SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New Monster World remake announced

Reply to topic
New Monster World remake announced
Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 am
Last edited by Logbomber on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
A new Monster World game has been announced by Ryuichi Nishizawa at Devcom. He also retweeted this article:

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1202024.html

Finally, as a surprise, Ryuichi Nishizawa himself announced that he was preparing a new “Monster World” series separately from this one. It is a reboot work that goes beyond mere transplantation and remake, and the original author may have been inspired by the movement of remake and reboot overseas one after another. There will be further reports during this month. Expectation is high for fans of the series.

EDIT It's a remake, see my post further down:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/17637-NewMonsterWorldRemakeAnnounced#107576
Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:28 pm
Wow, another game? That´s fantastic, thanks for sharing Logbomber!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 am
It seems Ryuichi Nishizawa is going to be more involved in developing this one. I can't wait to find out more!!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:54 am
I have mixed feelings on this. Primarily because it's exactly what I've been working on for the last 2 years! And I'd been intending to approach Ryu and LAT to discuss a potential license. Now I'm not sure what may happen. I guess in the end the only thing that matters to me is the creation of new art based on this fantastic franchise!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am
Immo wrote
I have mixed feelings on this. Primarily because it's exactly what I've been working on for the last 2 years! And I'd been intending to approach Ryu and LAT to discuss a potential license. Now I'm not sure what may happen. I guess in the end the only thing that matters to me is the creation of new art based on this fantastic franchise!

Keep in mind that working on a project you don´t have a license for, it´s kind of ´illegal´ (sorry if the word sounds a bit rough), even if you love the franchise without having bad goals in mind. You have to reckon that a situation like this appears. It´s like people working on Alex Kidd games they don´t have a green light for. You can make fan games, but never expect more unless you ask for the licence before you start working on your project.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 pm
Gordman wrote
Keep in mind that working on a project you don´t have a license for, it´s kind of ´illegal´

well, I would say it isn't, unless you're distributing that.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 pm
sverx wrote
Gordman wrote
Keep in mind that working on a project you don´t have a license for, it´s kind of ´illegal´

well, I would say it isn't, unless you're distributing that.

Which is the usual goal in the end (money making or not), so..^^
Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Last edited by IllusionOfMana on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
yeah, its not per say illegal. A rights holder(s) do maintain the ability to protect their IP but some just dont care when it comes to things like free fan projects. Some will even hire individuals who show exceptional skill in it. IMO, Its always worth a shot to see what the IP owners think and shoot them an email or msg. The worst you'll get is a "please stop" and the best youll get is probably a job lol. As long as youre not distributing anything based on an IP that doesnt belong to you for monetary gain then its really not going to kill you lol. There are a ton of huge grey areas such as profiting for effort put into it not for the likeness of the IP itself but its best to avoid all of that all together.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 am
As an example, the guys doing the fan Alex Kidd remake are having conversations with Sega regarding the game....
Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:45 am
It's definitely about being a fan for me, and if I can't get some kind of official approval then my project will never be released. I'd never sabotage the possibility of a legal release by trying to make money at any stage. I won't even try crowdfunding :)

As Ryuichi Nishizawa is planning his own official reboot then there's no point keeping my fan project under wraps any longer. Here are some screenshots from my re-imagining of Wonder Boy In Monster Land, a game I call "Monsterland Meka" monsterlandmeka.com

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:44 pm
It actually looks pretty nice!
Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 am
Last edited by Logbomber on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
I found the video of the Monster Boy panel at Devcom and it turns out not to be a sequel but a remake, the article was misleading.

Here is the video, the info is right at the end:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472467509?collection=bmRgPHxjvhUHiw

Here is what the translator for Ryuichi Nishizawa says:
So now we have the opportunity to make more sequel of the new game.

So not now the sequel is not open for the information but maybe after some point he can bring some more news for the sequel.

So actually it's quite hard to remake what I made once, it's quite hard to do that.

Phillip Doschl (Co-founder of FDG Entertainment):
Just to be clear it's a not a sequel it's a remake.

Translator:
Sorry it's a remake. It's not a port it's a remake.

It would be great if a Japanese speaker could translate it more accurately.

It's interesting that Phillip Doschl from FDG Entertainment seems to know something about it. He prompts Ryuichi Nishizawa to say something about it initially and then he corrects the translator on the sequel issue. I wonder if FDG is involved, probably as publisher.

Also note Ryuichi Nishizawa says that it's hard to remake a previous game that he made. He didn't work on Wonder Boy in Monster World (Monster World III), so that means the remake is likely to be either Wonder Boy in Monster Land or Monster World IV.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm
But the problem is: Ryu will create a remake of a Wonder Boy / Monster World game having free access of using the Wonder Boy / Monster World trademark from Sega, plus his old intelectual proprieties from LAT Corpotation? Or he will create a remake by creating an all-new original title?
Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm
I think that before Westone went bankrupt Ryuichi Nishizawa made some sort of arrangement with LAT Corp so that he could keep control of the series IP. So it will have LAT Corp licensing at the very least. Will it have the 'Wonder Boy' and/or 'Monster World' title? Who knows, but I'm looking forward to finding out more ^_^
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!