Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Boxes, package, sets, accessories?

Reply to topic
Boxes, package, sets, accessories?
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:21 pm
Could be great to find some pictures of the different sms packaging and boxed accessories on the site. What do you think about it?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:36 pm
Kenneth wrote
Could be great to find some pictures of the different sms packaging and boxed accessories on the site. What do you think about it?

This is something I have planned.
I still have to figure out if I'll be able to provide scan of the boxes (I have no idea how to scan those properly), but at least listing of boxes with pictures and info about release location, date, contents, etc.

So far I have 26 different SMS packages.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:33 pm
Scanning big things is tricky. This, this and this are some of the things I've scanned that are bigger than my scanner and which I had to try to re-assemble. The problems are (for my scanner at least, yours should be a lot better):

1. The scanner's colour reproduction varies, especially at the edges, so the overlapping parts sometimes look noticeably different; this guide gives an example of that. As usual, having lots of RAM (I got an extra 512MB for Christmas) makes a world of difference for this (merging four 300dpi scans at 32 bits per pixel per layer).

2. My scanner produces noticeably skewed images. Fixing them is not easy :( so either I have to make sure everything is aligned the same (so skewing is the same over the combined image) or try very hard to fix it.

3. If you have even half a degree of rotation an images, it is likely to be impossible to line up with the others. This is a real nightmare. I tried to scan my Japanese SMS box and I was using spacers to align it with the scanner's edges, but it still defeated me. Correcting the rotation is an option but I didn't have nearly enough RAM then. Maybe I'll try it again one day.

I've looked into automatic image "stitching" software (Google finds far too many cross-stitching sites when searching for this) and most is aimed towards photo stitching, so it does more warping of the images than we want. All we want is skewing and rotation, no curvature correction is needed... maybe it is possible though. Panorama Tools looks like it might be useful for this. Damn, now I'll have to try it some time :)
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:55 pm
Pictures would be neccessary:shows the volume, the package content etc etc etc
Also, scan of some interesting parts of the box (text, logo or anything else) would be nice to complete.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!