SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game listing

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Game listing
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:24 pm
My idea for the global (or per-system) listing would be to show 1 line per game name:

system - game name - release country flag(s)

Where flags are on the right, correctly aligned by country. Nothing extraordinary here. So, a game with several names would have several entries in the listing.

Should "Jungle Book", "Le Livre de la Jungle", "Das Dschungelbuch" be listed several times? What about the unreleased "Monster World II" name, for exemple?

I think a solution would be to be able to filter listings:

I want to be able to have a giant listing of all known names, but if I want to get a list of the all MarkIII/SMS games released in Japan (84 in total), or in USA (100+) ?

On a "Japan filter" listing, Monster World II should not appear. Meaning that some entries may be only displayed on an unfiltered listing!
So - It would not be possible to show Monster World II with any filter. The same apply for prototypes, or alternate names such as "Party Games" which is what the Japanese "Family Games" cartridge shows on an english system, but the version released here is "Parlour Games". So "Party Games" is neither in Japanese release listing neither in European/US release listing.
Does it seems correct to you to have at all it in the global listing?

Should those names get a flag? What's the flag of "Party Games", since this title is in a Japanese cartridge but only when played on an export system? What's the flag of "Monster World II" ?

I'm not sure if I am clear enough with my explanation... this is confusing.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:41 am
> Should "Jungle Book", "Le Livre de la Jungle", "Das Dschungelbuch" be listed several times? What about the unreleased "Monster World II" name, for exemple?

Well, they're sub-categories of "Europe", so a search for "Europe" should list them.

> I want to be able to have a giant listing of all known names, but if I want to get a list of the all MarkIII/SMS games released in Japan (84 in total), or in USA (100+) ?

Then you choose "Japan" or "USA" (see below).

> On a "Japan filter" listing, Monster World II should not appear. Meaning that some entries may be only displayed on an unfiltered listing!

That's because you can have "Japan (unreleased)", "Export (unreleased)", etc, so MWII would be "Japan (unreleased)", Party Games woudl be "Export (unreleased)", with appropriate descriptions on the linked pages explaining the situation. A prototype would then qualify for unreleased in any country. It's issues like this that make categorisation so hard :)

> Should those names get a flag? What's the flag of "Party Games", since this title is in a Japanese cartridge but only when played on an export system? What's the flag of "Monster World II" ?

Well, what is the flag for an export game? Perhaps a US and European flag (and Brazil, and Australia/NZ, ..?!). A flag for a game designed for a particular region but not released would then be that region's flag(s) with a "cancellation" like a line or cross through it (them).

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 am
> > Should "Jungle Book", "Le Livre de la Jungle", "Das Dschungelbuch" be listed several times? What about the unreleased "Monster World II" name, for exemple?

> Well, they're sub-categories of "Europe", so a search for "Europe" should list them.

Not even in a search, but in a global listing of all titles.

[...]
> > On a "Japan filter" listing, Monster World II should not appear. Meaning that some entries may be only displayed on an unfiltered listing!

> That's because you can have "Japan (unreleased)", "Export (unreleased)", etc, so MWII would be "Japan (unreleased)", Party Games woudl be "Export (unreleased)", with appropriate descriptions on the linked pages explaining the situation. A prototype would then qualify for unreleased in any country. It's issues like this that make categorisation so hard :)

Adding an "unreleased" flag in the 'game_version' table is a good idea and helps solving some problems. I'll do that.

> > Should those names get a flag? What's the flag of "Party Games", since this title is in a Japanese cartridge but only when played on an export system? What's the flag of "Monster World II" ?

> Well, what is the flag for an export game? Perhaps a US and European flag (and Brazil, and Australia/NZ, ..?!).

Each 'game' has several lines in the 'game_version' table.
So in the listing for a common game, say, Kenseiden, we will see Japanese, US, European and Brasilian flags on the right, in a game listing.

A game listing is when you search for games or if you look up into an index.
It would show something like:

SMS - Kenseiden __________________________________ JAP USA EUR BRA

on a single line.

However on the game page itself, versions will be described more in details
on separates lines (and perhaps in the content itself).

I'm putting Australia/NZ away for the moment in the case of regular games, since it's difficult to list releases know. But their flags will be used for "4 Pak All Action" and many SC-3000 software.

>A flag for a game designed for a particular region but not released would
>then be that region's flag(s) with a "cancellation" like a line or cross
>through it (them).

This is difficult to rationalize, but wouldn't be a bad idea.
We can use the 'unreleased' flag for that.
Eg: Out Run 3D was announced in Japan.
  • Site Admin
Some more annoying names cases
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:59 am
They don't necessary requires changes at all, but I'm just listing a few, not to forgot them. Also read the Handling particular games listing thread.

Japanese "Great Tennis":
Box and manual say "Great Tennis", game say "Super Tennis".

- suggestion: Great Tennis as name, as Super Tennis note in release comment field. Since the game will be on the same page as export Super Tennis, it won't be a problem.

European "Super Command(o)":
Title screen says "Super Commando".

- suggestion: Super Command seems to be the more official name. Add a note on release comment field. Now, one concern is to be able to lookup the game by searching for "Super Commando", but additionnal keywords are available for that.

I'm now working on the DB model, and though about adding an automatically regenerated table holding merged names from all game versions. This could be used for the listing and search features. The reason is that it's better not doing the 'merge' in real-time and I don't think we can do that in an SQL request either.
The merge means that all "Phantasy Star" and "Phantasy Star / ファンタシステー" game_version gets merged into a single listing item.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!