Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Developement Kit

Reply to topic
Lin Ke-Fong
SMS Developement Kit
Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 1999 4:04 pm
Hi everyone,

Does someone know who can have Sega's "official" Software Developement Kit for the Sega Master
System? That can be interesting.

Bye,

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 1999 10:34 pm
> Does someone know who can have Sega's "official" Software Developement Kit for the Sega Master
> System? That can be interesting.

I'm afraid there was absolutly no development kits, back in the time. Only documentations, which are not much better than the ones publicly available on the net (and SMS Power).

Sega started to provides more help to the external developers with the Genesis and Game Gear. There is a program called the "Sega Graphic Editor" which is a very complete tools to draw/convert/modify tiles, arrange tile maps and create animations. It was first made for the Genesis, but it shouldn't be a problem to use it for Game Gear development, and SMS, provided that you create a converter for the palette thing.
Lin Ke-Fong
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 3:02 am
> > Does someone know who can have Sega's "official" Software Developement Kit for the Sega Master
> > System? That can be interesting.

> I'm afraid there was absolutly no development kits, back in the time. Only documentations, which are not much better than the ones publicly available on the net (and SMS Power).

> Sega started to provides more help to the external developers with the Genesis and Game Gear. There is a program called the "Sega Graphic Editor" which is a very complete tools to draw/convert/modify tiles, arrange tile maps and create animations. It was first made for the Genesis, but it shouldn't be a problem to use it for Game Gear development, and SMS, provided that you create a converter for the palette thing.

Are you sure about that? I don't remember well, but if I am not wrong there is SMS website which said that
one of the guy was close to get one of those SDK, anyway actual doc are okay however.

ziggy880
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 1:09 pm
> > Does someone know who can have Sega's "official" Software Developement Kit for the Sega Master
> > System? That can be interesting.

> I'm afraid there was absolutly no development kits, back in the time. Only documentations, which are not much better than the ones publicly available on the net (and SMS Power).

> Sega started to provides more help to the external developers with the Genesis and Game Gear. There is a program called the "Sega Graphic Editor" which is a very complete tools to draw/convert/modify tiles, arrange tile maps and create animations. It was first made for the Genesis, but it shouldn't be a problem to use it for Game Gear development, and SMS, provided that you create a converter for the palette thing.

The genesis used a bulky format where each nibble (4 bits half a byte) = 1 color of the tile whereas the sms uses a bitplane system like most other older systems
for tiles all in all itd probally just be easier to use the many tools available for the gb and then just convert the pallette by hand

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 6:41 pm
> Are you sure about that? I don't remember well, but if I am not wrong there is SMS website which said that
> one of the guy was close to get one of those SDK,

PAF SMS page. He said he is now trying to get one. And he added this mention on the site about 18 months ago.

> anyway actual doc are okay however.

They're nothing more than the docs already on the net, really.

(putain ca me fait bizarre de te parler en anglais :-)
Hey! Watch your Mouth, Zoop! ;) *nt*
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 4:07 am
*nt*
Lin Ke-Fong
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 5:07 am
> > Are you sure about that? I don't remember well, but if I am not wrong there is SMS website which said that
> > one of the guy was close to get one of those SDK,
> PAF SMS page. He said he is now trying to get one. And he added this mention on the site about 18 months ago.

Okay but what SMS page, I can't remember, I'd like to personnaly e-mail the guy.

> > anyway actual doc are okay however.
> They're nothing more than the docs already on the net, really.

Yea, but however they are *official* documentation, and I'd like to have some sort of "solid" documentation,
would be nice to have someone scan'em.

> (putain ca me fait bizarre de te parler en anglais :-)
Bah alors? :)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 1:33 pm
> > PAF SMS page. He said he is now trying to get one. And he added this mention on the site about 18 months ago.
> Okay but what SMS page, I can't remember, I'd like to personnaly e-mail the guy.

Alright. The site is at http://www.dnc.net/users/pafnews/ but don't expect an answer as the guy lost his internet connection about nine months ago.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!