, he claimed it was a message to him as he was called Mark! Well when your 9 you would believe anything, or at least I did.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 pm
Bock wrote
There a continue (different one) for Space Harrier and a Sound Test for Space Harrier also. Someone would translate those for me :)

The other new code is a Select Round for Black Belt & Hokuto no Ken.
The procedure is:
At title screen, with controller 2, do:
UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, UP-LEFT, UP-RIGHT, DOWN-RIGHT, DOWN-LEFT, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, UP, UP-RIGHT, UP-RIGHT.
Then with controller 2 you can select a value using up and press a button to start game.

Values are as following:

0 : Chapter 1
1 : Chapter 1 Boss
2 : Chapter 2
3 : Chapter 2 Boss
4 : Chapter 3
5 : Chapter 3 Boss
6 : Chapter 4
7 : Chapter 4 Boss
8 : Chapter 5
9 : Chapter 5 Boss
A : Chapter 6

This cheat is VERY difficult to do and you don't have much time. Enri himself mention that it took him 1 hour of attempts to succeed. Maybe it's better with a SMS pad or a pad, but if you're trying with an emulator and a keyboard, the diagonal are difficult to do and the game doesn't want any intermediate press.

I had a look at those Space Harrier Cheats in his latest post, and I already had all of them on my Cheats Database.... BUT seeing that he had LRDU listed as the sound test code made me double check my own database, an made me realise I had mistakenly listed the sound test as RLDU.

I'll have to take some time and see if I can get the blackbelt cheat to work now.

**Edit** - My brain must have been turned off, it IS RLDU. I reversed Left and Right in my head when I tested it. Which means Enri got it wrong, unless I misread the translation of his post.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:27 pm
unfnknblvbl wrote
wow... how is he finding these cheats out?

This is done by hacking the game data and/or code.
Enri is pretty good at it. My idea now is that if we write tools that are good enough, we can make hacking much easier in many ways. In the latest WIP version of MEKA (http://www.smspower.org/meka/wip/) or other tools such as MesaDX which allows advanced breakpoints, using the debugger can helps figuring this kind of thing:

In MEKA debugger:
Step 1:
break r io dc-dd (break when program read from IO DCh-DDh, which are joypad inputs)
or
watch r io dc-dd (watch and log when read from IO DCh-DDh)

Step 2:
Once you got a break, watch out where the read values are stored in memory.
Say, you find out that the controller 1 value is stored at xxxx.
Then using:
break r xxxx
You can inspect whenever the game read this location and see what it does.
Of course, it is no where automatic, and still very technical, but it's much easier than without.

I think that with the emergence of better tools (and I intend to help by doing some) hacking will get much easier than in the past. My other thread about "which SMS game would you like to see translated" reflect that, I think, at this point, it's getting more faisable than before to start translation projects of Japanese games.

I remember finding weird "cheats" by randomly unplugging and plugging in the cart, followed by pressing pause... I found that Choplifter contained a Mark III logo (not that I had any idea what that was) and a level select that way, and that Jurassic Park had one too, which has never been documented, as far as I can find out (you can get it by pressing the Pause button just as the sega BIOS logo disappears)

As for the Mark III logo in various games, this happen when the game detect a Japanese console. Various havoc happens when you unplug/plug a cartridge live, and this may screw some game variable letting the game think it detected a Japanese machine earlier.

Thanks for the tips on Jurassic Park. I just confirmed it: press PAUSE just as the sega BIOS logo disappears and it gets you a Sound Select. Raccoon Lad will want to add that to his cheat repository.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:10 pm
Yes, yes I will.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm
Hi, I was pulling out sprites from Black Belt. And I noticed here that there was a cheat code to access a hidden level.

http://www.smspower.org/Cheats/BlackBelt-SMS

I was not able to reproduce it. So I looked elsewhere on the internet, and I found alternative versions to this cheat. But none allowed me to get to that level. The only thing I got is this screen (I don't know how ?).

I wonder if I missed something, because I do not usually see errors on SMSPOWER :-)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 pm
As noted in the linked page, it is incredibly hard to do because you have to press the diagonals exactly correctly, which is almost impossible. You can try hard pausing (F12 in Meka) and then holding the keys before unpausing. The screenshot is evidence of it working as described, that's one of the ways we confirm valid cheats.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:40 am
I think he is talking about the Hidden Level one, which is supposed to be UPx20 ?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 am
Maxim wrote
As noted in the linked page, it is incredibly hard to do because you have to press the diagonals exactly correctly, which is almost impossible. You can try hard pausing (F12 in Meka) and then holding the keys before unpausing. The screenshot is evidence of it working as described, that's one of the ways we confirm valid cheats.

Thank you for the return, I may not have been explicit enough. But, as Bock suggests, I was referring to the Bonus/Hidden Level with the 20X Up (not the "Level Select").
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:31 am
Sorry :) Maybe it only works in the Japanese version, or maybe it's one of the fake cheats that got through the net.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 pm
Maxim wrote
Sorry :) Maybe it only works in the Japanese version, or maybe it's one of the fake cheats that got through the net.

Okay, I'm sorry and I apologize but I finally figured it out.
I had already reached "chapter 7" where we confront all the bosses. But I did not understand that it was the hidden level.
Indeed, if you press the "up" key, a counter increments in the RAM at DB68. If you hit at least 20 "up" (14 in hex), you go to chapter 7.
So, it's not a fake cheat ;-)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!